Author Topic: Hayward surgery went well. Recovery Timetable unknown. Best case=MARCH?  (Read 15806 times)

Re: Hayward surgery went well. Recovery Timetable unknown. Best case=MARCH?
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Watch this video.  Brad talks about getting ideas for hit keep Hayward engaged for the next “five months”.

Who knows what will happen, but I think Stevens let his own hopes escape for a second in that interview.

https://twitter.com/espnforsberg/status/921394113785851906

Saw this earlier. I thought it seemed like a Freudian slip with how they're pushing the no timeline narrative. My guess is they've been told five months as the timeline, which would put him back before the end of the season, but they're keeping that quiet for now.

That's not how I heard it. Everyone has been saying that an injury of this type has a 5 month recovery time. It doesn't mean that he's NBA ready in 5 months. Brad was just talking about keeping him engaged during the 5 month recovery time before he can start doing it on his own via lifting weights, shooting around, etc.

Anyone that has been injured knows that there is a difference between "I can walk, I can run, I can exercise." and "I can play 5 on 5 basketball." Basketball is one of the most demanding activities that you can do with respect to your legs. That's why they say that you don't get in shape by playing basketball. You get in shape THEN play basketball.

I mostly agree, but from what I've heard, the "walking, running, exercise" aspect could start at 3-4 months out.  Which means the live basketball drills could start in 5 months.

I heard it as Hayward might be able to get on a court in 5 months, not get into games.  But if he can get onto the court in March, then it's not unreasonable to think he couldn't get into games in April, even if it's just 10-15 minutes off the bench.  I'd rather have an 80% version of Hayward getting the minutes currently going to Ojeleye in April than Semi getting them himself.

Also, I don't necessarily think it's likely that Hayward comes back.  And I'm sure the Celtics will be very careful about announcing an aggressive timetable, when even missing a single recovery milestone might push a return date past the end of the regular season, and thus past a time the Celtics are willing to put Hayward back into games.  But at the same time, I do think they are legitimately hopeful that he will be able to put on a uniform again this season.  If they weren't, I think you'd see them much more quickly looking to get the Disabled Player Exception, since it's 3 games in and their depth is already being significantly tested.

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »

Online sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Watch this video.  Brad talks about getting ideas for hit keep Hayward engaged for the next “five months”.

Who knows what will happen, but I think Stevens let his own hopes escape for a second in that interview.

Saw this earlier. I thought it seemed like a Freudian slip with how they're pushing the no timeline narrative. My guess is they've been told five months as the timeline, which would put him back before the end of the season, but they're keeping that quiet for now.

That's not how I heard it. Everyone has been saying that an injury of this type has a 5 month recovery time. It doesn't mean that he's NBA ready in 5 months. Brad was just talking about keeping him engaged during the 5 month recovery time before he can start doing it on his own via lifting weights, shooting around, etc.

Anyone that has been injured knows that there is a difference between "I can walk, I can run, I can exercise." and "I can play 5 on 5 basketball." Basketball is one of the most demanding activities that you can do with respect to your legs. That's why they say that you don't get in shape by playing basketball. You get in shape THEN play basketball.

This. I broke my fibula a couple of years ago. I had to wear a cast for 8 weeks and couldn´t put any weight on my ankle for 4 weeks. After that I was allowed to put some weight on it. I was so excited to get the cast finally off after 2 months and I was expeting to be able to go jogging after like a week or so.

When the cast finally came off, I was shocked. I couldn´t move my ankle at all, it had exactly the same movement I had with the cast. Zero muscle. Stiff as a rock.

It took me over 6 months to walk normal.

How long did it take you to feel  confident that you could do everything normal like run or jump? Better yet do you feel confident that you can do everything?

Like 18 months, but all I had for physiotherapy was some advice from the nurse when he took my cast off.

I´m sure Gordon is in better hands  :D

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65

This. I broke my fibula a couple of years ago. I had to wear a cast for 8 weeks and couldn´t put any weight on my ankle for 4 weeks. After that I was allowed to put some weight on it. I was so excited to get the cast finally off after 2 months and I was expeting to be able to go jogging after like a week or so.

When the cast finally came off, I was shocked. I couldn´t move my ankle at all, it had exactly the same movement I had with the cast. Zero muscle. Stiff as a rock.

It took me over 6 months to walk normal.

How long did it take you to feel  confident that you could do everything normal like run or jump? Better yet do you feel confident that you can do everything?

Like 18 months, but all I had for physiotherapy was some advice from the nurse when he took my cast off.

I´m sure Gordon is in better hands  :D
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it took a long time to feel normal. With all the great medical technology, it should be interesting see how fast GH comes back.

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I had a very similar thing happen to me that had happened to Gordon in adult league. I went for an alley oop dunk and landed off balance onto a straight leg. In my circumstance it was hyperextension with somehow only a minor acl sprain although it swelled to double size. First month was crutches. After that I wore a brace because my knee fibers were so stretched that it was basically jello. It took 5 months for me to continue my work out routine. I started playing easy pickup games at my LA fitness a month ago making it 7 months total. Its a long road and worst thing is to rush it.

