Poll

Who has a better chance of being a #1 scorer?

Jaylen
10 (20.4%)
Tatum
39 (79.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who has better potential as a go to scorer, Jaylen or Tatum?  (Read 4501 times)

Re: Who has better potential as a go to scorer, Jaylen or Tatum?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 04:46:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
I needed an option that they would be 1a and 1b scoring around the same amount and being the top scoring duo!

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Tatum clearly has a more polished offensive game right now, and a much more diversified offensive game. He can hit hard shots and make it look silky smooth. So I went Tatum. That being said it Jaylen has already showed a lot of skill driving and finishing at the hoop along with a decent ability to finish through contact and get a foul. If he can just do that and combine it with a league average or better three point shot he'll be a very goo scorer. The three most efficient shots on the court are at the rim, at the foul line, and from 3 (if you can hit it). He has the potential to have all three in his back pocket. But he doesn't have Tatum's ability to manufacture a shot out of thin air.

TP for the bolded point and it's why I went with Jaylen.

I think both of them will have very good NBA careers and Tatum seems to be a better all-around offensive player, but Jaylen's aggressiveness is going to make him a solid 20 PPG scorer, maybe even this year. He also has a slick turn-around baseline jumper that is impossible to stop.

Our future is really bright.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Tatum clearly has a more polished offensive game right now, and a much more diversified offensive game. He can hit hard shots and make it look silky smooth. So I went Tatum. That being said it Jaylen has already showed a lot of skill driving and finishing at the hoop along with a decent ability to finish through contact and get a foul. If he can just do that and combine it with a league average or better three point shot he'll be a very goo scorer. The three most efficient shots on the court are at the rim, at the foul line, and from 3 (if you can hit it). He has the potential to have all three in his back pocket. But he doesn't have Tatum's ability to manufacture a shot out of thin air.

I think both of them will have very good NBA careers and Tatum seems to be a better all-around offensive player, but Jaylen's aggressiveness is going to make him a solid 20 PPG scorer, maybe even this year. He also has a slick turn-around baseline jumper that is impossible to stop.

Fair enough, but just recognize that your assessment seems to be a snapshot-in-time.  The question is about potential, and I think the polling shows the correct answer.  Jaylen is not efficient enough on his jumper and has even missed some free throws.  Teams are eventually going to back off him to guard against the drive, but then foul him hard in hopes he misses some free throws.  Now I recognize that so far JB has higher FG% and FT% than JT but I predict that by the end of the season, Jayson will be the more efficient scorer.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2018.html

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 05:31:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Smart needs to go to the bench when Morris comes back. I think that would help with spacing a lot , and open up things for both Jaylen and Tatum.
I think there is a lack of secondary ball-handling / playmaking in that lineup with Hayward gone. I don't think they (Jaylen SG, Tatum SF, Morris PF) will be a good combination full time as a starting lineup. It will hurt our ball movement & passing. Horford will do a lot to help in the high post but I'd rather have a 2nd ball-handler on the wing out there with them.

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Tatum wins this argument if we are talking about go to scoring within the flow of a game.  His game is silky smooth for a 19 year old.  However, my gut still tells me that Jaylen will become the go to scorer when we face adversity in big games.  Jaylen wont settle for anything other than greatness.  There will eventually be a time that he can get to the line whenever we need a bucket, especially in transition.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548

Fair enough, but just recognize that your assessment seems to be a snapshot-in-time.  The question is about potential, and I think the polling shows the correct answer.  Jaylen is not efficient enough on his jumper and has even missed some free throws.  Teams are eventually going to back off him to guard against the drive, but then foul him hard in hopes he misses some free throws.  Now I recognize that so far JB has higher FG% and FT% than JT but I predict that by the end of the season, Jayson will be the more efficient scorer.

I know the question is about potential, that's why I referenced Jaylens potential to eventually be good at all three highlighted areas. His three point shot has already improved, he shot 37% after the all star break last year and like 44% from the corners. Time will tell whether that's ultimately indicative of an improved shot, or just a small sample. If he hits his 3 defenders wont be able to back off him and he will take advantage by blowing by them. His free throw percentage does need to improve, but its not like he's Andre Drummond esque from the line.

