Author Topic: 2017-18 NBA Season  (Read 200182 times)

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season
« Reply #930 on: January 15, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Toronto's getting clobbered by Philly and I am here for it. We need them to rack up those losses to stretch our margin of error for homecourt.

This may be the rare game where Philly plays a complete game and doesn't cough up a big lead.

Looks like we both might've jinxed this, Raptors climbing back in it.

Looks like they got within 1 and ran out of guess... nice win for philly.
Good week so far for Philly, from the C's perspective.  Lose to Boston, then beat one of their closest EC competitors.  Thanks!  ;D

« Reply #931 on: January 15, 2018, 04:51:05 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Great for our standings, but I have to admit, I am beginning to get a bit worried about facing the Sixers in the 1st round of the playoffs. I would hope we draw a better matchup, they are dangerous.

We won't be so fortunate that the Knicks or Hornets will jump into the 8th seed, so there's no really easy outcome here. I guess we would like to meet the Pacers, but all other teams are dangerous.

We have had a lot of trouble with the Pistons (Harris and Drummond!) the past seasons. The Bucks with a healthy Parker and Antetokounmpo on the court almost full time could give us a very hard time. The Heat are deep and doing pretty well, although we would be clear favorites against them.

Obviously don't want to see the Cavaliers or Wizards drop to face in the first round!

So apart from the Pacers or the Heat, I think there's not a better match up out there for us than the 76ers.

« Reply #932 on: January 15, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great for our standings, but I have to admit, I am beginning to get a bit worried about facing the Sixers in the 1st round of the playoffs. I would hope we draw a better matchup, they are dangerous.

They might be dangerous next year but this year I think they're much too disorganized and prone to losing focus to do well in playoff basketball.  They dominated Toronto most of the game and then made a ton of mistakes when things tightened up in the 4th.

« Reply #933 on: January 15, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

They might be dangerous next year but this year I think they're much too disorganized and prone to losing focus to do well in playoff basketball.  They dominated Toronto most of the game and then made a ton of mistakes when things tightened up in the 4th.

Yeah they have been having this issue all year. Usually they actually blow the game completely into a loss (happened a few weeks back against Toronto ironically enough). I am not sure that they are going to even make it. Pistons and Pacers both are pretty veterans teams that probably will do better in the second half than the 76ers having Simmons already playing more than he ever has and ongoing issues with Embiid. I think every other team is kind of a lock to make it (heat, cavs, celtics, bucks, raps, wizards)

« Reply #934 on: January 15, 2018, 06:19:51 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Heat is the team i'm most worried about. I want them to match up against Cavs or the Raptors. They are just a bad matchup for anyone.

« Reply #935 on: January 15, 2018, 06:24:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
iT drops 51 on Curry and hits game winner with less 1 sec left in game .

return ....

of the mighty IT.

He is playing 20 minutes a game and shooting 35% so probably not quite there yet...

LOl....thanks .....I got little carried away with my prediction ...... ;D

« Reply #936 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Im torn who I want to win Cavs vs GS.    one hand the thought of cheering for Lewhine is repulsive,  but I want GS to lose to bring them closer to Bostons record .  So many angles to this game .

Maybe Ill cheer for IT ....ignore the fact he plays for His he hated Club LeBron.

« Reply #937 on: January 15, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Im torn who he want to win Cavs vs GS.    one hand the thought of cheering for Lewhine is repulsive,  but I want GS to lose to bring them closer to Bostons record . 

Maybe Ill cheer for IT ....ignore the fact he plays for His he hated Club LeBron.

I want GS to totally blow out the Cavs and send a message that the Cavs don't have what it takes anymore. Add fuel to the turmoil in Cleveland and increase the chance that the front office makes a bad trade.

« Reply #938 on: January 15, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Im torn who I want to win Cavs vs GS.    one hand the thought of cheering for Lewhine is repulsive,  but I want GS to lose to bring them closer to Bostons record .  So many angles to this game .

Is everyone playing tonight for this matchup?

« Reply #939 on: January 15, 2018, 06:36:12 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yeah they have been having this issue all year. Usually they actually blow the game completely into a loss (happened a few weeks back against Toronto ironically enough). I am not sure that they are going to even make it. Pistons and Pacers both are pretty veterans teams that probably will do better in the second half than the 76ers having Simmons already playing more than he ever has and ongoing issues with Embiid. I think every other team is kind of a lock to make it (heat, cavs, celtics, bucks, raps, wizards)
I predicted that the Sixers would make the playoffs if they were close to .500 at the hallway point and Embiid plays 60+ games.  I'll stick with that.  Their 2nd half schedule is much easier.  After Thursday's game, they will have played all their games against us, Toronto, GSW and Houston.  In case of a tie, the Sixers are 3-0 against the Pistons with 1 game left and 1-0 against the Pacers with 2 games left. 

