Author Topic: Article claiming increased injuries this season are due to shortened preseason  (Read 1728 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/10/13/nba-coaches-question-if-speeding-preseason-truly-better#/

I thought this is interesting. We've already seen many injuries in the first week of the season, and Jason Kidd and several other coaches say its due to the shortened preseason and lack of preparation.

I wonder if this is also affecting the outcome of games early on with sloppy play and poor officiating. Just tonight for example GS, Cleveland, and OKC are all looking bad against poorer teams.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Watching some of these games tonight, teams really do look very poorly prepared to play so far this season. Some ugly basketball around the league tonight. NBA putting out a poor product.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The shortened pre-season could have something to do with it, but I also think that there wasn't enough time between the beginning of training camp and the start of the season. We had so many new players and so little time to prepare.

The reasoning is terrible, too, as it is 100% about having fewer back to backs so that teams won't rest their star players for marquee games. I know these guys make a lot of money because of the fans/tv, but altering the length of the season for this always seemed a little irresponsible.

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
What I found to be quite comical was that the NBA was all about starting the season earlier and eliminating as many back to backs as they could. And then they go and schedule 15 back to backs in the first 5 days of the season...
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's a ridiculous assessment, the injuries in the spotlight which give bias to the thought of how many players are injured are not due to unpreparedness.

In all, I don't buy what they're trying to sell about shortened preseason and all that. If the league was going to start sooner this year, players should've started to prepare sooner as well.

If they didn't, it's on them, not on the NBA schedule which I fully support (the shortening of preseason part).

I mean, in previous years the complaint was how many players got injured in meaningless preseason games... so... what gives?

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
It's a ridiculous assessment, the injuries in the spotlight which give bias to the thought of how many players are injured are not due to unpreparedness.

In all, I don't buy what they're trying to sell about shortened preseason and all that. If the league was going to start sooner this year, players should've started to prepare sooner as well.

If they didn't, it's on them, not on the NBA schedule which I fully support (the shortening of preseason part).

I mean, in previous years the complaint was how many players got injured in meaningless preseason games... so... what gives?

Preparing sooner would also mean less rest and relaxation, both of which are needed after long grueling seasons.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Preparing sooner would also mean less rest and relaxation, both of which are needed after long grueling seasons.

Most of the NBA players end their season on April.

We start the season in October, that's about 6 months give or take. We started the season merely 2 weeks earlier than normal.

Come on now.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
If I recall correctly, the 2012 lockout season also have some share of early season injuries.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So no data at all?  Just Jason Kidd complaining, when he said the exact opposite  thing two years ago?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:26:32 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Most players are working out hard in August and September. So why no make it more of an official training camp the start of September, and ease the players into a work out schedule. Most of our guys were here by mid Sept so it wouldn't really put anyone out.

If players are smart, they rest the month of June. Start working on their improvements the month of July and conditioning August.

With what they are trying to do during the season by giving more teams days off or practice should work out in the long run, but they should have started camps a little early.

I also don't think this had to do with Haywards injury, that was a freak thing to happen.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Injuries for athletes are only due to one thing: being and athlete.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
So no data at all?  Just Jason Kidd complaining, when he said the exact same thing two years ago?
I love how they hid that statement in the middle of the article.  No data so they can't even misuse statistics.   

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The article doesn't claim this at all. It is just two coaches complaining a week ago about having less time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
A number of NBA players have suffered injuries this preseason, though data isn’t readily available to determine if the rate is greater or less than past preseasons.

So this is an article about how Jason Kidd is a whiner.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008