Author Topic: Celtics need to go to Tatum more late in games  (Read 6861 times)

Re: Celtics need to go to Tatum more late in games
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No, teams do not need to go to a 19 yr old rookie more late in games. Rookies never get handed that role. If they are good enough or confident enough they seize that role, rather than wait for it to be handed to them.  See Kobe Bryant as an example of a rookie that took on the leadership mantle
Kobe Bryant averaged 7 points in his rookie season. Dude was clearly not a leader when he was a rookie. MJ is a much better example and imo the best is Wilt. Also up till now Tatum is in line with Bird's rookie season, so anything is possible (ofc the bit worse but stats are similar).
Yeah, Kobe coming straight out of high-school is hardly a good example of a rookie immediately stepping into a leadership role in the big league.
Tim Duncan immediately came in and took over the Spurs, averaging nearly 40mpg.

And no, Jayson is not really close to Bird's 21/10/4.5 rookie season at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

True, but we have a lot of empty barrels here that make a lot of noise about nonsense like that.

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
We don't know who to go to late in games yet. It is way to early for this team. It is going to take time for them to figure it out. I like what I have seen from Tatum so far, he can get his shot and has had some nice drives to the basket. Also, as far as Kyrie, give it time! I think they were planning on running a lot of plays through GH at end of games, even Brad has to figure it out now.
They will get there, this team had to learn each others game before GH went down, now they have to learn about each other even more. It has only been 3 games, what is the hurry?  I don't know if this season is even about winning the east, I think this would be a great season if they can develop the young guys and figure themselves out as a team.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:32:43 AM by lbgreen33 »

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How many players around Tatum size can execute this jumper at 10 sec? Smooth

This is KDesque

https://youtu.be/6l3hXbI1J-Y

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
No, teams do not need to go to a 19 yr old rookie more late in games. Rookies never get handed that role. If they are good enough or confident enough they seize that role, rather than wait for it to be handed to them.  See Kobe Bryant as an example of a rookie that took on the leadership mantle
Kobe Bryant averaged 7 points in his rookie season. Dude was clearly not a leader when he was a rookie. MJ is a much better example and imo the best is Wilt. Also up till now Tatum is in line with Bird's rookie season, so anything is possible (ofc the bit worse but stats are similar).
Yeah, Kobe coming straight out of high-school is hardly a good example of a rookie immediately stepping into a leadership role in the big league.

Oh yeah that debut comparison got into my head lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 10:18:28 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Oh yeah that debut comparison got into my head lol.
Kobe certainly was not great as a rookie.  An 18 year old one at that.  But he had more balls than the rest of that playoff team.  I’m sure everyone remembers the two air balls be shot in the playoffs.  He wasn’t afraid.  He took those shots when the majority of other rookies would have run away from the moment.  By his second year (I believe) he was an all star.

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Tatum is way too hesitant right now. Of course I know why - he is a 19 year old rookie, three games into his career on an upper-conference playoff team, but he needs to be told to take the jumper when it's open. There are too many other sub-par shooters who have no problem letting it fly.

So far, so good on Tatum. I think we dodged a major bullet with Fultz. Not that Fultz won't be a player in this league, but gaining that extra pick really helps take the sting out losing the BKN to pick to CLE - especially knowing we likely got the better player.

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we dodged a major bullet with Fultz.

Agree.   But I think Fultz is injured right now too.   I am not a supporter of him either.  I think he is a dud.  Both Simmons and Fultz are great at producing empty stats and not winning.  Embid is a talent but he also is a knucklehead.  After seeing this game I don't think Philly is as dangerous as some thought.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:19:31 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Agree.   But I think Fultz is injured right now too.   I am not a supporter of him either.  I think he is a dud.  Both Simmons and Fultz are great at producing empty stats and not winning.  Embid is a talent but he also is a knucklehead.  After seeing this game I don't think Philly is as dangerous as some thought.

I don't like the way Fultz runs. It's too herky-jerky. I worry it puts a lot of stress on his joints. It's not as bad as Derrick Rose, but I still wonder if he will be injury prone. At worse, I think he is Tyreke Evans, which is a still a very talented offensive threat. He will likely be better long-term though.

