Author Topic: I'm worried about Kyrie  (Read 11588 times)

Re: I'm worried about Kyrie
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not worried about anything.  If you're hitting the panic button after two games, go get yourself some heart medication or something. 

You lose a back to back road/home against two top 4-5 teams in the East and you lose your 2nd best player to a horrifying injury in the first quarter of the first game of the season. 

Things are going to lighten up. It's October 19th.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It's going to be very difficult for us to remain objective about Kyrie in regards to the IT comparison.  It's only natural to think of IT when we struggle to win a tight game in the 4th quarter.  The fact of the matter is that IT is much more relentless and willing to take punishment than Kyrie.  His body is/was also built to handle more of a beating.  IT's game is probably more effective than Kyrie's on a team that lacks a legitimate secondary scoring option.  Kyrie will never be able to get to the line like IT when all of the attention is focused on stopping him.  IT can carry a team without scoring help much further than Kyrie. 

However, it's very important for all of us to consider what this team is building towards.  If the goal is to eventually beat Golden State then we are going to need an offense full of players that can score, pass, and move without the ball.  IT can obviously do all of these things but Irving has a higher ceiling in this type of offense.  The true upside with Irving wont be realized until all of the pieces fall into place.  Kyrie's efficiency will increase dramatically once this offense is firing on all cylinders.  His elite skills are ideal for a Golden State style offense.   

A perfect example to illustrate this is team passes per game statistics.  The Warriors were last in the league in passes per game during Mark Jackson's last season with the team.  Steph Curry put up amazing numbers but his game truly exploded once Kerr came into place.  We all know how amazing 2015-16 was for Curry but his ascension started during the 2nd half of their first title team.  Steph shot 50% from three after the All-Star break and the Warriors were far and away the leaders in passes per game.

I am NOT saying that Kyrie will ever match Curry but I am positive that Brad Stevens is envisioning a similar scenario for Irving.  I am going to miss IT's passion and grit as much as anyone, especially because there are no guarantees that Steven's vision comes to fruition.  That being said, let's all try to be patient and see how everything comes together.   

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2017, 10:49:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So the team losses a 2nd (or 1st) biggest piece of their offense and are playing the next night filling in alot of those key minutes with 1st and 2nd years players, and we are expecting Kyrie to just cover the loss up?   

Let's get realistic expectations.   All the new players are learning a new playbook and the young players are also still learning the NBA.   
I'm mostly encouraged by Tatum and Brown's play so far.

Given Smart and Rozier are both PGs offensively it makes sense we're going long stretches of Kyrie off the ball, and he doesn't seem as comfortable with how that's playing out right now.

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah, tough to really panic given that they have had zero practices after a MASSIVE change to their lineup and gameplan.

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Sorry wrong thread yall.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDI7xv5ckc8

Reasons why Kyrie shot 7-25:

1) Hayward's injury

2) The actual game last night

3) First back to back, so he was tired

4) Milwaukee didn't have a game last night.

None of those things are incorrect, but an actual leader isn't out there making excuses for why he couldn't hit a shot when it mattered in a close game. I am worried about Kyrie, long term. I'm worried he doesn't know how to lead.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm not worried about anything.  If you're hitting the panic button after two games, go get yourself some heart medication or something. 

You lose a back to back road/home against two top 4-5 teams in the East and you lose your 2nd best player to a horrifying injury in the first quarter of the first game of the season. 

TP.  It's just difficult to post much on CB the way the season has started.  However, I remain hopeful for the this season.  I just have a different set of expectations now.

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Irving's leadership and PG development were cut short by Lebron coming to Cleveland. He played second or third fiddle to one of the greatest basketball players in the history of the game all in his developmental years. It had to have an effect on him as a leader.

Also, give Kyrie a little time to adjust to playing next to two starting players that are 19 and 20 years old that were thrust into the starting line-up due to the injuries of Hayward, and Morris. Spacing was terrible last night due to this.

The acquisition of Kyrie is a long-term move, he's 25, healthy, very talented, and still growing as a leader. 

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Why do we have threads like this after two games..

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
  IT's game is probably more effective than Kyrie's on a team that lacks a legitimate secondary scoring option.  Kyrie will never be able to get to the line like IT when all of the attention is focused on stopping him.  IT can carry a team without scoring help much further than Kyrie.

Thank you for pointing this out, because it's the biggest difference I noticed in the raw stats between IT and Kyrie. 

Getting to the free throw line 8-10 times a game was the biggest part of how Isaiah went from a 20-24 ppg type guy to a 30 ppg guy.

It's really hard to be a 28-30 ppg lead scoring option if you only get to the line 3-4 times a game; doesn't matter how efficient you are.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
  IT's game is probably more effective than Kyrie's on a team that lacks a legitimate secondary scoring option.  Kyrie will never be able to get to the line like IT when all of the attention is focused on stopping him.  IT can carry a team without scoring help much further than Kyrie.

Thank you for pointing this out, because it's the biggest difference I noticed in the raw stats between IT and Kyrie. 

Getting to the free throw line 8-10 times a game was the biggest part of how Isaiah went from a 20-24 ppg type guy to a 30 ppg guy.

It's really hard to be a 28-30 ppg lead scoring option if you only get to the line 3-4 times a game; doesn't matter how efficient you are.

He averaged nearly 26 points a game last year. Once he adjusts Kyrie should get closer to those numbers.

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

This is my natural state of being at all times.

More so after what happened to Hayward and watching the Cubs bullpen the past week.

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Exactly right.  It's important to acknowledge that their games are extremely different.  Kyrie has the potential to reach higher level IMO but it wont happen until the entire offensive system is functioning.  Nothing about this is black and white but we will still compare Kyrie to IT throughout this first season.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:39:03 PM by Green-18 »

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

This is my natural state of being at all times.

More so after what happened to Hayward and watching the Cubs bullpen the past week.

I can't blame you there one bit.  Can only imagine the PTSD from the next Carl Edwards Jr. appearance.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDI7xv5ckc8

Reasons why Kyrie shot 7-25:

1) Hayward's injury

2) The actual game last night

3) First back to back, so he was tired

4) Milwaukee didn't have a game last night.

None of those things are incorrect, but an actual leader isn't out there making excuses for why he couldn't hit a shot when it mattered in a close game. I am worried about Kyrie, long term. I'm worried he doesn't know how to lead.

Such crap. I happen to have seen every interview after games over the last few seasons, with the way you see it we have never had a leader, especially if people considered IT4 or Jae one.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)