Author Topic: Anyone interested in tanking this year  (Read 8400 times)

Re: Anyone interested in tanking this year
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 07:44:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Oh yee of little faith.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
Our best move will be to just play brown, tatum and rozier as many minutes as possible.

If this results in a better draft position we'll take it...

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Irving goes down for multiple weeks like the premise of this thread, then I think it would depend on when he goes down and what Boston's record is like before and during the period he is out.  If he goes down soon and it is still early in the season when he comes back, then absolutely not, but if he goes down in the middle of the season and Boston is a back end of the playoff team at best and then just doesn't play well without him, then I might consider sitting him and Hayward (if he could come back) for the rest of the year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
With all the really bad teams, it would be hard to tank effectively even if we lost Irving and Horford for extended periods of time. 

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Too talented to tank. Couldn't even if we want to.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 08:34:22 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Even if Irving went down it would be really hard to tank enough to get into the top 5 of this draft, and if we can’t get into the top 5 it’s not worth it to tank IMO. 

It’s important our young guys really improve themselves this year to give another reason for Irving to stick around going into his contract year.  Not to mention to also improve their trade value.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Once Hayward went down, I was actually thinking to myself that the Celtics should tank and wanted to start a topic about it.. Just figured people would go ballistic on me around here.

This is my reasoning, we have no shot. People could argue we never had a shot, which I agree with, difference being finishing 1-2 in the east and losing in the ECF (or finals) still would be a great season for us and make Boston a 'go to' destination.
Now we're looking at a 5-7 seed (IMO) and a possible first round exit. So what did we achieve? Young guys got experience yadda yadda yadda. Boston might still be a desirable destination in this scenario, but at the same token a lot of teams got stronger and we got worse, so maybe in that regard we take a step back in the free agent market. Oh wait "but Gordon is coming back next year, we'll be at the top again, players will want to come here" Who knows if he'll ever be the same player again.

Reason for tanking, we get a good draft pick, young guys are still getting a ton of minutes albeit not playoff minutes. We now have another desirable asset to move (our own pick) for a guy like AD if and when he becomes available, and if he doesn't we have another high draft pick to make up for the one we just gave to Cleveland in the Kyrie trade. If Hayward doesn't come back at full strength thats 130mil we have tied up for another 3 years. We need to go back and consider building this team through the draft. Essentially the new big three attempt is done, do you think Kyrie is going to keep his word and resign with a hobbled Hayward and a aging Horford as our core?  and now we have a Chandler Parsons situation on our hands with Hayward. 

Obviously I don't want to tank, nor do I think this team would.. but there are legitimate reasons why we should.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 09:39:31 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Absolutely not, it's detrimental to player development and free agent acqusition.

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Absolutely not, it's detrimental to player development and free agent acqusition.
It most definitely is not detrimental to player development and Boston has no cap space so is only looking at MLE or vet minimum type players anyway from the free agent side of things

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Too talented to tank. Couldn't even if we want to.
Yeah you gotta play our young guys and shutting down Marcus in a contract year isn't happening. (unless you promise to pay him)

If we get hit with two more major injuries we could miss the playoffs sure, but we wouldn't be low enough to secure a top lottery slot even then.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I guess people don't understand the coach Danny hired.   CBS is the basketball coaches basketball coach.   If Stseven ever lands in the lottery , its not because of not coaching every once of talent out of every player he has . 

Danny would totally control any tank , not CBS ,  and on top of that the owners dn't seem like the tanking types at,all.   CBS would never be part of a Brett Brown program .  Not happening .

People who,believe in tanking like Philly and expect this organization to  ,  might look for,another team to follow , this Fromt office  just has no DNA for a specific tanking program as constructed and run now. 

I joke aboit it some when we loose. But , this regime did not tank when the team truely had bad players , its the further thing from their minds . 

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 10:12:22 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No thanks.

This team already bottomed out.  Absolutely no interest going there again.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No thanks.

A one year tank when your two best players are injured is no where near the same thing as bottoming out. 

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It most definitely is not detrimental to player development and Boston has no cap space so is only looking at MLE or vet minimum type players anyway from the free agent side of things

Maybe you can point out all the teams that have been successful recently at developing players while encouraging them to lose. Also, contenders get quality free agents with exceptions and minimum contracts all the time. Get a ring, reestablish their value, end their careers on a high note etc.

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 11:00:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No thanks.

A one year tank when your two best players are injured is no where near the same thing as bottoming out.

I have no interest in watching losing basketball.  Period.    That was my point.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team