Author Topic: Marcus Morris? Nerlens Noel?  (Read 5056 times)

Re: Marcus Morris? Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Since Noel signed the QO, he'd have to give up his birdrights to come here. We're over the cap so we have to create cap space to resign him this offseason. It'd be INCREDIBLY hard to do that so he'd likely be a 1 season rental.

Not quite.  We'd be able to resign him for up to 120% of his 2017-18 salary, but there's no way he signs for $5 million after the contract he turned down this summer.  And I'd expect him to decline any trade to a team that isn't willing/able to sign him to a big contract long term (since he effectively has a no trade clause this season)

Edit: As mmmmm mentioned above we could also sign him with the mid-level exception, which would be about $8.5 million.  Still not a salary he would consider.

To be honest, I don't have any problem with signing Noel to a big contract and taking a gamble on him. 

He's actually playing some outstanding basketball for the Mavs so far, averaging 11.5 Points, 8.5 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 blocks (100% FG, 83% FT) over their first two games - and he's doing that in only 23.5 MPG.

And this is from a kid who is 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan yet has the speed and agility of a wing. The upside on this kid as a defender and rebounder is immense - his skill set is a perfect compliment for Al Horford right now, and would be a perfect compliment for Jayson Tatum if he moves permanently into the PF spot moving forward.

He might never be selected to an All-Star team (though it's not out of the question) but he could very easily become an elite defensive anchor (A Gobert / Chandler / Whiteside / DJ type) - and those guys have proven to be major difference makers for their teams in the past.

It doesn't matter what you, or me, or Danny, or Wyc are willing to pay him.  We do not have the ability to sign him without him either taking a massive, massive pay cut (not gonna happen) or making major roster changes (ie trading Horford or Hayward for nothing, or in a S&T).  We're over the cap and can't get his bird rights because he signed the QO
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
When is Morris going to be ready? First they said he'd miss the first 3 games and today I read this....

Marcus Morris (knee) did some on-court work on Saturday.

He is expected to be re-evaluated in a week or so.

A week or so?

Don’t know what you’re reading, but this was from the Celtics twitter feed an hour ago:

Stevens says Marcus Morris (knee) is "getting in better shape ... He'll be reevaluated hopefully this weekend." #NEBHInjuryReport

I prefer your source. I got this from Rotoworld and the source was Scott Souza on Twitter

Morris is a week or so away from returning, per Twitter.  He’s targeting the Spurs game next Monday, but is still only doing non-contact drills at this point. So we’ll see.

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:40 AM »

Offline johnk.grooms

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
What if he were to receive a call from an anonymous individual with an ear to the celtics organization that said word has it if you sign on a one year deal with us in 2018, tomorrow has it Danny would be willing to give you x y z in 2019. He also respects loyalty and the way players feel is that wouldn't trade you again in 2018 and would give a no trade clause. Could we pay what he was worth in 2019?

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 07:56:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I hoping Pistons didn't drop,a turd on us.

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 07:58:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What if he were to receive a call from an anonymous individual with an ear to the celtics organization that said word has it if you sign on a one year deal with us in 2018, tomorrow has it Danny would be willing to give you x y z in 2019. He also respects loyalty and the way players feel is that wouldn't trade you again in 2018 and would give a no trade clause. Could we pay what he was worth in 2019?

No for many reasons, first of all is who on earth would believe Danny respects loyalty?

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

No for many reasons, first of all is who on earth would believe Danny respects loyalty?

Probably the "anonymous individual".