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I had a very similar thing happen to me that had happened to Gordon in adult league. I went for an alley oop dunk and landed off balance onto a straight leg. In my circumstance it was hyperextension with somehow only a minor acl sprain although it swelled to double size. First month was crutches. After that I wore a brace because my knee fibers were so stretched that it was basically jello. It took 5 months for me to continue my work out routine. I started playing easy pickup games at my LA fitness a month ago making it 7 months total. Its a long road and worst thing is to rush it.

Have you alley ooped again?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Regaining confidence that you're not going to get injured again is rough. I keep having flashbacks. To your question I'm taking it easy.

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2017, 05:16:21 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

I took this to mean that Hayward would finally be out of the cast and able to shoot/lightly exercise while standing (instead of shooting from a chair) in five months. I highly doubt he'll even be putting weight on it until 4 months out, so playing NBA games in 5 months seems like a massive stretch. With that said, I will be thrilled if I'm wrong and he comes back in March/April. I want it to be true, but it just seems unrealistic in my (non-educated) opinion.

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I broke my tibia and fibula in a skiing accident when I was 15.  Basically my skis got stuck on a mogul, I kept going forward, and my boot was frozen to my ski.  So I broke it right above the ankle where the boot meets the shin.

When I got the cast off six weeks later my leg looked like a toothpick.  My calf muscle had atrophied tremendously and my ankle was so stiff that I couldn't even really move it on my own.  I had to use my hands to move my foot or get it going with some really ginger baby steps.

I tried playing a little half court basketball with friends around the three month mark, but I never drove to the hoop or played anything closely resembling good defense where I went side to side.

Of course I didn't have a boot that could be taken off occasionally to give my ankle some movement like Hayward probably will after a few weeks.  And I didn't get any electro-muscle stimulation.

I'd say the biggest thing to get over was the fear.  You're basically without the use of your most important limb (insert jokes here).  I felt totally helpless in any situation, whether it be something like "my house is on fire, I have to run out of here" to "there's a guy with a gun, I can't run away."  You live in this weird mentality of feeling literally broken.  It's like a trust you have had in your self, your ability to just take a step, is not only gone, but if you tried to do it your leg would snap in two again.  It's a weird mojo on your mind.

I broke my leg on March 15th and it was June 15th before I was goofing around playing 21 with my friends.  I'd say by August my leg was back to 90% and I could run and jump, but I was nervous as hell for the entire next year whenever I did. 

And it took several more years before I went skiing again.  I probably went skiing about 4-5 more times in my entire life and stopped in my early twenties.  I've just decided I don't want to do it any more because I get too much anxiety on the slopes. 

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
No nickname, I pretty much agree with everything you say. The fear is the biggest part to get over. Noone wants to be putting themselves in positions that make themselves feel worse. If Hayward can straighten that out he'll be fine in the long run.

We as fans shouldn't expect him to be back this year. If he does return early it'll be similar to PG13 returning and being rather mediocre. It's just the kind of injury that requires time and we should give it to him. He is here for the long run, this injury is obviously an inconvenient setback but we will get pat it and we have to believe we will achieve more after it

« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2017, 12:02:53 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
No nickname, I pretty much agree with everything you say. The fear is the biggest part to get over. Noone wants to be putting themselves in positions that make themselves feel worse. If Hayward can straighten that out he'll be fine in the long run.

We as fans shouldn't expect him to be back this year. If he does return early it'll be similar to PG13 returning and being rather mediocre. It's just the kind of injury that requires time and we should give it to him. He is here for the long run, this injury is obviously an inconvenient setback but we will get pat it and we have to believe we will achieve more after it

I will say that once I got over the fear, I was totally over it. I never thought about it again. I played some pretty competitive ball and I didn't have any setbacks or fears.

But it did take lots of little athletic achievements before I got there mentally. 

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2017, 06:29:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I broke my leg on March 15th and it was June 15th before I was goofing around playing 21 with my friends.  I'd say by August my leg was back to 90% and I could run and jump, but I was nervous as hell for the entire next year whenever I did. 

I think it is a safe thing to conclude that Gordon is in better shape than most on this board and probably has better trainers and doctors.   But yeah the mental part of an injury is always harder than the physical to heal.

Just remember these guys are mentally tougher than most as they made it to the pros.

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2017, 07:36:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens said first thing Gordon Hayward asked team for after surgery was a basketball he could handle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/scott_souza/status/922516302136147968

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he can shoot from a wheel chair  :D

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2017, 11:13:59 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Anyone worried at all that he may never quite be the same after his injury? The ankle is just such a complex part of the body and its so crucial to a basketball player's success.

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2017, 12:47:39 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Anyone worried at all that he may never quite be the same after his injury? The ankle is just such a complex part of the body and its so crucial to a basketball player's success.

I see this as a concern after any major injury, especially any injury to a basketball player's legs. My understanding is that there was no ligament/tendon/muscle damage to Hayward, but still, an injury is an injury.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis