Author Topic: 2017-18 NBA Season  (Read 199248 times)

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Simmons with a triple-double, Embiid with 30. And Fultz increases his tiny sample of suckiness to 4.
Simmons looks very good (although he needs to improve shooting to be a franchise star). Embiid is a franchise star if he says healthy. I am losing confidence in fultz every game. I'll keep beleiving he has a chance to be very good, but I like the trade more every day.

The ROY race is between Simmons and Ball. Nobody else will even come close to challenging those two. They will have all the playing time, opportunity, and media attention to put up the crazy stats, and they are also actually both [dang] good.

What about Tatum? Don't get how a guy putting up huge stats and starting in Boston is behind two potential lottery teams.

I love Tatum, and he will get playing time, but the Celtics play a very team oriented game, and he will not see the shot attempts or get the ball enough to compete with two guys who will be putting up triple-doubles throughout the season. The Celtics would need to challenge for the #1 seed in the East with Tatum playing a major role just for him to even be in consideration imo.
This is why winning ROY is a bit of a misnomer.  It is supposed to reflect the potential of the winner to be next superstar in the league, but in reality it is skewed by the fact that lottery teams are usually terrible and so they play their #1 pick a lot.  ROY is the least memorable award in the NBA.  It would be nice for Tatum to win it, but it doesn't really matter.

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This article on Kelly Oubre Jr had some good stuff.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/20/16506934/kelly-oubre-wizards-bench-depth

The Ringer also published an article on Fultz: less original, more of a summary of what has happened the last few months. Links to the fans tweets  was the part I liked the most.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/23/16518782/markelle-fultz-sixers-early-season-panic

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Simmons with a triple-double, Embiid with 30. And Fultz increases his tiny sample of suckiness to 4.
Simmons looks very good (although he needs to improve shooting to be a franchise star). Embiid is a franchise star if he says healthy. I am losing confidence in fultz every game. I'll keep beleiving he has a chance to be very good, but I like the trade more every day.

The ROY race is between Simmons and Ball. Nobody else will even come close to challenging those two. They will have all the playing time, opportunity, and media attention to put up the crazy stats, and they are also actually both [dang] good.

What about Tatum? Don't get how a guy putting up huge stats and starting in Boston is behind two potential lottery teams.

I love Tatum, and he will get playing time, but the Celtics play a very team oriented game, and he will not see the shot attempts or get the ball enough to compete with two guys who will be putting up triple-doubles throughout the season. The Celtics would need to challenge for the #1 seed in the East with Tatum playing a major role just for him to even be in consideration imo.
This is why winning ROY is a bit of a misnomer.  It is supposed to reflect the potential of the winner to be next superstar in the league, but in reality it is skewed by the fact that lottery teams are usually terrible and so they play their #1 pick a lot.  ROY is the least memorable award in the NBA.  It would be nice for Tatum to win it, but it doesn't really matter.
The rookie of the year is supposed to reflect the rookie that had the best season.  Similar to the MVP in that regard.  And while role and team record comes into play, those awards are often statistical based awards.  Rookies with the best stats are often high draft picks on bad teams.  Just the nature of the beast. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The rookie of the year is supposed to reflect the rookie that had the best season.  Similar to the MVP in that regard.  And while role and team record comes into play, those awards are often statistical based awards.  Rookies with the best stats are often high draft picks on bad teams.  Just the nature of the beast.

So you’re telling me that the MVP often goes to players with great stats on bad teams? 

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

So you’re telling me that the MVP often goes to players with great stats on bad teams?
No he didn't say that.  He said stats is the key factor in both awards, but lotto rookies are often on bad teams.  This is same thing I said.

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

No he didn't say that.  He said stats is the key factor in both awards, but lotto rookies are often on bad teams.  This is same thing I said.

Okay — sounded to me like he was disagreeing with you.

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Is there a written description somewhere of what the ROY is supposed to be?  I've never thought of it as going to the "best potential", but rather to the rookie having the best season.  Are you just making this up?

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
So the Cavaliers are locked into a tight one with the Bulls....  ???
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
So the Pacers are beating the TWolves 124-103 at Minny. Domantas Sabonis went 7 for 7 tonight presumably against KAT.

Is that what happened?

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
So the Pacers are beating the TWolves 124-103 at Minny. Domantas Sabonis went 7 for 7 tonight presumably against KAT.

Is that what happened?

Good for the LA pick...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2017, 11:29:49 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2017, 11:32:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Is that what happened?

Jimmy Butler didn't play.  The Pacers also went 10/22 from three.  And Darren Collison had like 32 assists.

I think teams care a lot more about developing their system and cohesion early on, especially with new pieces.  CLE seemed to do that all season last year, and LBJ was open about it.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2017, 04:36:08 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Is that what happened?

Jimmy Butler didn't play.  The Pacers also went 10/22 from three.  And Darren Collison had like 32 assists.

I think teams care a lot more about developing their system and cohesion early on, especially with new pieces.  CLE seemed to do that all season last year, and LBJ was open about it.
Towns and Wiggins are still continuing their poor defensive play.  If they can't play average defense, I'd expect the TWolves to fall short of expectations again.