Author Topic: Use DPE on Nerlens Noel  (Read 3595 times)

Use DPE on Nerlens Noel
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ok Noel would fit in the DPE slot and doesn't seem to be fitting in well with the Mavs. If we're going to lose scoring, why not improve defense at the rim. He will be a FA next year.

You'll shot down my Bledsoe idea but this is doable and logical. I like this team but a move must be made. Who's to say Noel wouldn't resign next year. 

Re: Use DPE on Nerlens Noel
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Players who aren't a scoring/shooting threat aren't worth going out of the way for. Like Noel, but not a fit.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:48:25 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We already discussed this, and how there is a 0% chance that he would resign

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94011.15
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I find it hard to believe that a hometown guy would up and leave. This is the same guy that turned down  $11M per for less per year. So if he doesn't resign what have you lost?

There are restrictions on who you can use the DPE on. No guys that have multi year deals...but pending FAs you can trade for.

All I'm saying is we can't lose 25ppg and not feel it at somw point. Since we cant make up the points we can make up the defense.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
I find it hard to believe that a hometown guy would up and leave. This is the same guy that turned down  $11M per for less per year. So if he doesn't resign what have you lost?

There are restrictions on who you can use the DPE on. No guys that have multi year deals...but pending FAs you can trade for.

All I'm saying is we can't lose 25ppg and not feel it at somw point. Since we cant make up the points we can make up the defense.

He turned down $11 million per year to become a UFA and (hopefully) get a bigger contract next summer. Not to lose his Bird Rights and sign with us for, at best, the MLE.  His Bird Rights would not get transfered with a trade (since he signed the QO)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:01:57 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Yeah, I think Noel would be a great pick up.
He improves our team for the year.
If signs elsewhere next year so be it, what did we lose?
If he somehow decides to accept the full MLE from us next year then all the better.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

He turned down $11 million per year to become a UFA and (hopefully) get a bigger contract next summer. Not to lose his Bird Rights and sign with us for, at best, the MLE.  His Bird Rights would not get transfered with a trade (since he signed the QO)
He's playing on his QO this year, whether it's for for the mavs or c's. i'd rather he do so in beantown.
Where he signs next year is secondary.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Don't see Noel agreeing to a trade.  He wants a big contract and he's got a better chance to put up stats in Dallas. 

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

If he somehow decides to accept the full MLE from us next year then all the better.

The assets that we traded for him. It would be one thing if we got him for free, but we'd need to give up assets (picks/young guys) for him. A one year rental of Nerlens Noel isn't worth that

Not to mention that he has the ability to veto any trade, and there's no way he agrees to a trade where he ends up on a team that can't pay him big money (especially one where he would have a smaller role)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 10:36:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What I said was incorrect because I made a mistake, and I'm wiping away evidence.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:55:31 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

The assets that we traded for him. It would be one thing if we got him for free, but we'd need to give up assets (picks/young guys) for him. A one year rental of Nerlens Noel isn't worth that

Not to mention that he has the ability to veto any trade, and there's no way he agrees to a trade where he ends up on a team that can't pay him big money (especially one where he would have a smaller role)

Why? he took the QO to get a bigger payday next year.
I think he's got his bags packed already.

Noel brings it on d. He's a stopgap but that's exactly what we need.
Allows Morrris to play more 3, which helps keep Tatum from burning up before the all star game.
Also helps preserve horford, so maybe he has more juice once he, Haward, and Irving finally make there run.

If the price is the DPE and a late first/couple of seconds I'd gladly pay for the year rental.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 10:51:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Allows Morrris to play more 3, which helps keep Tatum from burning up before the all star game.
Also helps preserve horford, so maybe he has more juice once he, Haward, and Irving finally make there run.

If the price is the DPE and a late first/couple of seconds I'd gladly pay for the year rental.

The Mavs having his Bird rights will help him get a bigger pay day next year, because his other potential suitors will have to outbid a team that can go over the cap to keep him.  Furthermore, the Mavs would be able to facilitate a sign-and-trade with a team that's over the cap.  None of that is possible if he's traded this year, which would lower his earnings potential.  This is why he's given veto power, and why he would use it.

Maybe he'll wind up with the Mavs, maybe somewhere else.  But he's got a better chance to earn more as long as those Bird rights exist.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Please do this, Danny.  Please!

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 11:10:40 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

The Mavs having his Bird rights will help him get a bigger pay day next year, because his other potential suitors will have to outbid a team that can go over the cap to keep him.  Furthermore, the Mavs would be able to facilitate a sign-and-trade with a team that's over the cap.  None of that is possible if he's traded this year, which would lower his earnings potential.  This is why he's given veto power, and why he would use it.

Maybe he'll wind up with the Mavs, maybe somewhere else.  But he's got a better chance to earn more as long as those Bird rights exist.
Do you think he's a max player?

I don't.

But I agree The mavs betting they can sign or get better value with a s&t, is a roadblock.

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 11:13:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Do you think he's a max player?

I don't.

But I agree The mavs betting they can sign or get better value with a s&t, is a roadblock.

He doesn't have to be a max player for it to make sense for him to reject a deal -- just someone who'll make more than the MLE.