Author Topic: Hayward surgery went well. Recovery Timetable unknown. Best case=MARCH?  (Read 15803 times)

Re: Hayward surgery went well. Recovery Timetable unknown. Best case=MARCH?
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
https://mobile.twitter.com/Trags/status/921116739831779328

League source: No joint damage is key reason those close to Gordon Hayward feel optimistic for full (relatively fast) recovery

What is meant by no joint damage?

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but isn't the ankle a joint? And it's damaged?

Does it mean the dislocation of the ankle was relatively minor, separate and apart from the broken tibia?

Most likely it's no ligament or tendon damage. They're probably stretched to hell, but not torn.

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
While I do not think he will be back this season, I disagree with everyone who says that if he CAN return that he SHOULD NOT return.

If he is 100% physically healthy and can play his normal game, he should absolutely play this season.

Exactly. Play it like 2010. Hold the #4 seed and start winning games on the road in the playoffs with everyone healthy. The Celtics can challenge and beat the Cavaliers in Quicken Loans Arena. They were 3 points shy of winning that game without Morris and Hayward.

Let’s not get carried away. LeBron is rusty, Isaiah didn’t play, and they are trying to get a lot of new players on the same page like us.

This injury pretty much sealed this season. It is what it is. I hoe he can come back this year, but we have him for two-three more years after this one, let’s not cry over spilt milk. It sucks to see our season pretty much end within 6 minutes of its start, but that appears to be what happened. We still have the Lakers to hope lose every game.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2017, 11:14:35 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
While I do not think he will be back this season, I disagree with everyone who says that if he CAN return that he SHOULD NOT return.

If he is 100% physically healthy and can play his normal game, he should absolutely play this season.

Exactly. Play it like 2010. Hold the #4 seed and start winning games on the road in the playoffs with everyone healthy. The Celtics can challenge and beat the Cavaliers in Quicken Loans Arena. They were 3 points shy of winning that game without Morris and Hayward.

Let’s not get carried away. LeBron is rusty, Isaiah didn’t play, and they are trying to get a lot of new players on the same page like us.

This injury pretty much sealed this season. It is what it is. I hoe he can come back this year, but we have him for two-three more years after this one, let’s not cry over spilt milk. It sucks to see our season pretty much end within 6 minutes of its start, but that appears to be what happened. We still have the Lakers to hope lose every game.

After 2 games?

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2017, 11:16:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

After 2 games?

After half a quarter.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2017, 01:50:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
https://imgur.com/a/1kozQ

Robyn says the Surgery went we

In my view, Robyn was the best acquisition of the offseason.  100% serious.

Lol, TP :laugh:.

I see no way Danny and the FO put him on the court till next season.  He just avoided a career ending injury .

Im just counting it good he can spend this summer getting up to,speed and go into training camp 100 ready to go for next year.

He is not the type to sit still .

haha TP.

What if my wife leaves me for the milkman?
What if the Jets win the AFC East?
What if Wyc sells the team to Seattle?
What if Gordon Hayward never plays a game for the Celtics?

You have a milkman? 

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Season's gonna be long, too long to watch.

Now that a championship is unlikely 40-1 odds I recommend that you sit back, grab a beer, and enjoy your team's ups and downs without worrying about the score. You'll enjoy the games better. For example, we played like crap last night and I had a blast watching Jaylen Brown's drives, etc.

I guess this is a key difference between the two main groups of Cs fans: some can enjoy the games even when the overall circumstances may be bad, and some can't. I'm among the latter, and I think that's what's giving me trouble in relation to the Hayward injury: I'm not a fan because I like seeing young guys develop, regardless of how the team does; I'm competitive, I want my teams to win, and this team is now in line for a good bit less winning this season. We were primed to start being a real pain in Cleveland's backside, but now we'll likely be little more than a mildly annoying speedbump on their way to another Finals appearance.

If you mean that your team has to win for you to enjoy the games, that's called a fair weather fan. It used to be a serious insult, but in the LeBron James / Warriors era of "who are you rooting for this year?" I suppose it's acceptable? I've watched every Celtics game that I've been able to since the early 90s. It doesn't matter if it's LeBron or Michael beating them up, it's still fun to watch.

I'm sure I'll inevitably be flamed because the post is inherently alienating a group of people here, but just my 2 cents.

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Now that a championship is unlikely 40-1 odds I recommend that you sit back, grab a beer, and enjoy your team's ups and downs without worrying about the score. You'll enjoy the games better. For example, we played like crap last night and I had a blast watching Jaylen Brown's drives, etc.

I guess this is a key difference between the two main groups of Cs fans: some can enjoy the games even when the overall circumstances may be bad, and some can't. I'm among the latter, and I think that's what's giving me trouble in relation to the Hayward injury: I'm not a fan because I like seeing young guys develop, regardless of how the team does; I'm competitive, I want my teams to win, and this team is now in line for a good bit less winning this season. We were primed to start being a real pain in Cleveland's backside, but now we'll likely be little more than a mildly annoying speedbump on their way to another Finals appearance.

If you mean that your team has to win for you to enjoy the games, that's called a fair weather fan. It used to be a serious insult, but in the LeBron James / Warriors era of "who are you rooting for this year?" I suppose it's acceptable? I've watched every Celtics game that I've been able to since the early 90s. It doesn't matter if it's LeBron or Michael beating them up, it's still fun to watch.

