Author Topic: Detailed breakdown of Semi Ojeleye  (Read 4086 times)

Re: Detailed breakdown of Semi Ojeleye
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I thought Bird last night showed some great defensive awareness for a rookie.

Agreed. I thought his energy in the 3q was what changed the complexion of the game. He brought a lot of fight last night. He reminds me of a Tony Delk type guard.

Tatum, especially for a rookie, has really impressed me on that end as well. Yesterday he had 3 blocks, should've been 4 if not for a bad call when he cleanly blocked Fultz, and continues to rebound and show a good understanding of overall team defense.

I like the Delk comp for Bird.

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
http://thesportsdaily.com/reds-army/shaky-semih-the-perils-of-a-rookies-baptism-by-fire/

This is by John Karalis of the Locked on C's podcast (good listen btw). This is exactly the reason that I'm opposed to having so many inexperience players, especially those with low ceilings, on a team that's goal is to win now. These constant mental breakdowns, thus giving up seemingly inconsequential baskets or not knowing where to be on offense, is usually the difference between winning and losing. It's why I prefer to sign Matt Barnes with the vacant roster spot, a player who not a star by any means, but will provide gritty play and know where to be on both ends of the court.

Also take note that these breakdowns all occurred in the 4Q of a close game.

In this play, Ojeleye and Rozier both make mistakes. Semi, though, lacked a general awareness of his teammates on defense.Dellavedova gets past Rozier and Semi comes over to help. Bayes, though, was in position to slow Delly down, so all Semi needed to do was hedge over to take away the mid-range jumper while still protecting the lanes. Instead, he kept sliding all the way down, forcing Rozier to overreact in helping with Semi’s man. Giannis and Delly recognize this, Giannis cuts, draws everyone’s attention, and dumps it off for a dunk.

Mr. Karalis' analysis (!) is flawed on its face. His claim that Baynes (or "Bayes", whatever) "was in position to slow Delly down" is ludicrous, since he's protecting the rim and would have to leave both his man and the paint open from the top. In any case, if Baynes has got it covered, it's his job to say so, since he's behind Semi. Instead Ojeleye paces Dellavedova down to the low block and keeps him from turning the corner, doing a nifty job of protecting the paint. Bad things happen when bigs have to leave their man, and Semi kept that from happening.

Rozier gets beat badly; his job is to switch, cutting off the paint. Instead he chases Delly from behind, leaving Freak wide open for the pass and penetration.  When he finally does rotate, he overcommits once again, letting Giannis dribble around him.  You can see at the end of the clip that Terry knows how badly he screwed up - he looks up at the ceiling.

Your adding the spurious "constant mental breakdowns" doesn't square with Brad Stevens' post-game praise in particular for Semi's defense.

What's the point in helping out Rozier on Delly that far away from the hoop? He needs to realize that Delly is not a scoring threat

Well, Dellavedova scored 15 points in this game, including two hoops in the paint and five free throws. In this clip he's got Rozier beaten so badly that if Ojeleye doesn't pick him up Baynes will have to, leaving Henson, who's rolling to the hoop. The risk is as much the lob to Henson as for MD to score himself (something Karalis does not take account of - he says that Semi just needs to hedge and Baynes can pick up Dellavedova).

Semi contains the penetration and allows Baynes to make contact with his man, preventing the lob. He's up in Delly enough that he makes him turn away from the rim.

I would not be surprised if someone could find clips that illustrate defensive breakdowns for the rookie Semi - but this is not one of them.  Here he does exactly what he's supposed to do and shows that remarkable combination of instinct, reflexes, quicks, and strength that bode well for his future as a versatile and effective NBA defender.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:10:43 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
This "breakdowns" are trash
As others mentioned the first play Semi did nothing wrong, it's Rozier get beat and then closed too hard
Second one it's AL ball watching leads to his man's open dunk

Didn't bother read the others

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://thesportsdaily.com/reds-army/shaky-semih-the-perils-of-a-rookies-baptism-by-fire/

This is by John Karalis of the Locked on C's podcast (good listen btw). This is exactly the reason that I'm opposed to having so many inexperience players, especially those with low ceilings, on a team that's goal is to win now. These constant mental breakdowns, thus giving up seemingly inconsequential baskets or not knowing where to be on offense, is usually the difference between winning and losing. It's why I prefer to sign Matt Barnes with the vacant roster spot, a player who not a star by any means, but will provide gritty play and know where to be on both ends of the court.

In this play, Ojeleye and Rozier both make mistakes. Semi, though, lacked a general awareness of his teammates on defense.Dellavedova gets past Rozier and Semi comes over to help. Bayes, though, was in position to slow Delly down, so all Semi needed to do was hedge over to take away the mid-range jumper while still protecting the lanes. Instead, he kept sliding all the way down, forcing Rozier to overreact in helping with Semi’s man. Giannis and Delly recognize this, Giannis cuts, draws everyone’s attention, and dumps it off for a dunk.

