Author Topic: Giannis Adetokunbo vs. Anthony Davis  (Read 2387 times)

Giannis Adetokunbo vs. Anthony Davis
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:09:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
There is wide speculation on this blog that Danny's goal is or should be getting Davis, and that ultimately Davis is the biggest prize in the NBA. I have posted that I do not see Davis as this transcendent player. He has not led his team to a deep run in the playoffs so far in his career. I also posted that the Celtics should probably be concerned about the Bucks, this was largely because of Giannis. Why the fascination with Davis and not much talk about Giannis a player that I think is much better?

So what does the blog think. You are starting a team for the future, who do you take first Giannis or Davis?

I will take Giannis. He just plays with more fire and intensity. I remember the All-Star game where all the others were horsing around and he was dunking furiously. This guy has Kobe type intensity.

Re: Giannis Adetokunbo vs. Anthony Davis
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Nah, I'd rather have Kelly Olynyk.

I'd be ok with either the Greek Freak or AD.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:46:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
What's there to talk about with him? Greek freak is not available and is never going to be available for trade. Anthony davis is more likely to be available.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:52:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We’re not getting either in all likelihood. Need to draft someone who can defend them. Particularly GF. That Nets pick might have been the guy.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Milwaukee isn't trading Giannis. Their team is on the upswing and he seems happy. They've actually made solid moves around him.

On the flipside, New Orleans very likely misses the playoffs and will have to max Demarcus next offseason even though they're already flirting with the hard cap. It's far more likely Davis sees the writing on the wall and asks out at some point.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion that Davis isn't a transcendent talent. Dudes a beast. He's improved every season. He's gotten the Pelicans to the playoffs in the West without top notch talent, consistent coaching, or sound front office decisions. You put him on a team like San Antonio, Boston, or even Milwaukee, he's making deep playoff runs every season.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Antetokounmpo.

Anteto
Kounm
Po

Never gonna happen.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
There's a scenario that plays out where Giannis gets unhappy. If everything went perfect, they would be contenders.

However...

Parker has serious injury concerns.
Middleton is good not great (more like the 4-5 best player on a great team, not the 2-3).
Maker is a decent role player, but only good not great.
Brogdon is good not great.
Henson, Monroe, and Teletovic are decent but all have drawbacks.
Snell is basically Iman Shumpert.
How high is Wilson's upside?

This is a team that is capped out, and they will likely reach their ceiling this year. They have serious shooting limitations and a stagnant offense.

Their defensive potential is elite, but I'm not sure they can consistently rely on Giannis to be elite offensively and the anchor the defensive without help.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
It seems that the blog consensus is that Giannis will not be available. I understand that, what I do not understand is the idea that Davis will be available.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It seems that the blog consensus is that Giannis will not be available. I understand that, what I do not understand is the idea that Davis will be available.
why is that hard to understand? Are the pelicans a winning team? Are they full of headcases? stars get traded and moved every year. Its called being hopeful

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Antetokounmpo.

Anteto
Kounm
Po

Never gonna happen.

Yeah, really - per forum rules, I get that we aren't supposed to point out spelling/grammatical errors, but names are entirely different. If the OP isn't going to make the correction, it would be appreciated if a mod did. That isn't even remotely close.

As for the premise of the thread, any Giannis trade is completely off the table. I agree that AD is much more obtainable than Giannis - and I am okay with that. Just got to get through this year and then re-evaluate the situation.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Antetokounmpo.

Anteto
Kounm
Po

Never gonna happen.

Yeah, really - per forum rules, I get that we aren't supposed to point out spelling/grammatical errors, but names are entirely different. If the OP isn't going to make the correction, it would be appreciated if a mod did. That isn't even remotely close.

As for the premise of the thread, any Giannis trade is completely off the table. I agree that AD is much more obtainable than Giannis - and I am okay with that. Just got to get through this year and then re-evaluate the situation.

Oh, was he correcting my spelling? I did not realize that. Giannis' last name is actually Adetokunbo or Adetokunboh...it is a Yoruba name. His parents are Yoruba. He is Yoruba by blood. When he was first discovered by scouts he went by Adetokunbo. I have not bothered to research how the name morphed into a greek version but my spelling of his Yoruba name does not need to be corrected.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Antetokounmpo.

Anteto
Kounm
Po

Never gonna happen.

Oh, was he correcting my spelling? I did not realize that. Giannis' last name is actually Adetokunbo or Adetokunboh...it is a Yoruba name. His parents are Yoruba. He is Yoruba by blood. When he was first discovered by scouts he went by Adetokunbo. I have not bothered to research how the name morphed into a greek version but my spelling of his Yoruba name does not need to be corrected.

I, the correcter, stand corrected. But why not just use the name on his jersey? That's his NBA name.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Antetokounmpo.

Anteto
Kounm
Po

Never gonna happen.

I, the correcter, stand corrected. But why not just use the name on his jersey? That's his NBA name.

lol .... the Yoruba version is easier for me to spell.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Antetokounmpo.

Anteto
Kounm
Po

Never gonna happen.

lol .... the Yoruba version is easier for me to spell.

I guess I stand corrected, too, but Antetokounmpo has been his name for the last 5 years in the NBA and it is the only name people know. If the real spelling of his name is what you have in the subject line, it might help to let people know that.

I think I might just have gone over the edge with all of the Gordon 'Haywood' talk from last year.  ;D

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
slight correction, his father is Yoruba, not so sure about his mother's ethnicity, but she is Nigerian too. Apparently both parents were athletes. Nice athletic genes.