Author Topic: Scal is a horrible announcer  (Read 6327 times)

Re: Scal is a horrible announcer
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 07:47:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Watch out, or they'll bring back Donny Marshall.

I like Scal - good sense of humor, was a Celtic, and understands the game. We could honestly do a lot worse.

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 07:49:52 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I don't always agree with what he says, but feel his analysis is generally pretty good. I like him as an announcer and sports personality. He's also great with the fans and has a great sense of humor. 

If you took a poll outside of Boston as to who was the worst announcer ever....it would likely be Johnny Most. In Boston, he was the greatest! It's a shame he's not in the NBA HOF. To me, Bill Russell and him had the greatest impact on the popularity of Celtics in New England.

So, to say Scal is a horrible announcer... wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.   ;D 

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 08:29:56 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't like Scal as an announcer very much. I prefer Max.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I could get down with a permanent television announcing booth of Grande and Scal

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 08:49:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I love Scal's announcing. It's like Jimmy Fallon mixed with Michael Rappaport.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I am a Scal fan.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I love Scal's announcing. It's like Jimmy Fallon mixed with Michael Rappaport.
I think Scal actually is Rappaport.  I love him as an announcer.

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Brian 'pick n roll' Scalabrine? He's alright, and a decent replacement for Tommy, but replacing Tommy is impossible for me. He is Celtics basketball, and while his fire has subsided over the past few years I definitely prefer home games with Tommy vs. away games with Scal.
Also if I had the option I would rather have Cornbread Maxwell as the color commentator over Scal, but I never see that happening.

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I really like Scal.  He a good ballance of fun and analysis.  Plus he calls out the Veltics when they mess up.  He's not all homer like Tommy.  I much prefer the road games.  And I really don't like Cornbread. 

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I turn the volume off when they have Scalabrine.

Good to know I'm not alone.

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 02:39:02 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Don't understand the hate for scal here.. former Celtic, very insightful and actually explains alot of the basketball plays and terminology, more in tuned with the way the game is played now a days, and has the perfect amount of homerism imo. He also has alot of inside stories from teams and players from this era, and every once in a while adds some comedic relief to the game. Love Tommy and grew up watching him and Mike announce every game, but in his advanced age he has gotten a little wild from time to time where even I'm thinking he's being a little too much of a homer. I like having the mix of scal and Tommy and it doesn't hurt having one of the best play by play guys in the biz in Gorman. Like sum1 else has said, it could be worse, we could still have Donny Marshall...
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Don't understand the hate for scal here.. former Celtic, very insightful and actually explains alot of the basketball plays and terminology, more in tuned with the way the game is played now a days, and has the perfect amount of homerism imo. He also has alot of inside stories from teams and players from this era, and every once in a while adds some comedic relief to the game. Love Tommy and grew up watching him and Mike announce every game, but in his advanced age he has gotten a little wild from time to time where even I'm thinking he's being a little too much of a homer. I like having the mix of scal and Tommy and it doesn't hurt having one of the best play by play guys in the biz in Gorman. Like sum1 else has said, it could be worse, we could still have Donny Marshall...
this --> seems a number of people have forgotten how bad we had it when Tommy wasn't doing the game and they used Donny "back in my playing days on the Cavs" Marshall.  now, THAT was an awful color commentator

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Check around the dial with NBA League Pass and you'll gain a larger appreciation for the Celtics broadcast team. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I agree the Celtics team is great.   I like them better than the ESPN team or TNT.

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Check around the dial with NBA League Pass and you'll gain a larger appreciation for the Celtics broadcast team.
No Doubt. In Atlanta we have Wilkins. So bad
I do listen to away announcer sometimes to learn new things. I really Like Hubie Brown on ESPN.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek