Author Topic: Marcus Morris? Nerlens Noel?  (Read 5080 times)

Re: Marcus Morris? Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He would help our frontline but he is not a great offensive player by any stretch.   He can't spread the floor and would clog up our offense even more than Baynes does folks.

I can't wait for Morris to get back he will help us quite a bit in the absence of Hayward.

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 11:03:19 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Thanks for explaining about his Bird  Rights. I felt like we might be able to create a little more cap space and I didn't realize he wanted 17-20 million per year. I was thinking we could really sign him for around 12 per as I don't think he has established that kind of value. Not sure he is going to get 20 per but you are right in saying he would likely not be an option for us.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 11:14:19 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I'm under the impression the new starting five will be:

Irving/Rozier
Brown/Smart
Tatum/Semi
Morris/Theis
Horford/Baynes

When Morris is ready.

This is what I was wondering as one of the original points of the thread. Can Morris be versatile enough along with Tatum to start them together? I think it's an awesome lineup for this season until  Hayward  comes back next season. Then he would need to start and who goes to the bench?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm under the impression the new starting five will be:

Irving/Rozier
Brown/Smart
Tatum/Semi
Morris/Theis
Horford/Baynes

When Morris is ready.

This is what I was wondering as one of the original points of the thread. Can Morris be versatile enough along with Tatum to start them together? I think it's an awesome lineup for this season until  Hayward  comes back next season. Then he would need to start and who goes to the bench?
I too think it's a good lineup for this season, not worrying about next season yet, a lot can change by then.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 04:24:41 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
When is Morris going to be ready? First they said he'd miss the first 3 games and today I read this....

Marcus Morris (knee) did some on-court work on Saturday.

He is expected to be re-evaluated in a week or so.

A week or so?

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
When is Morris going to be ready? First they said he'd miss the first 3 games and today I read this....

A week or so?

Don’t know what you’re reading, but this was from the Celtics twitter feed an hour ago:

Stevens says Marcus Morris (knee) is "getting in better shape ... He'll be reevaluated hopefully this weekend." #NEBHInjuryReport

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

A week or so?

Don’t know what you’re reading, but this was from the Celtics twitter feed an hour ago:

Stevens says Marcus Morris (knee) is "getting in better shape ... He'll be reevaluated hopefully this weekend." #NEBHInjuryReport

I prefer your source. I got this from Rotoworld and the source was Scott Souza on Twitter

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't see how Noel helps the C's. He's be an extra body next to Baynes and Theis. If the Cs need anything, it's a wing that can help score off the bench.

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't see how Noel helps the C's. He's be an extra body next to Baynes and Theis. If the Cs need anything, it's a wing that can help score off the bench.

Noel isn’t happening, but Baynes played 14 minutes last night thanks to foul trouble and Theis, while potentially useful, can certainly be upgraded from.  There’s room for an additional big and/or a better one.

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 10:09:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Since Noel signed the QO, he'd have to give up his birdrights to come here. We're over the cap so we have to create cap space to resign him this offseason. It'd be INCREDIBLY hard to do that so he'd likely be a 1 season rental.

Not quite.  We'd be able to resign him for up to 120% of his 2017-18 salary, but there's no way he signs for $5 million after the contract he turned down this summer.  And I'd expect him to decline any trade to a team that isn't willing/able to sign him to a big contract long term (since he effectively has a no trade clause this season)

Edit: As mmmmm mentioned above we could also sign him with the mid-level exception, which would be about $8.5 million.  Still not a salary he would consider.

To be honest, I don't have any problem with signing Noel to a big contract and taking a gamble on him. 

He's actually playing some outstanding basketball for the Mavs so far, averaging 11.5 Points, 8.5 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 blocks (100% FG, 83% FT) over their first two games - and he's doing that in only 23.5 MPG.

And this is from a kid who is 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan yet has the speed and agility of a wing. The upside on this kid as a defender and rebounder is immense - his skill set is a perfect compliment for Al Horford right now, and would be a perfect compliment for Jayson Tatum if he moves permanently into the PF spot moving forward.

He might never be selected to an All-Star team (though it's not out of the question) but he could very easily become an elite defensive anchor (A Gobert / Chandler / Whiteside / DJ type) - and those guys have proven to be major difference makers for their teams in the past.

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Baynes is a very nice backup centre who cannot play  more than about 20 MPG due to chronic foul trouble (>5 fouls per 36 for his career) and Theis so far has looked like he's a 3rd string big at best.

Horford has a history of injury problems and isn't getting any younger, and Tatum is an inexperienced rookie who is arguably playing out of position. 

If we obtain a bit like Noel, then we have Brown, Tatum, Smart and Morris who can all play major minutes at that SF spot as needed...but if Tatum, Morris, Baynes or Horford miss significant time we have very little in the way of usable depth at those positions.

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 09:20:42 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I love Nerlens Noel but he doesn't fit our offense and I wouldn't trade for a player we can't resign. A sign and trade for him in the off-season is a long shot but a possibility I suppose.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Baynes is a very nice backup centre who cannot play  more than about 20 MPG due to chronic foul trouble (>5 fouls per 36 for his career) and Theis so far has looked like he's a 3rd string big at best.

Horford has a history of injury problems and isn't getting any younger, and Tatum is an inexperienced rookie who is arguably playing out of position. 

If we obtain a bit like Noel, then we have Brown, Tatum, Smart and Morris who can all play major minutes at that SF spot as needed...but if Tatum, Morris, Baynes or Horford miss significant time we have very little in the way of usable depth at those positions.

He's missed 13 games last 3 years. We counting his peck issue from 6-7 years ago which also happened during the shortened season so ATL just shut him down?

Al is probably one of the most readily available big men in the league last few years. He's had 1 issue his entire career which he had surgery to fix.
ok fine

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 09:46:19 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I love Nerlens Noel but he doesn't fit our offense and I wouldn't trade for a player we can't resign. A sign and trade for him in the off-season is a long shot but a possibility I suppose.

Might be a good basketball player but all indications are he's not the best human being. He doesn't fit the Celtics profile of good community member. It's very clear Brad wants certain kind of men playing for him.
ok fine

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He's missed 13 games last 3 years. We counting his peck issue from 6-7 years ago which also happened during the shortened season so ATL just shut him down?

Al is probably one of the most readily available big men in the league last few years. He's had 1 issue his entire career which he had surgery to fix.

Well, two. His left and right pectorals both tore during different seasons.  He's been remarkably healthy outside of those two injuries, though
I'm bitter.