Author Topic: Every year I'm nervous to buy a new Celtics jersey  (Read 460 times)

Every year I'm nervous to buy a new Celtics jersey
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I used to have a Paul Pierce jersey, and that got stolen in college. I've wanted to replace it, but I'm nervous to buy a player jersey because:

A) I'm mildly superstitious and concerned buying a jersey could produce some kind of reverse mojo jinxing magic voo-doo. You can disregard this reason.

B) I want to buy a jersey for a player that has had / will have some degree of longevity with the Celtics. But given their turnover, I'm not sure who that could be.

C) I also prefer to buy a jersey for a player of high caliber, which narrows it down further given item B, and also is tough to predict with a young roster.

So I guess my question is, can I buy a Jaylen Brown / Jayson Tatum jersey and feel OK about it? Will doing so guarantee that either one would get traded / flame out / suck / etc.? I'm leaning Tatum, but I'm also worried that pulling the trigger would precede Ainge pulling the trigger on some major trade.  I hope not!!!
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Re: Every year I'm nervous to buy a new Celtics jersey
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If you only want a jersey of a long time C who stays for like 5 years or more then no I wouldn't buy a jersey of Tatum/Brown.

I just had a Pierce Jersey for a long time, got a Rondo one after he had the dislocated elbow because even if was traded or left in FA I loved his games as a C. Got KG jersey right after he was traded actually because I never got around to buying one for myself. All had Celtics careers I already wanted to remember by the time I bought the jersey.

Some people just want the Jersey of the guy they're excited about in the moment though and that's a great thing too, just not how I approach it.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:46:49 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I used to have a Paul Pierce jersey, and that got stolen in college. I've wanted to replace it, but I'm nervous to buy a player jersey because:

A) I'm mildly superstitious and concerned buying a jersey could produce some kind of reverse mojo jinxing magic voo-doo. You can disregard this reason.

B) I want to buy a jersey for a player that has had / will have some degree of longevity with the Celtics. But given their turnover, I'm not sure who that could be.

C) I also prefer to buy a jersey for a player of high caliber, which narrows it down further given item B, and also is tough to predict with a young roster.

So I guess my question is, can I buy a Jaylen Brown / Jayson Tatum jersey and feel OK about it? Will doing so guarantee that either one would get traded / flame out / suck / etc.? I'm leaning Tatum, but I'm also worried that pulling the trigger would precede Ainge pulling the trigger on some major trade.  I hope not!!!

Rozier is a safe bet  :laugh:

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Rozier is a safe bet  :laugh:

Ha, yeah, Mr. Untradeable.

@Fafnir, yeah, that's a good point. On the other hand, one of these rookies is going to stick around at some point, especially as high picks with high ceilings.

I'd consider Hayward, but I kind of look like him (except not 6'8" and well-muscled) so I feel like that might be weird. Then again, it could be a show of good faith and a suitable offering to the Basketball Gods to promote a speedy recovery.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The short answer is in today's NBA no player has any degree of longevity...It's simple, their all hired guns...don't by a jersey.

The long answer is Jersey's are like sports trading cards... if you had a Dennis Rodman from any team he played for it would have value and a mojo factor to it.