Author Topic: Celtics (2-2) at Bucks (3-1) Game #5 10/25/17  (Read 39660 times)

Re: Celtics (2-2) at Bucks (3-1) Game #5 10/25/17
« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I didn't watch the home opener so this was the first of Giannis I'd seen this season. Is anyone else shocked by how much muscle he has put on? He looks like a much taller Corey Maggette, for those who remember him. He makes some of his teammates like Middleton and Henson look like toothpicks.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
There's nothing I find more annoying than people complaining about Smart's shot selection, and nothing I find more satisfying than Smart draining clutch threes.

Really? Cuz he has AWFUL shot selection.

He really does. His “heat check shot” that invariably follows every 3 is my least favorite Celtics pastime of 2017.
He drains clutch threes. Can't take that away from him. That's one thing that has earned him so many minutes despite his historically bad shooting.

Regardless, he still takes way too many bad threes that he has no business shooting. They are horribly annoying, and set the team back. Guy has the smarts of a piece of rock sometimes.
TBH, I don't think that's Brad's reason for playing him as much as he does.
Well, I said one thing :) But honestly, the fact that he plays nearly 30 a night for a very good team despite the fact that he's one of the poorest shooters in the history of the game is a testament of how strong his contributions are in other aspects of the game.

Still, some of those shots... SMH.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
There's nothing I find more annoying than people complaining about Smart's shot selection, and nothing I find more satisfying than Smart draining clutch threes.

Really? Cuz he has AWFUL shot selection.

He really does. His “heat check shot” that invariably follows every 3 is my least favorite Celtics pastime of 2017.
He drains clutch threes. Can't take that away from him. That's one thing that has earned him so many minutes despite his historically bad shooting.

Regardless, he still takes way too many bad threes that he has no business shooting. They are horribly annoying, and set the team back. Guy has the smarts of a piece of rock sometimes.
TBH, I don't think that's Brad's reason for playing him as much as he does.
Well, I said one thing :) But honestly, the fact that he plays nearly 30 a night for a very good team despite the fact that he's one of the poorest shooters in the history of the game is a testament of how strong his contributions are in other aspects of the game.

Still, some of those shots... SMH.

Yup, agree with all comments.  His gunning for shots and waiting til the end of the shot clock drive me crazy, but his chances of hitting 3's seem to double in the last 2-3 minutes of games, and he obviously brings several other skills and great intangibles to the table.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #573 on: October 27, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Feel like we escaped with a win there but Kyrie first half and Horford second half really bailed us out

Isn't that what stars of your team are supposed to do?

Yeah, but you still aren't supposed to take it for granted, especially when the star of the other team is the obvious front runner for MVP, and your 2nd best player was just lost for the year.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #574 on: October 27, 2017, 09:56:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Satisfying win.   Team couldn't buy a bucket but kept grinding.  Especially on the defensive end. 

Already in love with this team.  Entertaining yet scrappy.  They'll certainly be some growing pains but its a fun & likeable bunch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #575 on: October 27, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
One thing that stuck out in my mind that was different than last year's teams was the Kyrie block on Middleton on the post up. Last year the C's would have 100% helped IT early in that situation.

Kyrie is still getting targeted by opposing teams like IT was but the degree hasn't been as extreme so far. Nor have the C's helped in such an extreme manner.

« Reply #576 on: October 27, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Feel like we escaped with a win there but Kyrie first half and Horford second half really bailed us out

I got the opposite feeling.  Even when the Celtics were down points.   It seemed to me the Bucks were treading water the whole game .  The Celtics seemed to be ready to drown them any minute .

Bucks , caught the Celtics in the first game at very very bad point , huge emotional distress over Gordons injury , Morris injury , upsetting of whatever fragile amount of team cohesion had been built in preseason .  Bucks took advantage of a crippled , emotionally down team . 

I think the better team won and there was nothing the Bucks could do to stop it .....being a special day , special place, special court , etc .....etc ....  Better talent prevailed.

I would say that I agree that indeed the better team won. I'm not sure we are also the better team if Stevens wasn't coaching.

« Reply #577 on: October 27, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
One thing that stuck out in my mind that was different than last year's teams was the Kyrie block on Middleton on the post up. Last year the C's would have 100% helped IT early in that situation.

Kyrie is still getting targeted by opposing teams like IT was but the degree hasn't been as extreme so far. Nor have the C's helped in such an extreme manner.
according to my eye test, Kyrie Irving is perhaps the worst defender Ive ever seen when it comes to fighting over screens. Outside of that, hes not been too bad. Hes really active in passing lanes etc. and I havent noticed him as especially bad off-ball.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #578 on: October 27, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

according to my eye test, Kyrie Irving is perhaps the worst defender Ive ever seen when it comes to fighting over screens. Outside of that, hes not been too bad. Hes really active in passing lanes etc. and I havent noticed him as especially bad off-ball.

I think he's substantially better than IT, and isn't undersized.  It matters.  It improves the defense that he is the smallest guy out there a lot of times.  Teams could base their whole offense around going at IT and I don't think it's the same with Kyrie.  He's been holding his own.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #579 on: October 27, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
https://twitter.com/celtics/status/923729788149420032

I have watched this play a LOT for the Kyrie ball handling but great detail that I saw Al Horford shout out after the game, watch the back screen Smart sets that gets Al open.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #580 on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I think he's substantially better than IT, and isn't undersized.  It matters.  It improves the defense that he is the smallest guy out there a lot of times.  Teams could base their whole offense around going at IT and I don't think it's the same with Kyrie.  He's been holding his own.
I agree. I just think he has a better ability in space. Thomas, despite his size and quickness, wasn't really exceptional in staying in front of people or playing the passing lanes.

Kyrie doesn't seem to enjoy contact too much, but effort, positioning, and reaction haven't been an issue so far. We've upgraded his position defensively this season, without a question.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."