Embiid is a knucklehead. I'm upset he didn't get t'd up last night on Baynes' tip-in at the end of the 3rd. It looks like he intentionally swung his elbow at Baynes after the play was over. I hope the NBA reviews that. He probably had his worst game his 4 year, 33 game career against us last night. We had him out of sync. I expect him to go at us next time we face him.

Simmons looks stiff, which may affect his finishing long-term. His talent is there though. He went for 11-5-11 against us last night. He played decent defense on Horford all night. I like him, but I don't think he is a transcendent talent. He's a future all-star though.

Saric looked awful last night. He could probably be a rotation guy on a good team, but I'm not buying that his ceiling is high. Is McConnel an NBA player? What about Anderson? Luwawu had a few plays last night, but how good can he be? I'm not a fan of Covington's game. He is limited and has definitely learned bad habits through the tanking years on offense.

From a business perspective, the Sixers organization has to be thrilled. At the beginning of the telecast, they were saying that 3 years ago, they only sold 3,000 season tickets. This year, there is a waiting list. The energy in their building was palpable last night. There is an excitement in the organization. They sold hope, and Philly fans are buying it. They are in a much better situation than they were.

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I don't like the way Fultz runs. It's too herky-jerky. I worry it puts a lot of stress on his joints. It's not as bad as Derrick Rose, but I still wonder if he will be injury prone. At worse, I think he is Tyreke Evans, which is a still a very talented offensive threat. He will likely be better long-term though.

Embiid is a knucklehead. I'm upset he didn't get t'd up last night on Baynes' tip-in at the end of the 3rd. It looks like he intentionally swung his elbow at Baynes after the play was over. I hope the NBA reviews that. He probably had his worst game his 4 year, 33 game career against us last night. We had him out of sync. I expect him to go at us next time we face him.

Simmons looks stiff, which may affect his finishing long-term. His talent is there though. He went for 11-5-11 against us last night. He played decent defense on Horford all night. I like him, but I don't think he is a transcendent talent. He's a future all-star though.

Saric looked awful last night. He could probably be a rotation guy on a good team, but I'm not buying that his ceiling is high. Is McConnel an NBA player? What about Anderson? Luwawu had a few plays last night, but how good can he be? I'm not a fan of Covington's game. He is limited and has definitely learned bad habits through the tanking years on offense.

From a business perspective, the Sixers organization has to be thrilled. At the beginning of the telecast, they were saying that 3 years ago, they only sold 3,000 season tickets. This year, there is a waiting list. The energy in their building was palpable last night. There is an excitement in the organization. They sold hope, and Philly fans are buying it. They are in a much better situation than they were.
They are a disaster waiting to happen
Embiid has Boogie mentality and will most likely went down in the season, Their PG Simmons can't shoot and can't finish, their SG(which should really be the PG) Fultz can't shoot and defend, Saric is a good player and that's it, they are actually carried by Reddick and Bylass now, those plus their Coach isn't good enough to utilize their talent like Stevens(only few can though)

They will be having a very ugly season and the high expectations will turn back to hunt them

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

That's not true, Tatum being the focal point and has plays run for him is very capable of putting up that number, or even better

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
How about work the ball to the open man?
The point is to work the plays to get those guys(Tatum, KI, Smart and TRo) open because they are cluth
He is saying MORE not ALL, and he definetly not talking only about ISOs

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Not really saying Kobe was great in his rookie season, but saying that he showed the fearlessness to keep shooting even when he was not putting up numbers. You could see that he had confidence in spades and the resilience to be the man.

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I would like them to get it to him more no matter the situation. I need Al to take more shots consistently too.

Seems Brown has the Kobe mentality you are talking about, we have one, let Tatum grow into being more assertive. Let the young guy have a chance to find himself.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2017, 10:52:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
More and more the ball is going into Tatums hand in crucial situations

Best player of the 2017 draft. Book it. Danny is a thief  ;D