I'm sure I'll inevitably be flamed because the post is inherently alienating a group of people here, but just my 2 cents.
I think everybody is "fair weather" to varying degrees.  I still follow every C's game, but they certainly are MORE enjoyable when they have a serious chance of winning the Eastern conference vs. playing for the 4th seed.

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason

I think everybody is "fair weather" to varying degrees.  I still follow every C's game, but they certainly are MORE enjoyable when they have a serious chance of winning the Eastern conference vs. playing for the 4th seed.

I'm guessing that a large group of Celtics fans will cease to watch the rest of the games this season. I'd consider those people fair weather fans. I don't consider you a fair weather fan at all. You just prefer the team to win... so do I. That's an obvious and natural fan trait.

Note that fair weather and bandwagon fans are different. A fair weather fan will cease to watch the games and replace the time spent with another hobby. A bandwagon fan will pretend/become a Warriors fan.

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Watch this video.  Brad talks about getting ideas for hit keep Hayward engaged for the next “five months”.

Who knows what will happen, but I think Stevens let his own hopes escape for a second in that interview.

https://twitter.com/espnforsberg/status/921394113785851906

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Watch this video.  Brad talks about getting ideas for hit keep Hayward engaged for the next “five months”.

Who knows what will happen, but I think Stevens let his own hopes escape for a second in that interview.

Saw this earlier. I thought it seemed like a Freudian slip with how they're pushing the no timeline narrative. My guess is they've been told five months as the timeline, which would put him back before the end of the season, but they're keeping that quiet for now.

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I love this site. I do. I like to read posts and debate with legit Celtics fans about basketball related content.

The one thing that I don't really understand or love is to read pessimistic fair weather "fans" pout when something doesn't turn out exactly as they planned.

It is not inconceivable that players will get hurt. Basketball is physical enough that people get hurt. The Celtics had an uphill battle originally, and now their challenge is even bigger. My parents would have disowned me as a child if I wanted to cry every time things didn't go my way. I hopefully will convey what I consider to be mental toughness to my kids one day.

The Celtics aren't going to quit. They are going to continue to try. I think it is time for many to question whether they are actually Celtics fans, or if they prefer offseason movements and basketball "on paper".

There's no reason why this team cannot deliver a superior product. They have multiple players that play with grit, and a strong lineage of hard-nosed basketball.

Let's go Celtics fans, we can be better!

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason

Saw this earlier. I thought it seemed like a Freudian slip with how they're pushing the no timeline narrative. My guess is they've been told five months as the timeline, which would put him back before the end of the season, but they're keeping that quiet for now.

That's not how I heard it. Everyone has been saying that an injury of this type has a 5 month recovery time. It doesn't mean that he's NBA ready in 5 months. Brad was just talking about keeping him engaged during the 5 month recovery time before he can start doing it on his own via lifting weights, shooting around, etc.

Anyone that has been injured knows that there is a difference between "I can walk, I can run, I can exercise." and "I can play 5 on 5 basketball." Basketball is one of the most demanding activities that you can do with respect to your legs. That's why they say that you don't get in shape by playing basketball. You get in shape THEN play basketball.

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

That's not how I heard it. Everyone has been saying that an injury of this type has a 5 month recovery time. It doesn't mean that he's basketball ready in 5 months. Brad was just talking about keeping him engaged during the 5 month recovery time before he can start doing it on his own via going to the gym, shooting around, etc.

Anyone that has been injured knows that there is a difference between "I can walk, I can run, I can exercise." and "I can play 5 on 5 basketball." Basketball is one of the most demanding activities that you can do with respect to your legs. That's why they say that you don't get in shape by playing basketball. You get in shape THEN play basketball.

i know some are still shaken from the injury (actually i still am), but bballbreakdown had a pretty good interview with another sports physician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7h9CJxQ83g

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2017, 03:46:52 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

That's not how I heard it. Everyone has been saying that an injury of this type has a 5 month recovery time. It doesn't mean that he's NBA ready in 5 months. Brad was just talking about keeping him engaged during the 5 month recovery time before he can start doing it on his own via lifting weights, shooting around, etc.

This. I broke my fibula a couple of years ago. I had to wear a cast for 8 weeks and couldn´t put any weight on my ankle for 4 weeks. After that I was allowed to put some weight on it. I was so excited to get the cast finally off after 2 months and I was expeting to be able to go jogging after like a week or so.

When the cast finally came off, I was shocked. I couldn´t move my ankle at all, it had exactly the same movement I had with the cast. Zero muscle. Stiff as a rock.

It took me over 6 months to walk normal.

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65

This. I broke my fibula a couple of years ago. I had to wear a cast for 8 weeks and couldn´t put any weight on my ankle for 4 weeks. After that I was allowed to put some weight on it. I was so excited to get the cast finally off after 2 months and I was expeting to be able to go jogging after like a week or so.

When the cast finally came off, I was shocked. I couldn´t move my ankle at all, it had exactly the same movement I had with the cast. Zero muscle. Stiff as a rock.

It took me over 6 months to walk normal.

How long did it take you to feel  confident that you could do everything normal like run or jump? Better yet do you feel confident that you can do everything?