Author Topic: Anyone interested in tanking this year  (Read 8393 times)

Re: Anyone interested in tanking this year
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I would trade Kyrie for a sizeable return without hesitation.  He's highly marketable, and certainly the third best player on a contender (obv 2nd when alongside the best in the world).  Brown and Tatum are really impressing - I'd like to build around them and Hayward with a young, transcendent big man.
Dont hold your breath.

With Ainge's lovefest for him, I understand there's virtually no chance of it happening.  I'm just saying I would, though I'm probably in the minority on that around here. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 01:01:45 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Mostly its a non-issue because Davis made the playoffs.

That can be amended to “Davis has never won a playoff game” and thus again an issue for him.

He’s a great talent for sure, but let’s not act like he’s carrying his (trash) team anywhere. People often compared him to KG, but KG did a lot more with a pretty similar supporting cast in Minnesota. AD is still young, but how long should we give him? He’s got a veteran leader in Rondo and a top-15 talent in Cousins.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I would trade Kyrie for a sizeable return without hesitation.  He's highly marketable, and certainly the third best player on a contender (obv 2nd when alongside the best in the world).  Brown and Tatum are really impressing - I'd like to build around them and Hayward with a young, transcendent big man.
Dont hold your breath.

I'd be fine with a tar heel fan holding their breath. Nobody likes tar heel fans, not even their own mothers.

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 01:05:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No thanks.

This team already bottomed out.  Absolutely no interest going there again.
A one year tank when your two best players are injured is no where near the same thing as bottoming out.

I have no interest in watching losing basketball.  Period.    That was my point.
if we get one more injury, you may not have a choice lol

Fantastic. Then we can be just mediocre enough to get the 9th pick in the draft and the tankers can bask in the mediocrity.
The 9th pick is better than the 13th pick though.
Thats not even tanking tho.

Thats called losing your two best players makes it really hard to win.

We dont have a bench full of veteran guys. We have Baynes and a bunch of rookie contract guys. Im not trading big Al. If our two best players get hurt, then we will certainly have to play a ton of young guys and we will certainly not be very good.
If the C's lose Irving for an extended period, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Al Horford come down with a miraculous injury.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If Irving went down with an injury ,...

Okay, if we start with that as the premise, then frankly, I'd be ballistic with hindsight on the trade because we would be screwed relative to having NOT made the KI trade.

If one is playing "What if ...?" scenarios, then "What if Kyrie never asked for a trade?"    Then we'd be sitting here with Hayward out and Thomas out and we'd be asking ourselves?  Do we tank?

The difference would be that we'd still have Zizic and the BKN18 pick.   The allure of tanking would be less.  But if you did just proceed to, "play the youngsters" for the season and maybe you don't get a top lotto pick, but even if it's just a pick somewhere in the mid-teens, combined with the LAL & BKN picks, that represents a hell of a lot of draft pick value that could be used or packaged (all or in part).

In some alternate universe, that is what is happening.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I've learned something from this thread. Some people just don't like winning.

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 01:44:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Dont hold your breath.

With Ainge's lovefest for him, I understand there's virtually no chance of it happening.  I'm just saying I would, though I'm probably in the minority on that around here.

I was going to start a thread on this, but since it has come up -

Say the Kyrie experiment proves to be a failure, would you do:

Irving, Horford, LAL/Sac pick for AD and filler (either Hill or Asik)

It is certainly a haul - especially considering what we gave up to get Irving - but with Tatum and Jaylen proving to be top level assets and Hayward likely coming back at 100%, it would be pretty exciting to add AD to that core. Smart/Rozier may not be ready for full time PG duty, but the future sure would be exciting with AD leading the charge.

For NOP, I don't see how they get a better package than that. It would also allow them to get out of one of their bad contracts. If they re-sign Cousins, they have a really solid core moving forward, in addition to the LAL/Sac pick (as well as their own).

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
some people also don't like waiting, it seems..
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If Boston loses Irving after already losing Hayward, what exactly do you think Boston is going to be winning?

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2017, 02:09:12 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Dont hold your breath.

It is certainly a haul - especially considering what we gave up to get Irving - but with Tatum and Jaylen proving to be top level assets and Hayward likely coming back at 100%, it would be pretty exciting to add AD to that core. Smart/Rozier may not be ready for full time PG duty, but the future sure would be exciting with AD leading the charge.

For NOP, I don't see how they get a better package than that. It would also allow them to get out of one of their bad contracts. If they re-sign Cousins, they have a really solid core moving forward, in addition to the LAL/Sac pick (as well as their own).

Why would you include Horford in that package?  He isn't needed for salary matching (because Irving's current salary already matches AD's current salary (barely within the 5M allowed difference)) and it creates a need to bring back a bunch of junk salaries which then leads to all kinds of compensatory moves to balance values.

Keep Horford out of that package and it simplifies any potential deal quite a bit.   That also allows you to keep his veteran presence and he would make a great front-court partner for Davis.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Dont hold your breath.

Honestly, I don't think I could include one of Horford or the LA/SAC pick.  I'm sure NOP would demand both, but that is quite a haul. 

It would be really exciting, though.  With how the young guys look this early, that team could develop into a perennial contender.

Part of my reasoning is also colored by my dislike of Kyrie, too.  Eventually I'll get over it (and apologize here for being so obnoxious lately), probably after his first 40 point game or two.  But ultimately, I'd probably bite on your proposed trade if Horford was not involved. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:22:24 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2017, 02:26:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the premise is we lose Irving too, we will lose more games because Larken will be playing more. But Stevens isn't going to sit Horford, Morris, Baynes, and Smart and that core with Jaylen and Jayson are going to win a bunch of games. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Stevens isn't going to coach to lose so the whole tanking discussion is irrelevant. It wouldn't happen. We would lose more games but we wouldn't tank.

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If the premise is we lose Irving too, we will lose more games because Larken will be playing more. But Stevens isn't going to sit Horford, Morris, Baynes, and Smart and that core with Jaylen and Jayson are going to win a bunch of games. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Stevens isn't going to coach to lose so the whole tanking discussion is irrelevant. It wouldn't happen. We would lose more games but we wouldn't tank.
That team isn't going to win a bunch of games.  It is quite bad on the whole, so I really don't see why the team wouldn't give more burn for Theis, Nader, Semi, and Yabu. 

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That team isn't going to win a bunch of games.  It is quite bad on the whole, so I really don't see why the team wouldn't give more burn for Theis, Nader, Semi, and Yabu.
First, I have seen people, possibly even you, argue that even without Hayward, this team is better than last year's team. If we lose Kyrie suddenly we become a team with a horrible core that can't win games with players like Smart, Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Baynes and Morris?

Second, with Kyrie out all that will happen is Rozier's minutes will increase and we will see a bit more Larken and Nader. Not a lot more of Larken and Nader but more. Stevens isn't going to suddenly change his big man rotation because he lost a PG.

Third, Stevens isn't going to coach to lose. Its just not happening.

So we would lose more games if Kyrie gets hurt, but we won't be tanking.

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If Boston loses Irving after already losing Hayward, what exactly do you think Boston is going to be winning?

Games. I don't like tanking. Well' it would have been understandable four years ago. Not now.

I guess you are the kind of people who preferred to have tanked the year we made a final run and get into the playoffs, the first IT's season.

I'm the kind of people who think that young players learn a lot more in a winning culture than losing 60 games per season.