It will be interesting to see how aggressive the Sixers are trying to make the playoffs.  Does Embiid play any B2Bs?  Do they make a playoff focused deadline trade? 

« Reply #940 on: January 15, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Is everyone playing tonight for this matchup?

Maybe not Rose .    I think GS is healthy .   It should be a barn burner.   Lebron has been spanked in this game several times 6 of 7 osmething like that .   He may open the special can tonight to prove a point ......no matter where he lands next season .....he can still get the job done ....

« Reply #941 on: January 15, 2018, 07:06:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I kind of want Golden State to KILL Cleveland.

I understand the implications with W-L record between Golden State and Boston, but at the same time, if the Cavaliers suffer another humiliating loss, this time at the hands of Golden State while at home (Quicken Loans Arena), then I could imagine things start to get real ugly in Cleveland honestly.

They are just 2 games away from being a 5 seed in the standings, and I could see LBJ getting restless and demanding they fire Lue, and/or trade the Nets Pick for some sort of help. Problem is, Cousins is likely NOT getting dealt, and DeAndre Jordan might not be either, in which case, their options are limited to mainly buyout options which probably isn't threading the needle for them in a series vs. Golden State.

It's strange really, I think Golden State would also kill us (Boston) in a Final series, BUT we do seem to match up well against them to be honest, even better than Cleveland. Of course, Cleveland > Boston w/King James, but still...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #942 on: January 15, 2018, 07:29:04 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Toronto's getting clobbered by Philly and I am here for it. We need them to rack up those losses to stretch our margin of error for homecourt.

This may be the rare game where Philly plays a complete game and doesn't cough up a big lead.

A lot of that is Embiid IMO.

He doesn't play back to backs, he needs games off, and he doesn't train. He has no conditioning or staying power. Watch him next time at a 3rd quarter time-out. He is doubled over sucking in the big ones.

That team goes as far as Embiid carries them, and by the second half of basketball games, he is usually pretty tired. They can get leads and build leads in the first half of games, but then when he fades or needs time off the court in the second half, the team seriously fades with him. The fact that they have no guys that can create their own shot outside of Embiid compounds their woes down the stretch.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #943 on: January 15, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I predicted that the Sixers would make the playoffs if they were close to .500 at the hallway point and Embiid plays 60+ games.  I'll stick with that.  Their 2nd half schedule is much easier.  After Thursday's game, they will have played all their games against us, Toronto, GSW and Houston.  In case of a tie, the Sixers are 3-0 against the Pistons with 1 game left and 1-0 against the Pacers with 2 games left. 

It will be interesting to see how aggressive the Sixers are trying to make the playoffs.  Does Embiid play any B2Bs?  Do they make a playoff focused deadline trade?

Its certainly possible, but you have always been one of the most optimistic people regarding the 76ers. On the positive side of the ledger simmons has been as good as could be hoped for and Emiid has been mostly healthy. On the flip side Fultz is starting to look like one of the weirdest stories in the history of the NBA. I do think they could trade their own first round pick for Williams, but the Clippers are talking about extending him. I am not sure what kinds of shooters are out there that would really help them.

« Reply #944 on: January 15, 2018, 07:40:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I kind of want Golden State to KILL Cleveland.

I understand the implications with W-L record between Golden State and Boston, but at the same time, if the Cavaliers suffer another humiliating loss, this time at the hands of Golden State while at home (Quicken Loans Arena), then I could imagine things start to get real ugly in Cleveland honestly.

They are just 2 games away from being a 5 seed in the standings, and I could see LBJ getting restless and demanding they fire Lue, and/or trade the Nets Pick for some sort of help. Problem is, Cousins is likely NOT getting dealt, and DeAndre Jordan might not be either, in which case, their options are limited to mainly buyout options which probably isn't threading the needle for them in a series vs. Golden State.

It's strange really, I think Golden State would also kill us (Boston) in a Final series, BUT we do seem to match up well against them to be honest, even better than Cleveland. Of course, Cleveland > Boston w/King James, but still...

I agree with all of this. We also would give Golden State a more competitive series because it is not a coaching mismatch like Kerr running circles around Lue. The Cavs needed to fire Lue a week ago.