Author Topic: Thoughts on Kyrie tonight???  (Read 5605 times)

Re: Thoughts on Kyrie tonight???
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 08:34:44 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Are we really going to have a new thread asking about Kyrie's performance after every single game??

When they lose and Kyrie struggles, "I'm worried about Kyrie", after a solid game in a win, "Thoughts on Kyrie?".

After Game 5 of the season, "did we just win/lose the Kyrie trade already"

:P

I was thinking the same. It's senseless.

I rarely make threads but this is such a polarizing topic on the forum because of how much we all loved IT.  I don't disagree with you guys.  Maybe I should have renamed the thread "Kyrie playing within the system" or something like that.  I felt like posting the thread because I was interested in people's reactions after an ugly win.  If Kyrie had played a great game then there wouldn't have been anything from me.

I see value in all of the little things that build team chemistry.  As I mentioned before, Kyrie is making a concerted effort at adapting his game to Brad's system.  I was interested to hear the sentiment from the rest of the board.  Judging from the responses there is a group of people that want Superstar Kyrie every night and wont have the patience to let this play out.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:40:04 AM by Green-18 »

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I have been underwhelmed with Kyrie up to this point but also would note that teams are doubling and triple teaming him, which is why it really sucks that Hayward is lost for the year.

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Are we really going to have a new thread asking about Kyrie's performance after every single game??

When they lose and Kyrie struggles, "I'm worried about Kyrie", after a solid game in a win, "Thoughts on Kyrie?".

I rarely make threads but this is such a polarizing topic on the forum because of how much we all loved IT.  I don't disagree with you guys.  Maybe I should have renamed the thread "Kyrie playing within the system" or something like that.  I felt like posting the thread because I was interested in people's reactions after an ugly win.  If Kyrie had played a great game then there wouldn't have been anything from me.

I see value in all of the little things that build team chemistry.  As I mentioned before, Kyrie is making a concerted effort at adapting his game to Brad's system.  I was interested to hear the sentiment from the rest of the board.  Judging from the responses there is a group of people that want Superstar Kyrie every night and wont have the patience to let this play out.

Oh when I said that, I didn't mean it as a personal attack against you for creating the thread or anything. Apologies if it sounded that way.

It's just, as you say, it's such a polarizing concept to talk about (the trade itself, the characters of Isaiah and Kyrie, etc. etc.), and it does get kind of annoying when you hear many posters on here change their tune after each game. ("He's a superstar!", then after a bad game, "who is this guy..." lol)

It was an ugly win, and Kyrie wasn't fantastic but he did solid, and did play a part in that 4th quarter which helped to win the game. Good steps and hopefully a start for Kyrie in this system. It will take time for him to adjust, that is true.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I have been underwhelmed with Kyrie up to this point but also would note that teams are doubling and triple teaming him, which is why it really sucks that Hayward is lost for the year.
Teams have been focusing on him a ton.

He sees multiple defenders every time down the floor. You saw in this game we had to run him off multiple handoffs and picks to get him a little bit of space.

Thats the big thing you lose with Hayward being out, but I think Brad and Kyrie will adjust.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2017, 03:40:47 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Oh when I said that, I didn't mean it as a personal attack against you for creating the thread or anything. Apologies if it sounded that way.

It's just, as you say, it's such a polarizing concept to talk about (the trade itself, the characters of Isaiah and Kyrie, etc. etc.), and it does get kind of annoying when you hear many posters on here change their tune after each game. ("He's a superstar!", then after a bad game, "who is this guy..." lol)

It was an ugly win, and Kyrie wasn't fantastic but he did solid, and did play a part in that 4th quarter which helped to win the game. Good steps and hopefully a start for Kyrie in this system. It will take time for him to adjust, that is true.

lol No worries! i=It was a fair point to raise.  If we did this after every game it would start to get annoying. 

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I was really impressed with the chemistry Irving and Hayward seemed to have developed in preseason games. Irving isn't just learning a new system, he spent over a month learning a new system that featured Gordon Hayward heavily. Removing Hayward, he's basically learning another new system from the start.

He still looks like he's feeling his way around, to me. He's fighting some of those old "attack all the time" instincts and he looks out of sorts. Either he'll figure it out or he won't (I remain optimistic) but I'm not worried about him after 3 games, given the situation.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
And until or unless some other guys can step up - on a consistent basis - and make people pay for double teaming him, this will continue.