Author Topic: Emergency call up Jabari Bird gives Celtics spark in 76ers win  (Read 1290 times)

Emergency call up Jabari Bird gives Celtics spark in 76ers win
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4726282/emergency-call-up-jabari-bird-gives-celtics-unexpected-spark

(After Hayward injury) "I was already packed. I was ready to go to the G League,” Bird said. "We got training camp coming up and my bags were already packed, I was ready to get out of the house. Then I got the call to go to Boston and I was like, ‘OK, I’m ready too. Just get me a flight.’"

Bird took a red-eye and landed in Boston at 7:30 Wednesday morning. He suited up but did not play during the Celtics’ loss to the Milwaukee Bucks. He figured that’s how it would go again Friday night in Philadelphia but, with coach Brad Stevens searching for some sort of spark, Bird was unexpectedly called upon midway through the third quarter.

The Celtics were down eight when Brown hit the floor, and all he remembers is Stevens telling him to go chase 76ers sharpshooter JJ Redick. Bird played the next 12 minutes, 34 seconds of game action, helping Boston rally ahead and spoil Philadelphia’s home opener with a 102-92 triumph at Wells Fargo Center.

Bird finished with three points over 13:38. He missed his only shot from the field and lamented, "I was surprised I missed. I pride myself on shooting the ball, so I was a little mad.” He got fouled on a 3-point attempt a short time later and scored his first NBA points with a pair of free throws.

Re: Emergency call up Jabari Bird gives Celtics spark in 76ers win
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Hope he realizes that defense will get him on the court. Brad needed someone to knock Reddick  out of rythym on his shots during that part of the game as the Sixers were trying to put the game away. Bird did a good job on that.

His 3pt shooting and overall scoring ability is icing.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Hope he realizes that defense will get him on the court. Brad needed someone to knock Reddick  out of rythym on his shots during that part of the game as the Sixers were trying to put the game away. Bird did a good job on that.

Ironic that that was the same lesson that Redick needed to learn as a young player and is an example of a success story in that regard.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That's right.  In the post-game, Brad said he put him in for defense.  He is already building a reputation as one of the better on-man defenders on the team.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP for the OP, but might want to check on this Jabari Bird thread from after the "6ers game:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94020.msg2401564#msg2401564

Mods may want to merge threads.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
TP for the OP, but might want to check on this Jabari Bird thread from after the "6ers game:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94020.msg2401564#msg2401564

Mods may want to merge threads.

Yeah,  agreed.  Missed yours should be merged.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He seems like the 3rd most ready rookie behind only Tatum and Theis. If he continues his strong play I wouldn't be surprised if he is signed for the reminder of the season once the 45 days are used up.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He seems like the 3rd most ready rookie behind only Tatum and Theis. If he continues his strong play I wouldn't be surprised if he is signed for the reminder of the season once the 45 days are used up.

I would be very surprised if that happened. He’s useful, but it would be much better to sign him to a four-year deal in the offseason than something for a few months.  Certainly the Celtics can find someone else to be a bench wing at the minimum, especially as they already have an open roster spot.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 03:18:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Basically (as long as there is no more injuries), he makes G a position of no need.  (Irving, Brown, Smart, Rozier, Larkin, Bird)

The roster spots needs to be a SF/PF type player.   (hopefully with an outside shot)