All that being said I did still pick Tatum. He already has such advanced skills. He has the added bonus of basically being able to create a decent (tho usually difficult) shot whenever he wants, something Brown doesn't have yet and something many players never develop. I do worry that Tatum doesn't have a really explosive first step, he's more smooth than explosive, but I think his body control and length will still allow him to finish in the paint, especially against PF's.

In short, I like both, the fact we have two guys with the potential to be excellent scorers is encouraging.

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think both do - with Jaylen getting the edge due to his time in the league so far.

I'm more hopeful that one of them SOON start to emulate Gordon Hayward's court savvy, leadership, passing and all-around skill set, though.

Kyrie is being hyped as the face of this franchise (and this is GREAT, to me), but whichever one of these guys can emulate Hayward's TOTAL game THIS will help the team more than scoring.

HUGE shoes to fill but not impossible.

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I know the question is about potential, that's why I referenced Jaylens potential to eventually be good at all three highlighted areas. His three point shot has already improved, he shot 37% after the all star break last year and like 44% from the corners. Time will tell whether that's ultimately indicative of an improved shot, or just a small sample. If he hits his 3 defenders wont be able to back off him and he will take advantage by blowing by them. His free throw percentage does need to improve, but its not like he's Andre Drummond esque from the line.

All that being said I did still pick Tatum. He already has such advanced skills. He has the added bonus of basically being able to create a decent (tho usually difficult) shot whenever he wants, something Brown doesn't have yet and something many players never develop. I do worry that Tatum doesn't have a really explosive first step, he's more smooth than explosive, but I think his body control and length will still allow him to finish in the paint, especially against PF's.

In short, I like both, the fact we have two guys with the potential to be excellent scorers is encouraging.
A lot like Paul Pierce.  ;)

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 06:48:44 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
5 years down the line, Brown will be an elite transition scorer being almost unstoppable on the fast break much like guys like LeBron and Giannis are now.

Tatum in that same time span will be the one getting the tough shots in a grind it out half court offense.

Agreed.  And that sounds like a pretty ideal duo to have on your team!
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Smart needs to go to the bench when Morris comes back. I think that would help with spacing a lot , and open up things for both Jaylen and Tatum.
I think there is a lack of secondary ball-handling / playmaking in that lineup with Hayward gone. I don't think they (Jaylen SG, Tatum SF, Morris PF) will be a good combination full time as a starting lineup. It will hurt our ball movement & passing. Horford will do a lot to help in the high post but I'd rather have a 2nd ball-handler on the wing out there with them.
I think they will be fine and too good to put on the bench if they keep doing what they are doing.  We aren’t winning a title this year so letting those two bloom as much as possible is a huge priority.  We will definitely miss Hayward’s secondary playmaking but it wouldn’t be as huge of a deal if our starting point guard wasn’t kind of a secondary playmaker himself.

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wish there was an option for both. Jaylen and Jayson score in different ways and both have strengths and weaknesses. But if you had prime Jimmy Butler on your team and prime Paul Pierce, who is your primary scorer? They score in very different ways but both can be 25+ PPG players. I think in 3 years this team could have 4 primary scorers in Kyrie, Gordon, Brown and Tatum. That's gotta be a scary thought to the rest of the NBA.

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 09:13:51 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'll go with Tatum due to his smooth mechanics. Jaylen will be the better all-around player due to his freak athleticism.

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Game is starting to slow down for Jaylon .  once his athleticism meets with a nice steady array of knockdown jump shots the kid may go Kobe on some teams .   The gap between these sklls should improve with Gordon out.   His confidence grows by the game.

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think they will be fine and too good to put on the bench if they keep doing what they are doing.  We aren’t winning a title this year so letting those two bloom as much as possible is a huge priority.  We will definitely miss Hayward’s secondary playmaking but it wouldn’t be as huge of a deal if our starting point guard wasn’t kind of a secondary playmaker himself.

Yeah, I think you keep Tatum and Jaylen in there as starters (if they continue to play as well as they have started) and instead bring Morris off the bench in order to get that extra guard / ball-handler on the floor.

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
tatum potentially has the whole package

jaylen has been awesome to watch but i think will be limited to dunks/drives and 3's overall, not really creating his own shot down the stretch like a go to scorer would.

It’s tatum.  Jaylen is great in the open court and a free flowing game but doesn’t have the offensive game to be successful in half court when the defense is geared to stop you.

That's my assessment, as well.  TP for both of you :).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:29:00 PM by Beat LA »