Author Topic: The most inconsequential full season injury  (Read 1683 times)

The most inconsequential full season injury
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:37:05 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It is hard to say something like this when it happens to „us“, but I think this is the least significant full-season injury, that an All-star level player suffered,  I have ever seen in the NBA. It has a lesser impact than Embiid, Tim Hardaway, Amare or anyone else who had a season-long injury, that I can recall.
Even with GH available this year, we were one of the teams in the East trying to challenge a favored Cleveland team in the ECF (trying to come closer than what happened in the last year's ass whooping). Championship no. 18 this year, was not realistic in any script.
Offcourse, GH has to come back 100% healthy for this to be true. Current reports say he should be back in full health after the rehabilitation.
Are we worried that we might win 46 instead of 53 games? I don't love it, but it's not a big deal. Instead of being 2nd in the East we end up 6th? Ok, move on. Or that we might win one/none playoff series instead of one/two? I wouldn't be happy, but it doesn't move the needle longterm. The goal is still to win the 18th championship and to contend for years. DA knows it, that's why he blew the whole thing this summer. Wyc knows it, that's why he OKd it. We as fans are aware of this and despite GH going down, nothing drastically changed.
Short term some, longterm - nothing.
- Still developing chemistry, one player more or less
- Still teaching 19/20-year-old kids
- Still updating Kyries software
- Still waiting for GSW to empty the clip
- Still waiting for AD to become available
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:34:32 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: The most inconsequential full season injury
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:45:15 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
TP

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It's a bummer that it really hurts our chances of knocking off LeBron this year, but that time will come.

All I really care about is Gordon coming back stronger
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:11:40 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Maybe it's a little selfish of me, but I for one would be sick of seeing a Cavs-Warriors Finals for the fourth year in a row. I felt the Celtics stood a real chance to enter the NBA finals this year. Now I question whether they can even make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.... we'll have to wait and see.

I think you're downplaying how drastic of a change this is.  The Gordon Hayward injury changed the whole complexion of the season. Before, the Celtics had the anticipation of a superteam.  High hopes were turned upside down because of it. The injury happened so gruesomely and just minutes into the season. Losing your second best player in that fashion, would be like having Pierce or Ray Allen go down in 08', before they had a chance to truly play with Garnett.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Maybe it's a little selfish of me, but I for one would be sick of seeing a Cavs-Warriors Finals for the fourth year in a row. I felt the Celtics stood a real chance to enter the NBA finals this year. Now I question whether they can even make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.... we'll have to wait and see.

I think you're downplaying how drastic of a change this is.  The Gordon Hayward injury changed the whole complexion of the season. Before, the Celtics had the anticipation of a superteam.  High hopes were turned upside down because of it. The injury happened so gruesomely and just minutes into the season. Losing your second best player in that fashion would be like having Pierce or Ray Allen go down in 08'before they had a chance to truly play with Garnett.
Not downplaying, it is a we-never-had-him-to-miss-him thing, so emotionally I don't miss him, and hopefully, we will have him in the years to come.
I didn't anticipate us being a mega team (like the 2008 team) with almost 2 rooks in the starting five and a dozen of new players throughout the roster. Wyc didn't too, I heard his sentiments in an interview some 3 days ago. I thought we were a low 50s team before GH.

It's a bummer that it really hurts our chances of knocking off LeBron this year, but that time will come.

All I really care about is Gordon coming back stronger

Me too. Some benefit also might be in those additional minutes for our young wings.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:23:35 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I think you're downplaying how drastic of a change this is.  The Gordon Hayward injury changed the whole complexion of the season. Before, the Celtics had the anticipation of a superteam.  High hopes were turned upside down because of it. The injury happened so gruesomely and just minutes into the season. Losing your second best player in that fashion, would be like having Pierce or Ray Allen go down in 08', before they had a chance to truly play with Garnett.
This is how I feel. I thought the Celtics had a good chance to make the Finals this year and now we're staring at Cleveland/Golden State part 4 in the Finals with the Celtics not really in the conversation.

There were certainly consequences to this injury.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Why do people assume that Irving is going to re-sign with us after next season?  I thought it was 50/50 when the trade occurred.  The Hayward injury doesn't help.  We needed Irving and Hayward to develop into the core of a contender, albeit an underdog, this year.  We're not a playoff lock anymore this season.  We can't afford any more significant injuries.  Next season anything could happen as Hayward's injury shows. 

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think we had a very real chance of making the finals...not now though

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I strongly disagree. Although there are some silver linings from a player development standpoint, this tremendously impacts our team. Brad builds his offense around his players, and will need to run a completely different offense without Hayward. Thus, when Hayward is back, the offense will shift again. Having this year for everybody to get into a rhythm would have been huge for next year. Instead, we'll be running different sets with different roles for our young players.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Why do people assume that Irving is going to re-sign with us after next season?  I thought it was 50/50 when the trade occurred.  The Hayward injury doesn't help.  We needed Irving and Hayward to develop into the core of a contender, albeit an underdog, this year.  We're not a playoff lock anymore this season.  We can't afford any more significant injuries.  Next season anything could happen as Hayward's injury shows.
Nothing is for certain but if we want to plan for the future, you have to make a certain number of assumptions (like, relative health).

2 years from now, maybe Kyrie will want to go elsewhere. 2 years from now, maybe Boston will want him to go elsewhere (I doubt it, I'm still very high on Kyrie).

But when that time comes, Jaylen, Jayson, and Smart will likely be in their primes or closer to them, Hayward will be 29 years old, and we'll know the result of the Lakers/Kings pick. I doubt there will be many teams out there, with max cap room, who will be able to present a better opportunity than the C's.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think we had a very real chance of making the finals...not now though

Me too. It's a shame no one gets to find out if their optimism/pessimism was well-founded or not.

But I am glad Jaylen+Jayson are going to get a LOT of reps out there now. That's going to really help us next year.  And, while I hate to say it, having fewer good wings to draw attention and get him open shots + lanes is probably going to shave some $ off Smart's next contract.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:53 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Speaking of full season injuries, Jeremy Lin is officially out for the year with a ruptured tendon  :(  That won't be consequential for Brooklyn but could be for our mental health.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

This is how I feel. I thought the Celtics had a good chance to make the Finals this year and now we're staring at Cleveland/Golden State part 4 in the Finals with the Celtics not really in the conversation.

There were certainly consequences to this injury.

Well said, CP777. I'm with you and Big—Hayward's absence is a MAJOR blow to this team and its goals for this season.

I think there are quite a few CBers who, in the name of optimism, are treating the Hayward situation like we only lost a deep-bench guy; I even read one comment that basically said Hayward “wasn't going to move the needle that much this year anyway.” Like, really?!? An all-star, go-to scorer and all-around really good player goes down, and the team is gonna be fine?

But I guess I'm just being too negative, because from what I hear around these parts, Tatum and Brown are gonna be all-stars this year, and Smart and Rozier are the next great backcourt.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis