Author Topic: For the Ben Simmons critics..  (Read 4655 times)

For the Ben Simmons critics..
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:07:27 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
After his first 4 games as an NBA pro, Ben Simmons is averaging 17 points, 10.8 rebounds, 7 assists and 1 steal and 49% FG - the kid has "Franchise Player" written all over him.

I just don't get why so many people were expecting Simmons to be a bust.  I just can't grasp it.  The guy has one of the most unique and impressive talent sets I've seen come into the league in years, and may well be the best passing + ball handling guy at 6'10" ever to play the game, and combines that with elite athleticism, elite rebounding and a dominant transition game.  If this kid ever develops even just a PASSABLE jump shot, he will be absolutely unstoppable.

I'm glad to have the opportunity to witness a player with such special talent set, and I only wish the Celtics pick had fallen a couple of spots higher that year so we could have snatched him up for ourselves.  Moving forward with Simmons and Tatum as the future of the Celtics would have been an absolute godsend!

Anyhow, for the sake of the game I really hope this kid can stay healthy and continues to flourish and grow - it's fun seeing unique talents like Simmons and Giannis single handedly redefine the concept of "positionless basketball". 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:07:29 AM by Roy H. »

Re: For the Ben Simmons haters...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:10:23 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Will still be rooting for Jaylen to kick his ass every time we face Simmons.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Look at his shot chart. He is a terrible shooter in college and pros and lacks confidence in his ability to score on jump shots. He has taken TWO three pointers thus far, missing both.

His ft shooting is 55% so far.

Next, his defense is poor.

Fourth, he is putting up big numbers on a bad team.

He has some great talents, but he also has significant holes in his game. it is still very early in his career. Lets wait and see before making definitive statements.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 11:47:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, his numbers are pretty hollow. He's a good player, and could one day be a great one - yet he has a long way to go. He has considerable flaws in his game
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:56:32 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Look at his shot chart. He is a terrible shooter in college and pros and lacks confidence in his ability to score on jump shots. He has taken TWO three pointers thus far, missing both.

He has some great talents, but he also has significant holes in his game. it is still very early in his career. Lets wait and see before making definitive statements.

1. Yes, we have determined that his jumpshot is a weak point - he's also only 20 years old, and has plenty of time to work on that.  With his physical tools combined with his impressive skill set, he doesn't need to ever become a great shooer, or even a good one.  All he needs to do is become a PASSABLE shooter and that's enough for him to dominate.

2. Almost all NBA players suck defensively as rookies, and to be honest Simmons (by rookie standards hasn't looked that bad.  He shut Al Horford down completely when we played Philly - Horford tried to post up on Simmons multiple times and threw up ugly bricks almost every time.  Some solid defence from Simmons had a lot to do with that.

3. Big numbers on a bad team is when you are averaging like 18 points on 18 FGA while not doing a whole lot else.  Simmons' scoring numbers might be reflective of this, but the 11 rebounds and 7 assists (from a 20 year old) are not.  That's a special set of skills right there.   

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:01:33 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
After his first 4 games as an NBA pro, Ben Simmons is averaging 17 points, 10.8 rebounds, 7 assists and 1 steal and 49% FG - the kid has "Franchise Player" written all over him.

I just don't get why so many people were expecting Simmons to be a bust.  I just can't grasp it.  The guy has one of the most unique and impressive talent sets I've seen come into the league in years, and may well be the best passing + ball handling guy at 6'10" ever to play the game, and combines that with elite athleticism, elite rebounding and a dominant transition game.  If this kid ever develops even just a PASSABLE jump shot, he will be absolutely unstoppable.

I'm glad to have the opportunity to witness a player with such special talent set, and I only wish the Celtics pick had fallen a couple of spots higher that year so we could have snatched him up for ourselves.  Moving forward with Simmons and Tatum as the future of the Celtics would have been an absolute godsend!

Anyhow, for the sake of the game I really hope this kid can stay healthy and continues to flourish and grow - it's fun seeing unique talents like Simmons and Giannis single handedly redefine the concept of "positionless basketball".

There were 'Ben Simmons haters' that projected him to be a bust?

Honestly I think he is Philly's best prospect by a country mile.

I have zero faith in Embiid to remain healthy.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 12:08:44 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!

Feels like more of see I told you so thread than anything else. Simmons is projecting about right so far. He's also showing he cannot shoot the ball worth a lick. To reach that elite level that will have to change. I've never really bought into the argument anyone can develop a jump shot over time.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 12:12:37 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Feels like more of see I told you so thread than anything else. Simmons is projecting about right so far. He's also showing he cannot shoot the ball worth a lick. To reach that elite level that will have to change. I've never really bought into the argument anyone can develop a jump shot over time.

As an aussie I wish him nothing but the best of luck. He is probably going to be one of the best Australian players ever - if not the best.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't really get this thread at all. Was this meant for a different forum? Most people here have been fairly high on him (I know there are exceptions) He has to become a better shooter to become a franchise player in the mold of Lebron or Kd and that hasn't changed... weird "I told you so thread" to unknown posters

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

1. Yes, we have determined that his jumpshot is a weak point - he's also only 20 years old, and has plenty of time to work on that.  With his physical tools combined with his impressive skill set, he doesn't need to ever become a great shooer, or even a good one.  All he needs to do is become a PASSABLE shooter and that's enough for him to dominate.

2. Almost all NBA players suck defensively as rookies, and to be honest Simmons (by rookie standards hasn't looked that bad.  He shut Al Horford down completely when we played Philly - Horford tried to post up on Simmons multiple times and threw up ugly bricks almost every time.  Some solid defence from Simmons had a lot to do with that.

3. Big numbers on a bad team is when you are averaging like 18 points on 18 FGA while not doing a whole lot else.  Simmons' scoring numbers might be reflective of this, but the 11 rebounds and 7 assists (from a 20 year old) are not.  That's a special set of skills right there.
Regardless of being a rookie, Simmons has been at least average defensively.  He's very switchable.  Doesn't seem to make many typical rookie defensive lapses.  It does help to be playing with Embiid. 

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 12:59:21 AM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Shouldn't this post be in the "All things 76er's" thread?

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=88502.0

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:28:56 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Shouldn't this post be in the "All things 76er's" thread?

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=88502.0

OPs ego cannot be stroked there. He needs this "I told you so" thread.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 06:54:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yeah, his numbers are pretty hollow. He's a good player, and could one day be a great one - yet he has a long way to go. He has considerable flaws in his game
This, TP gouki88.  Every team that loses still scores at least 80-90 points. Simmons is playing major minutes, somebody has to score.

I am not hating, in fact I agree with the entirety of gouki's post including "could one day be a great one".  I urge the OP to not confuse criticism with hate.

Re: For the Ben Simmons critics..
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 07:21:31 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Remember Michael carter Williams ?
He averaged 17p 6r 6as 2st in his rookie season (not just 4 games)

He should be an all star by now .....is he ?

Re: For the Ben Simmons critics..
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

I'm not sure who expected him to be a bust.  He is going to be an all star level player but until he can become a decent outside shooter he will never be a superstar.  But to be able to make plays at his size is really fun to watch.  He has special vision for a big guy and will be good in the post.  But he can't shoot to save his life outside of 5 ft.  It's really bad.