Author Topic: Trade exeption  (Read 4825 times)

Trade exeption
« on: October 23, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »

Offline johnk.grooms

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
If we said Hayward was out for the season, what would prevent us from using the trade exeption on Bledsoe if we chose too?

Re: Trade exeption
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:28:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The exception wouldn't be big enough to acccomodate his salary.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:15:45 PM »

Offline johnk.grooms

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Yeah but what if we also included smart and filler if neccesary. Is it a possibility

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
1. The exception isn't big enough (and the salary must fit into the exception for it to be used, it can't be combined with other exceptions or outgoing salary)

2. Bledsoe's contract extends past this summer, but the exception can only be used on an expiring contract
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:28:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
1. The exception isn't big enough (and the salary must fit into the exception for it to be used, it can't be combined with other exceptions or outgoing salary)

2. Bledsoe's contract extends past this summer, but the exception can only be used on an expiring contract

Number 1 is actually inccorrect -- Bledsoe's salary would fit in.  We can take back up to $14.96 million.  Bledsoe makes $14.5 million.

Number 2, of course, is correct, and thus Bledsoe is not acquirable via the disabled player exception.

Of course, if the Celtics were to be granted the exception, they could acquire an expiring contract of around $12 million (should one exist) and then trade that player for Bledsoe.  But I don't understand why anyone thnks we need Bledsoe on a team with Irving, Smart, and Rozier.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:41:41 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Number 1 is actually inccorrect -- Bledsoe's salary would fit in.  We can take back up to $14.96 million.  Bledsoe makes $14.5 million.

Number 2, of course, is correct, and thus Bledsoe is not acquirable via the disabled player exception.

Of course, if the Celtics were to be granted the exception, they could acquire an expiring contract of around $12 million (should one exist) and then trade that player for Bledsoe.  But I don't understand why anyone thnks we need Bledsoe on a team with Irving, Smart, and Rozier.
The cba faq states the disabled player exception is 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the non-taxpayer mid-level exception whichever is less.  Isn't the latter just over 8M? 

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:54:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

The cba faq states the disabled player exception is 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the non-taxpayer mid-level exception whichever is less.  Isn't the latter just over 8M?

Yeah.  I had a migraine when I read the rule last week and mentally said that "whichever is less" means "whichever is more", and then ran with that interpretation before reading the rule again sans migraine.  Maybe it's because I've heard "we have to do more with less" at work too many times.

TP for the correction.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Has anyone mentioned Ersan Ilyasova?

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Dare I bring up Jahlil Okafor? Teams have until 10/31 to pick up 4th year options on the 2015 rookie class. It's a definite possibility that the Sixers don't pick up his option because of his lack of fit and to clear some more cap space for the summer. If they decline his option, I believe he qualifies as a player we can obtain with the DPE (last year of his deal with no options after this year and under $8million).

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He can a) block a trade, and b) can’t be traded until January 15th even if he were to accept a trade, so he’s probably not worth talking about for a few months.

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Dare I bring up Jahlil Okafor? Teams have until 10/31 to pick up 4th year options on the 2015 rookie class. It's a definite possibility that the Sixers don't pick up his option because of his lack of fit and to clear some more cap space for the summer. If they decline his option, I believe he qualifies as a player we can obtain with the DPE (last year of his deal with no options after this year and under $8million).

I'd take him for free but we probably won't be able to resign him at the end of the season...

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He can a) block a trade, and b) can’t be traded until January 15th even if he were to accept a trade, so he’s probably not worth talking about for a few months.

Oh, good point but he would be a good fit.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown

I'd take him for free but we probably won't be able to resign him at the end of the season...

True, but I wouldn’t mind trying him out for part of the season and possibly offering him the MLE. Best to him if he gets much more than that with the market being what it is.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
Ed Davis is someone else I’d be interested in but I’m not so sure about Portland’s desire to trade him.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Is there a deadline by which the exception must be applied for, or else it is voided?  If not, wouldn't the best course to be to wait until January, see how Hayward is progressing, then declare him out?

Then use that exception to make a move at the deadline to bring on a talented vet with an expiring contract.

Why do they have to do this now.