Author Topic: 2017-18 NBA Season  (Read 199989 times)

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season
« Reply #435 on: November 12, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
What is your general perception of Carmelo Anthony as a player for his entire carer?
I am having a constant argument with my brother about this topic and I would really like an outside opinion or a general perception of things.

My case is that obviously he's a remarkable offensive talent...and that's pretty much it. Plays below average defense, and makes nobody around him better to say at least. Now there are more than a couple of evidences to confirm that. I remember him going down, and Linsanity era started, with the Knicks winning like 10 straight games, he comes back, they are back in the .500 area.
The latest case is him leaving the Knicks and joining the OKC. The Knicks with only one really talented player and a bunch of scrubs have a 7-5 record, while a loaded OKC(5-7) squad is struggling to win games and lose to teams like the Kings.
Of course it is still a very young season, but the fact that Melo makes his teams worst is something that I was convinced of ever since he got traded to the Knicks.

Is he a future HOF(as my brother claims)?
What has he really done to deserve this honor, outside of scoring a bunch of points and making the All Star team, and okay, winning medals with the Team USA.

IMHO he is the most overrated player of all time
The scoring averages and totals will make him a Hall of Famer.  He deserves it based on the numbers.  But you are absolutely right that he makes teams worse and is selfish and lazy.  I'm certain he will still make the Hall of Fame though.

Yup. HOF easily. T-Mac made it. Melo will too.

But it's easy to see now why George "snake in the grass" Karl was just tickled when he was traded away from Denver, even without getting a star player back.

« Reply #436 on: November 12, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
What is your general perception of Carmelo Anthony as a player for his entire carer?
I am having a constant argument with my brother about this topic and I would really like an outside opinion or a general perception of things.

My case is that obviously he's a remarkable offensive talent...and that's pretty much it. Plays below average defense, and makes nobody around him better to say at least. Now there are more than a couple of evidences to confirm that. I remember him going down, and Linsanity era started, with the Knicks winning like 10 straight games, he comes back, they are back in the .500 area.
The latest case is him leaving the Knicks and joining the OKC. The Knicks with only one really talented player and a bunch of scrubs have a 7-5 record, while a loaded OKC(5-7) squad is struggling to win games and lose to teams like the Kings.
Of course it is still a very young season, but the fact that Melo makes his teams worst is something that I was convinced of ever since he got traded to the Knicks.

What has he really done to deserve this honor, outside of scoring a bunch of points and making the All Star team, and okay, winning medals with the Team USA.

Melo is 10 times All Star, 6x all NBA, and scoring champion in 2012-13 . For comparison, Guy Rodgers who was inducted in 2014 was 4 times All Star and 2 times leader in assists.

Melo is a sure HOFer.

« Reply #437 on: November 12, 2017, 09:06:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its really a bummer to watch Dirk out there unable to move at all. Moving more like Bogut than any other NBA player I've seen this year.

« Reply #438 on: November 12, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Its really a bummer to watch Dirk out there unable to move at all. Moving more like Bogut than any other NBA player I've seen this year.
Should have retired. What the heck is he trying to prove anyways. Assured HOF his jersey going up the rafters...his time is up.

« Reply #439 on: November 12, 2017, 09:14:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It wouldn't be so bad if he was on a better team

« Reply #440 on: November 12, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Melo is 10 times All Star, 6x all NBA, and scoring champion in 2012-13 . For comparison, Guy Rodgers who was inducted in 2014 was 4 times All Star and 2 times leader in assists.

Melo is a sure HOFer.
The question would be what team would retire his jersey?
I believe that apart from a surefire HOF career, players also want a team honoring them in some way like a jersey or number retirement...but for a journeyman allstar..who honors him?.  Denver might but its probably not a given since he didnt lead them anywhere close to the Finals...I also dont think NY aint gonna touch him.
He might end up like Ray Allen or Gary Payton..

« Reply #441 on: November 12, 2017, 09:26:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I wonder how aware he is of it.  I've always heard athletes say that they often don't realize that they've slowed down, or to what extent.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #442 on: November 12, 2017, 09:41:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Why is dirk still playing? Feel like he’s just padding his career stat totals at this point

« Reply #443 on: November 12, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It wouldn't be so bad if he was on a better team

Wouldn’t it? A better team would have to sit him.

« Reply #444 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Why is dirk still playing? Feel like he’s just padding his career stat totals at this point

It’s tough to walk away from something you’ve been doing your entire life.

« Reply #445 on: November 12, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

mavs GM is partially to blame for even giving the guy a contract

« Reply #446 on: November 12, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I mean they're tanking this year so it doesn't really matter.

I don't blame KG or Dirk or whomever for keeping going till they're ready to be done.

« Reply #447 on: November 12, 2017, 10:29:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

At least he would be winning - he would be getting solid praise in a 2008 PJ Brown role. With the Mavs basically tanking now, the end of his career is just sad. I guess the fact that he is sticking it out with the Mavs for his entire career is admirable, too.

« Reply #448 on: November 12, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

I mean they're tanking this year so it doesn't really matter.

I don't blame KG or Dirk or whomever for keeping going till they're ready to be done.

Marc Cuban should have sense of favor and release Dirk for either a chance to play on another contender or buy his contract out so he can finally rest while getting paid like the Spurs did on Duncan.

« Reply #449 on: November 13, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
The Celtics haven't lost a game since their 0-2 start to the season. According to Elias Sports Bureau research, their 12-game winning streak is tied with the 2006-07 Mavericks for the longest win streak immediately following an 0-2 or worse start to the season. That Mavericks team went on to win a franchise-best 67 games