Author Topic: How about a little Horford Appreciation?  (Read 4858 times)

Re: How about a little Horford Appreciation?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
There is one big man in the league better than him. Marc Gasol.

That's it... And yes, he is better than Anthony Davis.

Jokic is right there in the rearview mirror though...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
The man carried us to the Eastern Conference Finals his first year here, He elevated us to the 3rd or 4th best team in the league.

He elevates everyone's game around him, most notably IT... and is a Can Do It All Player.

The wins speak for themselves. The Playoffs performance speaks for itself.

Anyone who questions his worth is a darn foolish fellow.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
The man carried us to the Eastern Conference Finals his first year here, He elevated us to the 3rd or 4th best team in the league.

He elevates everyone's game around him, most notably IT... and is a Can Do It All Player.

This. I don't understand how anyone could watch the whole playoff run last season and question Horford's value.

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Das Glue guy.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We've been a lot better once he arrived.

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Horford is our Timmy.  Makes everyone better , does everything good.  I actually felt he was MVP last year over IT

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We've been a lot better once he arrived.

that sums it up.  Totally professional .

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 07:48:30 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

This. I don't understand how anyone could watch the whole playoff run last season and question Horford's value.

Those are people who only look at his stat sheet and never watch how he impact games. I read somewhere that the team's offensive rating dips 20% worse without him.

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 10:04:13 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
There is one big man in the league better than him. Marc Gasol.

That's it... And yes, he is better than Anthony Davis.

Jokic is right there in the rearview mirror though...

While it is a personal choice, I must highly recommend saying no to drugs.  They can make an individual say all kinds of crazy insane things!

:P

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Horford didn't carry us to the ECF...

Without Bradley's play on Jimmy Butler through the entire bulls series, we would not have made it past the first round.

That said he was a big part of our success, no denying that.

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
But we should trade him for Vucevic, I thought ...

Yes please, I would be OK with this.

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 10:10:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Horford's about as awesome as a player can get without actually being a superstar. Like an elite glue guy.

Spend some time during games just watching Al run around- where he goes, what his instincts are, how he contributes to plays without touching the ball. It's really fun to watch. And he seems to be moving better so far this year.

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Horford's about as awesome as a player can get without actually being a superstar. Like an elite glue guy.

Spend some time during games just watching Al run around- where he goes, what his instincts are, how he contributes to plays without touching the ball. It's really fun to watch. And he seems to be moving better so far this year.

He does look a lot better this year mobility wise, but that could have a lot to do with it being early in the year and his still being relatively fresh.  Still, it's a good sign which I'm happy to see.  He's defense is the one thing that I'd say has been consistently excellent so far.

My issue (for lack of a better word) with Horford is that this far he has been horribly inconsistent, and you just don't know what you're going to get from him between one day and the next.

One day he'll give you 18, 11 and 6.  The next day he'll give you 6, 5 and 8.  The next game he'll give you 9, 7 and 3.

One day he'll shut down Porzingis, next day. Kevin Love will drop 25 on him.

When he's on his game he can be a difference maker, when he's not sometimes you forget he's even in the floor because he just dissapears entirely.

When he's at his best he's an all star Calibre player for sure, but when he's at his worst he doesn't even look worthy of a starting spot...and he's at his worst far too often for a $27m man.

Let's hope he can prove me wrong and show me consistency this year, but so far he's still been pretty all over the place.

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Horford didn't carry us to the ECF...

Without Bradley's play on Jimmy Butler through the entire bulls series, we would not have made it past the first round.

That said he was a big part of our success, no denying that.

Horford was our MVP the Bulls series... he was vastly more productive and efficient then Bradley, the counting stats and advanced stats all favor Al by quite a bit.

Al had 60/54/85 shooting splits for the series...  and led our team in assists and rebounds, pretty ridiculous.

Guarding Jimmy butler was great but it was definitely a team effort.

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18

He does look a lot better this year mobility wise, but that could have a lot to do with it being early in the year and his still being relatively fresh.  Still, it's a good sign which I'm happy to see.  He's defense is the one thing that I'd say has been consistently excellent so far.

My issue (for lack of a better word) with Horford is that this far he has been horribly inconsistent, and you just don't know what you're going to get from him between one day and the next.

One day he'll give you 18, 11 and 6.  The next day he'll give you 6, 5 and 8.  The next game he'll give you 9, 7 and 3.

One day he'll shut down Porzingis, next day. Kevin Love will drop 25 on him.

When he's on his game he can be a difference maker, when he's not sometimes you forget he's even in the floor because he just dissapears entirely.

When he's at his best he's an all star Calibre player for sure, but when he's at his worst he doesn't even look worthy of a starting spot...and he's at his worst far too often for a $27m man.

Let's hope he can prove me wrong and show me consistency this year, but so far he's still been pretty all over the place.

How has he been all over the place? He almost always plays pretty well, and you seem to be completely forgetting about the effect he has when he is on the court.  Also keep in mind that the NBA has had a massive shift in the last 4 years and now a Shooting / Passing big man is far far more valuable than one who Rebounds and scores 2PT FGs.

Last season Al was 2nd among all Power Forwards and Centers in APG.  This has a profoundly positive effect on your team when your Center is a great passer.  The 5 APG are no small feat by a big man in this league. Also, Al was among the best 3 point shooting bigs to go along with being the best passing big.

There is a reason the Celtics went from the 5th seed to the 1st seed... from 1st Round Exit to ECF.  Nothing really changed on our team except we added Al and he helped ignite IT with elite floor spacing and passing for a big man.

So when Dwight Howard gets 22 rebounds and 18 points but his team loses again because he provides zero spacing and zero play creation... are you telling me those 22 rebounds are more important? They aren't.  They simply are not.  Teams are trending away from caring about rebounds.  They mean way less then having a skilled big space the floor.

Al is a rare big.  There are not many who have his range and vision.  I would say maybe only Marc Gasol, and possibly someone I am unaware of. 

Al is worth every penny of his max!