Author Topic: Revised Predictions for Early Season Record  (Read 2191 times)

Re: Revised Predictions for Early Season Record
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 11:55:54 AM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Not inly do I feel bad for Hayward but also feel bad for the families who bought season tickets.

From a STH point of view, I appreciate the sympathy. Don't worry too much about us, though. We're long-term and there are a lot of seasons ahead of us, more good than bad.

I'm not worried about the team long-term but, from what I saw on Wednesday, there are some cohesion issues (not to mention the team's inability to make free throws or finish at the rim). The season is going to start off disappointing, like last year did.

The plus side is that these guys are playing with heart. Jayson Tatum didn't get a lot of attention on Wednesday, but I thought he looked like a veteran out there. The young team may be inexperienced but they want to win.

I'm at 10-13 for the first 23 games, with a final record of 44-38. I know that would require outperformance against the West, but I'm good with that.

Mike

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
31 according to my cavs coworkers in Ohio. They guarantee Kyrie will be injured and they also said he cannot csrry a team and had a horrible win loss without Lebron playing.

This is actually a really important point I hadn't considered until you mentioned it.

Here are Kyrie's games played so far in this career:

2012 - 51
2013 - 59
2014 - 71
2015 - 75
2016 - 53
2017 - 72

Looks like it's about a 50/50 shot that Kyrie plays 70+ games instead of missing 20-30 games.

If Kyrie misses 20-30 games, on top of Hayward being out, the Celts are going to be in trouble trying to make the playoffs.

Luckily Al Horford is a relatively healthy guy.  He missed 14 games last year, but apart from his pectoral injury that wiped out most of a season, he's been pretty durable throughout his career.

Even assuming a relatively healthy season from Kyrie, it looks like we should expect him to miss about 8-10 games.  The Celts will have to rely on Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum to lead the team in scoring in those games, with no traditional point guard to set them up.

It's going to be tough.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
31 according to my cavs coworkers in Ohio. They guarantee Kyrie will be injured and they also said he cannot csrry a team and had a horrible win loss without Lebron playing.

This is actually a really important point I hadn't considered until you mentioned it.

2012 - 51
2013 - 59
2014 - 71
2015 - 75
2016 - 53
2017 - 72

Looks like it's about a 50/50 shot that Kyrie plays 70+ games instead of missing 20-30 games.

If Kyrie misses 20-30 games, on top of Hayward being out, the Celts are going to be in trouble trying to make the playoffs.

Luckily Al Horford is a relatively healthy guy.  He missed 14 games last year, but apart from his pectoral injury that wiped out most of a season, he's been pretty durable throughout his career.

Even assuming a relatively healthy season from Kyrie, it looks like we should expect him to miss about 8-10 games.  The Celts will have to rely on Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum to lead the team in scoring in those games, with no traditional point guard to set them up.

It's going to be tough.

Kyrie's a vegan now. Ought to help with his injury recovery.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

2012 - 51
2013 - 59
2014 - 71
2015 - 75
2016 - 53
2017 - 72

It's going to be tough.

Kyrie's a vegan now. Ought to help with his injury recovery.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

2012 - 51
2013 - 59
2014 - 71
2015 - 75
2016 - 53
2017 - 72

It's going to be tough.
Hes had serious injury issues early in his career, dating all the way back to Duke, but hes only had one notable injury in the last 4 years(although it was very serious).
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 09:54:51 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Call me a homer but I think we can still win 50 games.
Getting that first win under our belt really helps relive pressure.
Tatum and Jaylen Brown have been given the opportunity to grow under stress with bigger roles.

Irving will have to pick up the slack as well as the other Celtics.
Rozier has really blossomed well under pressure.

Hopefully we will be stronger than ever when/if Gordon makes a return in last quarter of the season.

The East is still weak.  So we've got a chance.  Offense needs to gel though.  Kyrie needs to learn celtics system but he has chance to flourish.  If IT can score 29 ppg in this system, Kyrie can as well, once he learns it.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
It'll take a bit more time than originally thought (though some people may have been a bit too optimistic in predicting how great we would be coming out of the gate). But there have been enough signs in spurts even in the 3 games played that when they figure out Brad's system (remember only 4 players on this team have played in that system) they won't let us down in terms of entertainment.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
45-50 wins. The goal now is to make the playoffs.