Author Topic: Anyone interested in tanking this year  (Read 8392 times)

Re: Anyone interested in tanking this year
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
No thanks.

This team already bottomed out.  Absolutely no interest going there again.
A one year tank when your two best players are injured is no where near the same thing as bottoming out.

I have no interest in watching losing basketball.  Period.    That was my point.
if we get one more injury, you may not have a choice lol

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No thanks.

A one year tank when your two best players are injured is no where near the same thing as bottoming out.

I have no interest in watching losing basketball.  Period.    That was my point.

Fantastic. Then we can be just mediocre enough to get the 9th pick in the draft and the tankers can bask in the mediocrity.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No thanks.

Fantastic. Then we can be just mediocre enough to get the 9th pick in the draft and the tankers can bask in the mediocrity.
The 9th pick is better than the 13th pick though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
First off, there's no way we could make ourselves bad enough to compete with all the terrible teams in the league this year. And secondly we need to try to be as competitive as possible to keep the Anthony Davis possibility. He's not gonna want to play for a lottery team, and he's not gonna get traded anywhere he makes clear he doesn't want to be. Thirdly, that's what we have the Lakers pick for. Lastly, I really don't want to watch a awful team this year. So no.

Honestly,  enough of the Anthony Davis talk. Respect the players on the roster. We do not need Anthony Davis to win. He has not even made the playoffs in all his years in the league.

Good point. For some reason this is a knock against Cousins, but a nonissue with Davis.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Mostly its a non-issue because Davis made the playoffs.

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
No thanks.

Really?  Didn't realize math worked that way.

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
First off, there's no way we could make ourselves bad enough to compete with all the terrible teams in the league this year. And secondly we need to try to be as competitive as possible to keep the Anthony Davis possibility. He's not gonna want to play for a lottery team, and he's not gonna get traded anywhere he makes clear he doesn't want to be. Thirdly, that's what we have the Lakers pick for. Lastly, I really don't want to watch a awful team this year. So no.

Honestly,  enough of the Anthony Davis talk. Respect the players on the roster. We do not need Anthony Davis to win. He has not even made the playoffs in all his years in the league.

Good point. For some reason this is a knock against Cousins, but a nonissue with Davis.

Well, it is still a knock on AD, but he did make the playoffs in 2014-2015.

The problem with both players is that they have both been drafted in really terrible situations, and apart of teams with dysfunctional coaching and inconsistent roster fits.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Zero interest in tanking barring additional catastrophic injuries.  Tanking would be an awful sign for Brad and our current group.  I am assuming most of us view Brad as a great coach.  Do we really set the bar so low and assume that he can't get this group to develop chemistry after a couple months together?  The youth argument is being overplayed IMO.  Kyrie, Smart, Rozier, Morris, and Horford collectively have enough experience for this team to win plenty of games during the regular season.  Jaylen is also ahead of his years.  Let's also not forget that Baynes is in his 6th season.  Issues of youth should be more of a playoff problem/excuse IMO.

Tanking the season would be symptomatic of deeper issues within the current group.  Also, imagine the pressure and criticism that Kyrie will be facing if the season is a disaster.  The Celtics are a winning program with great culture from top to bottom.  We should all wish for this to continue.

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
There are only about three players on this team who are even old enough to shave. Let's not teach them that it's okay to tank because you're not going to win the championship.

Mike

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
No thanks.

Isn't a team with horford, smart, Morris, brown, Tatum still better than the Nets without Lin? The Suns that lost their home opener by 40? Whatever the knicks and bulls are putting out there? It seems like there sure is a chance they could miss the playoffs without Hayward and Irving, but highest pick they could maybe get would be 8, 10? What would the point of that be?

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2017, 12:12:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
No thanks.

Isn't a team with horford, smart, Morris, brown, Tatum still better than the Nets without Lin? The Suns that lost their home opener by 40? Whatever the knicks and bulls are putting out there? It seems like there sure is a chance they could miss the playoffs without Hayward and Irving, but highest pick they could maybe get would be 8, 10? What would the point of that be?

Don't you know the 9th pick is better than the 13th pick?

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No thanks.

I know Don's was being funny, but 8 is better than 13, both in trade value or as a potential player.  If the team loses Irving after already having lost Hayward, what is the point in winning a few extra basically meaningless games?  Wouldn't the team also be better served giving guys like Theis, Nader, Semi, and Yabu a lot more experience and playing time making them better players down the line (or figuring out who is worth saving and who is not). 

The premise of the thread is if Irving goes down what do you do?  As I said, it would depend on when Irving went down, how long he was down for, and what the team's record was before and while out, on what I'd do, but I can certainly see the potential merit in tanking depending on the answers to those questions.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I would trade Kyrie for a sizeable return without hesitation.  He's highly marketable, and certainly the third best player on a contender (obv 2nd when alongside the best in the world).  Brown and Tatum are really impressing - I'd like to build around them and Hayward with a young, transcendent big man. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I would trade Kyrie for a sizeable return without hesitation.  He's highly marketable, and certainly the third best player on a contender (obv 2nd when alongside the best in the world).  Brown and Tatum are really impressing - I'd like to build around them and Hayward with a young, transcendent big man.
Dont hold your breath.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
No thanks.

Thats not even tanking tho.

Thats called losing your two best players makes it really hard to win.

We dont have a bench full of veteran guys. We have Baynes and a bunch of rookie contract guys. Im not trading big Al. If our two best players get hurt, then we will certainly have to play a ton of young guys and we will certainly not be very good.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.