Author Topic: 2017-18 NBA Season  (Read 199993 times)

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season
« Reply #1665 on: March 13, 2018, 12:29:12 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It would be concerning if the Cavs fall to #7 seed, and the Celtics have to host them in round 1 lol....

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1666 on: March 13, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It would be concerning if the Cavs fall to #7 seed, and the Celtics have to host them in round 1 lol...
We were the last team that sent LeBron away from home.
I would like very much for us to repeat that feat this year.
That said, I want us to play the Cavs this year. And when you know that, any round is good.
For example, you beat him/them in the 1st round and you got a 1st class sensation, energizing the whole franchise and fanbase. Round 2 next.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1667 on: March 13, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
so, the cavs 2 game honey-moon has worn off and now they are back to being a poor team. except this time with less talent.

looking at the standings, cavs could end up anywhere from #3 - #7. they are 1 loss away from dropping to #5

It's too bad the c's are so banged up this year. This could've been our year

« Reply #1668 on: March 13, 2018, 11:58:34 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
so, the cavs 2 game honey-moon has worn off and now they are back to being a poor team. except this time with less talent.

looking at the standings, cavs could end up anywhere from #3 - #7. they are 1 loss away from dropping to #5

Actually they could fall to #8 seed. The 7 and 8 seed (Heat and Bucks) are currently tied.

« Reply #1669 on: March 13, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Actually they could fall to #8 seed. The 7 and 8 seed (Heat and Bucks) are currently tied.

It would be such a Raptors way for the Raptors to end the best season of their franchise's history if the Cavs fell to the 8th seed and then beat them in the 1st round.

You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1670 on: March 13, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It would be such a Raptors way for the Raptors to end the best season of their franchise's history if the Cavs fell to the 8th seed and then beat them in the 1st round.
It could work either way.  Let's say they LOSE to the Cavs in a 1 vs. 8 matchup, after the best season in their franchise history.  I can't see the fan base ever recovering from that.

« Reply #1671 on: March 13, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White

It could work either way.  Let's say they LOSE to the Cavs in a 1 vs. 8 matchup, after the best season in their franchise history.  I can't see the fan base ever recovering from that.

Ah, we've had only a few 1 vs 8 matchups where the 8 seed won. The most recent being the 76ers upsetting that Bulls team in that shortened, compressed season as far as I can remember.

I hope that's not LBJ's new goal, trying to sneak into the NBA Finals as a 7/8 seed because he's just bored so his team is sucking on purpose lol. That's very 2K-like. Regardless, cannot take them lightly.

« Reply #1672 on: March 13, 2018, 01:38:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I just have a hard time seeing the Cavs beat the Raptors. They are playing amazing basketball with young guy filling out their rotation that provide some needed athleticism and Demar playing MVP level basketball. I also think the Cavs will be most vulnerable in the first round because they will still be in their first weeks of trying to get Love to play with all the new guys. I am curious if Lue is going to give Lebron any games off. Lue has made bizarre comments referencing how much people played in the 80's and 90's to excuse Lebron's age and minutes. I think I have also read that Lebron wants to play all games as a point of pride and to win MVP (that ship has sailed at this point though) . Both guys being stubborn about that could also cost them in postseason.

« Reply #1673 on: March 13, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I just have a hard time seeing the Cavs beat the Raptors. They are playing amazing basketball with young guy filling out their rotation that provide some needed athleticism and Demar playing MVP level basketball. I also think the Cavs will be most vulnerable in the first round because they will still be in their first weeks of trying to get Love to play with all the new guys. I am curious if Lue is going to give Lebron any games off. Lue has made bizarre comments referencing how much people played in the 80's and 90's to excuse Lebron's age and minutes. I think I have also read that Lebron wants to play all games as a point of pride and to win MVP (that ship has sailed at this point though) . Both guys being stubborn about that could also cost them in postseason.

Well, we all know Lue wont' (can't) rest Lebron if Lebron wants to play. It's all on Lebron in the end, he makes the decisions.

« Reply #1674 on: March 13, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

That's the scenario I was suggesting.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1675 on: March 13, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't think much of this Cavs team, but the Raps are still vulnerable, in my eyes.

Deep teams that win a lot of games on the strength of youth and a strong bench tend to do worse in the playoffs.

Core stars tend to revert to their basic instincts in the playoffs when the going gets tough.

The Raptors still don't have anybody with the size and experience to hound LeBron 40+ minutes a game for seven games.  Siakam, Ibaka, Poeltl, and Anunoby might be able to collectively make him work to get interior baskets, but that would entail using a lot of low-offense lineups without Valanciunas.

By all means, I think the Raptors would be and should be favored against the Cavs, but a team of LeBron + shooters can bust this Raps squad.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1676 on: March 13, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I don't think much of this Cavs team, but the Raps are still vulnerable, in my eyes.

Deep teams that win a lot of games on the strength of youth and a strong bench tend to do worse in the playoffs.

Core stars tend to revert to their basic instincts in the playoffs when the going gets tough.

The Raptors still don't have anybody with the size and experience to hound LeBron 40+ minutes a game for seven games.  Siakam, Ibaka, Poeltl, and Anunoby might be able to collectively make him work to get interior baskets, but that would entail using a lot of low-offense lineups without Valanciunas.

By all means, I think the Raptors would be and should be favored against the Cavs, but a team of LeBron + shooters can bust this Raps squad.

I think Derozen has really made a jump by adding that three point shot which really changes their whole dynamic. He isn't just taking like 1 a game either. This really isn't the same as past raptors teams.

« Reply #1677 on: March 13, 2018, 03:43:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think Derozen has really made a jump by adding that three point shot which really changes their whole dynamic. He isn't just taking like 1 a game either. This really isn't the same as past raptors teams.

Derozan's only shooting 31% on those attempts, though (i.e. less than 1 point per shot), and that's before he encounters playoff level defense.  He only shoots 30% on corner threes.

Historically his free throw rate goes down significantly in the playoffs, as well.  He's still very reliant on free throws to make up for his overall inefficiency outside of 3 feet.

The biggest change in DeMar's game, as I see it, is his improved playmaking.  But his younger teammates need to make shots in order for that to carry over.

I would also say that if the Raps do indeed carry over their increased focus on three pointers, that will open them up to get trucked on the boards and in transition by lineups featuring Bron, Love, and Thompson/Nance, as has happened in the past. 
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1678 on: March 13, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Derozan's only shooting 31% on those attempts, though (i.e. less than 1 point per shot), and that's before he encounters playoff level defense.  He only shoots 30% on corner threes.

Historically his free throw rate goes down significantly in the playoffs, as well.  He's still very reliant on free throws to make up for his overall inefficiency outside of 3 feet.

The biggest change in DeMar's game, as I see it, is his improved playmaking.  But his younger teammates need to make shots in order for that to carry over.

I would also say that if the Raps do indeed carry over their increased focus on three pointers, that will open them up to get trucked on the boards and in transition by lineups featuring Bron, Love, and Thompson/Nance, as has happened in the past.

Do you think the Cavs will really play Thompson, Lebron and Love together much? Love has really lost some athleticism the last couple of years with his back injuries and I can't imagine his conditioning is going to be amazing coming off an extended absence. The Raptors are only going to play Jonas some minutes I would think.

« Reply #1679 on: March 13, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Do you think the Cavs will really play Thompson, Lebron and Love together much? Love has really lost some athleticism the last couple of years with his back injuries and I can't imagine his conditioning is going to be amazing coming off an extended absence. The Raptors are only going to play Jonas some minutes I would think.

Maybe Nance instead of Thompson, but yeah, I think they will.
- Mark Twain