Mr. Karalis' analysis (!) is flawed on its face. His claim that Baynes (or "Bayes", whatever) "was in position to slow Delly down" is ludicrous, since he's protecting the rim and would have to leave both his man and the paint open from the top. In any case, if Baynes has got it covered, it's his job to say so, since he's behind Semi. Instead Ojeleye paces Dellavedova down to the low block and keeps him from turning the corner, doing a nifty job of protecting the paint. Bad things happen when bigs have to leave their man, and Semi kept that from happening.

Rozier gets beat badly; his job is to switch, cutting off the paint. Instead he chases Delly from behind, leaving Freak wide open for the pass and penetration.  When he finally does rotate, he overcommits once again, letting Giannis dribble around him.  You can see at the end of the clip that Terry knows how badly he screwed up - he looks up at the ceiling.

Your adding the spurious "constant mental breakdowns" doesn't square with Brad Stevens' post-game praise in particular for Semi's defense.

What's the point in helping out Rozier on Delly that far away from the hoop? He needs to realize that Delly is not a scoring threat

Well, Dellavedova scored 15 points in this game, including two hoops in the paint and five free throws. In this clip he's got Rozier beaten so badly that if Ojeleye doesn't pick him up Baynes will have to, leaving Henson, who's rolling to the hoop. The risk is as much the lob to Henson as for MD to score himself (something Karalis does not take account of - he says that Semi just needs to hedge and Baynes can pick up Dellavedova).

Semi contains the penetration and allows Baynes to make contact with his man, preventing the lob. He's up in Delly enough that he makes him turn away from the rim.

I would not be surprised if someone could find clips that illustrate defensive breakdowns for the rookie Semi - but this is not one of them.  Here he does exactly what he's supposed to do and shows that remarkable combination of instinct, reflexes, quicks, and strength that bode well for his future as a versatile and effective NBA defender.

Well, ever since these plays that "prove" Semi did everything correctly he has played the same amount of minutes for the Celtics as you have.

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Well, ever since these plays that "prove" Semi did everything correctly he has played the same amount of minutes for the Celtics as you have.

It's been a while since I was even ON the bench!

It's going to be really interesting to see how the Celtics' rotation gets sorted out this season, and how the young players, in particular, fit in. Though he looks pathetic in this clip, I think that Terry has an expanded role to play this year.

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 05:17:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rather unfair to start dissecting mistakes of 2nd round rookies right now. This team is young, inexperienced and unfamiliar with each other and the playbook.

Their best player and one of the few vets just went down with an injury. Their starting PF has been out all season. So Ojeleye, Nader, Larkin, Theis, and Yabusele have been thrown in, playing with the 1st and 2nd team, who they didn't get a lot if any reps with.

Mistakes are going to happen. A LOT! And the play is going to be inconsistent. After Horford, Kyrie, Smart, Baynes and Morris on this team we basically have a young low lottery team. Gonna just have to have patience.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It's been a while since I was even ON the bench!

It's going to be really interesting to see how the Celtics' rotation gets sorted out this season, and how the young players, in particular, fit in. Though he looks pathetic in this clip, I think that Terry has an expanded role to play this year.

I agree on Rozier. Even when he does make mistakes he's so athletic and plays with such a motor that he's able to compensate for questionable decisions.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I agree on Rozier. Even when he does make mistakes he's so athletic and plays with such a motor that he's able to compensate for questionable decisions.

You mean like how he got burned by Giannis on that play that was somehow deemed Ojeleye's fault, or how he consistently loses his man when "defending" off the ball, or how he never even tries to fight over the top of a pick and always opts to trail the ball handler, which is fine if you can get back into the play to deflect the, well, ball away from your assignment and get a layup out of the deal, which, given Rozier's physical tools should definitely be possible, and yet it rarely, if ever, happens, and this is before we even get into his "playmaking" ability ::).

I'll admit, he's looked great, for the most part, thus far and the game does seem to be slowing down for the guy, but he still plays like a chicken with its head cut off far too often, imo.

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The reprint of this article is Eddie House's newest vendetta against Semmi as he features himself as some sort self appointed critic, a board vigilante that claims accolades for"Calling Me Out". He was some D2 hack that is just peed off at bench players that got their chance.He has attempted to chastise, intimidate and bully me from posting positives about bench players .He intruded on MY MESSAGES pulling out my past posts going back to Zellers first year even Gi Gi
-Why the attempt to pull down one of our rookies that gets praised by Brad for his defense and he can shoot
.A shortened pre season and then thrown in.These ROOKIES are playing on the big stage, for the Boston Celtics in their first few games against some strong opposition.What a daunting task
.No need to post this in an attempt to prove your point that you think" Semmi sucks, has no motor, no hustle, doesn't go after loose balls, no game hops,goes for soft layups not dunks" to quote you  from an unsolicited post on my messages which included an enviscerating  attack on Nader and blaming me for "NADER HATE"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:44:00 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
LOL a detailed breakdown of a 10th man 3 games into the season.