Author Topic: I'm worried about Kyrie  (Read 11604 times)

Re: I'm worried about Kyrie
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He's a relatively small point guard that : a) plays below the rim, b) relies heavily on his speed/quickness, c) and even more so on making difficult 3s.  That's combination is going to lead to a lot of variance in his performance, especially before he's fully integrated.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
im a bit scared too. he threw up some shots that were questionable at best. seemed odd.  7 for 25 is a pretty bad home opener.  i was missing IT.

IT had those days as well, its just that since he played so many games with us you remember most games he played well rather than little he played bad. Plus he had AB to fall back on.

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 11:08:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
One final thing I will say is that, although I was actually low on Morris coming into the year, he actually could play a big role on the team now and help so much.  He's a guy who can get his own midrange shot and hopefully space to 3, and that would be a huge help.

Could really use morris right about now

He is a great midrange shooter but if he can hit the three he can get a huge opportunity when he's back.  I'm hopeful that he takes it on.

The biggest impact he's going to make will be on the defensive end. I think he'll be our best wing defender now with Gordon out.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I counted there was two exact same turnovers by Kyrie today, an overpass to Horford that led to a steal because it was too high, it's gonna take some time for this team to really gel

Brad has a lot of work to do to get this team running

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 11:19:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
One final thing I will say is that, although I was actually low on Morris coming into the year, he actually could play a big role on the team now and help so much.  He's a guy who can get his own midrange shot and hopefully space to 3, and that would be a huge help.

He is a great midrange shooter but if he can hit the three he can get a huge opportunity when he's back.  I'm hopeful that he takes it on.

The biggest impact he's going to make will be on the defensive end. I think he'll be our best wing defender now with Gordon out.
He is a career 36% shooter from 3.

All of our wings right now are kids.

Brown and Tatum start and Semi and Nader back them up. Way too much youth at a crucial spot. Morris will need to be a steadying hand for the kids. Would have loved his 6'8" frame and 5 years of NBA experience to throw at James and Giannis.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 11:23:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
She'll be fine.

Serious question: If you swapped out Kyrie, how many players are there in the league that could have won a championship with CLE in 2016? 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:51:52 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 11:44:21 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

He is a career 36% shooter from 3.

All of our wings right now are kids.

Brown and Tatum start and Semi and Nader back them up. Way too much youth at a crucial spot. Morris will need to be a steadying hand for the kids. Would have loved his 6'8" frame and 5 years of NBA experience to throw at James and Giannis.

He can certainly make an impact on D but we can base some of the offense around his scoring ability.  I don't mean to overhype him but we really can use that kind of veteran consitent scoring.  We can't let a team double and even triple Kyrie and not make them pay with a jump shot.

My worry with him all along has been that his rebounding and interior D does not make him some stellar fit at 4 like people had been penciling him in, but he can score on the wing and defend on the wing.  I think Brown and Tatum have shown some ability to play at the 4 (sadly I think Hayward would have as well) and there's enough to make it by in that area.  We just really could use consistent offense.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:28 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
From Jay King's article on the game:

"We messed up on a lot of plays," said Terry Rozier, who notched 15 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two steals in the defeat. "That can't happen. Like (Stevens) said after the game: We're professionals, so we better learn the plays or we won't play."

"We just got a lot of guys that can play multiple positions, so when we call out the plays, some guys just run to the spots that they can play, and it just kind of messes us up," Rozier said. "But like I said, we just gotta get it right. We're professionals, we gotta just play off one another."

Asked how to address the issue, Kyrie Irving said simply, "Learn the plays."

"Just understand the perception that we need in our preparation comes way before the games," Irving continued. "Like I said, it's going to come in waves and you see out there, we got Nader out there now, we got Shane (Larkin) out there, and to be honest with you, we haven't even, in the first group, practiced with those guys. Now they're out there playing big-time minutes and we need to utilize them and they gotta be in spots and know their spots 1 through 5. The reliance comes on the vets on this team and it trickles all the way down to the 15th guy. We gotta ... remain confident, unwavering in our approach, and we'll be fine."

The bolded sure sounds like there were a lot of mistakes.  And Kyrie suggests them not playing as well.  I saw a lot of comments from Jaylen as well about needing to help Kyrie out.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:06:06 AM by Snakehead »

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 12:08:42 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
No worries, it's just Brad testing rotations and regroup the team without Hayward

Today you can see very apparent Rozier is alot better than Irving and Brad just want him to play through it and try to adjust

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 12:15:52 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Today you can see very apparent Rozier is alot better than Irving and Brad just want him to play through it and try to adjust

When everyone got together on this team, they knew they'd had to sacrifice.  It just turns out it's to Terry.

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 12:32:37 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

When everyone got together on this team, they knew they'd had to sacrifice.  It just turns out it's to Terry.
Sorry by him i mean Irving, this is a game for him to test and warm up to new lineup

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 12:36:59 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Imagine what Celtics Blog will be like if this team is sitting at 1-6 by end of this month?  Very realistic possibility given the schedule.

Kyrie struggled tonight but the Celtics lost because of some key defensive breakdowns by their young guys.  Expect a lot more of that and a lot of inconsistent shooting because we don't shoot it all that well collectively.

Hayward's loss is going to hurt this team immensely in the short term.  However the one encouraging thing is some of the guys who figured to not get a lot of minutes have been decent so far.  And Brown has played 2 very good games. 

Fans are going to have to be patient.  This always was a two year project - even more so now with no Hayward for the foreseeable future.  His talent would cover up a lot of problems we're going to be experiencing over the next several weeks - tonight's game being just one example.

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 02:27:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Relax everyone, it's only the second game of the season and it's been a disrupted season for them at that. Too early to be slitting wrists. They'll figure it out. If a month or so in they still can't figure it out then it's time to start worrying.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 02:52:13 AM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
im a bit scared too. he threw up some shots that were questionable at best. seemed odd.  7 for 25 is a pretty bad home opener.  i was missing IT.

IT had those days as well, its just that since he played so many games with us you remember most games he played well rather than little he played bad. Plus he had AB to fall back on.
IT could usually at least get to the line a ton when his jumper wasn't falling. Kyrie brings nothing to this team when he's having a cold shooting night.

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2017, 02:55:16 AM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
She'll be fine.

Serious question: If you swapped out Kyrie, how many players are there in the league that could have won a championship with CLE in 2016?
Let me fire up my time machine and find out. Be back to you in a bit with the answer...