Author Topic: Crowder on Hayward - was it a dirty play?  (Read 10888 times)

Re: Crowder on Hayward - was it a dirty play?
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I just don't see it. The injury was a freak accident and I think the result is making some people see things. If everything else had been the same but Hayward hadn't come down on his leg weird, I doubt anyone would've thought twice about the play.

Was it really a freak accident?  What if Jae didnt do what he did.... You think GH injury happens

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not dirty. Probably should've been a foul but also not the kind of foul they usually call. But not dirty, just a routine challenge of a lob. Notice not a peep from a single player, coach, or a real analyst even suggesting anything else.
Yeah the bumping as someone goes up for a tip in or rebound is one that's not called a ton and happens a lot.

Just sucks  :(

It's a good argument for why it should be looked out for and called more often, injuries are bound to happen when bumping/guiding guys in midair becomes routine. But still not dirty. Just dangerous.

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Do I think Crowder went into the motion thinking he wanted to injure Gordon, highly doubt it. But make no mistakes about it, he knew what he was doing. Everyone who has ever played basketball knows that you don't hit someone mid air because this type of thing is a possibility. My main gripe with the whole thing is that the refs were oblivious to an obvious foul that every1 could see and unfortunately led to a horrific injury. But this is expected when the Celts are playing in Cleveland, or on nationally televised games, or any game for that matter..
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
double post
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I just don't see it. The injury was a freak accident and I think the result is making some people see things. If everything else had been the same but Hayward hadn't come down on his leg weird, I doubt anyone would've thought twice about the play.

Was it really a freak accident?  What if Jae didnt do what he did.... You think GH injury happens
I don't know. That's the thing about freak accidents. They're not really predictable.

But I think what I wrote still stands. If Crowder and Lebron had done exactly what they did but Hayward had come down slightly differently, no one would've given that play a second though.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2017, 02:05:25 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
No.

Sometimes there's nobody to blame. It's not on Crowder, or Lebron, or Kyrie, or Hayward himself.  It just happened.

This^.

Crowder was just playing basketball, trying to break up the oop pass.   He played just as hard for us as a Celtic and it wasn't a dirty play then.   He maybe could have been called for the contact, but that would be normal foul.

These sorts of bump plays happen a zillion times in every game.

Bad luck just happens sometime.   And this was freakish bad luck.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I haven't seen a lot of different angles on the play but it difn't appear there was a ton of contact, just ordinary contact when someone goes up. I don't see anything dirty and especially not malicious. Hayward was just thrown off bakance a bit and landed poorly. Freak accident is all. No one's fault.

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't know. That's the thing about freak accidents. They're not really predictable.

But I think what I wrote still stands. If Crowder and Lebron had done exactly what they did but Hayward had come down slightly differently, no one would've given that play a second though.

No one gives much thought when a player throws arms recklessly around until, you know, an elbow lands on someone's cranium.

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I haven't seen a lot of different angles on the play but it difn't appear there was a ton of contact, just ordinary contact when someone goes up. I don't see anything dirty and especially not malicious. Hayward was just thrown off bakance a bit and landed poorly. Freak accident is all. No one's fault.

Here's the one I'm seeing... Crowder clearly throws his hip at Hayward while he's in the air. I just can't sit here and accept that anyone would call that normal contact and ordinary when someone goes up. That's just completely false. Malicious intent or not aside. The play was just dirty.

https://twitter.com/jva4/status/920460872748797954

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Here's the one I'm seeing... Crowder clearly throws his hip at Hayward while he's in the air. I just can't sit here and accept that anyone would call that normal contact and ordinary when someone goes up. That's just completely false. Malicious intent or not aside. The play was just dirty.

I think we are capable of seeing what we want to see. I did not see what you described.

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Was GH wearing the Kyrie shoes? Does he not normally wear those, wonder if he had high tops or something this could have been prevented. I have some and they have crazy grip where whichever way you plant they do not budge. 
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Thats a dirty play from Crowder

100% clean on Lebron's end.

Ridiculous to blame Crowder for the injury or to assume that he intended for Gordon to get hurt, but he made a dangerous and dirty play in attempt to make the oop difficult for Gordon.

No malicious intent, but absolutely a dirty play. Dont see much difference between Wade pulling Rondo down and Klynyk pulling Love's arm out.

Guys making dirty plays with no intention to hurt or injure. They are still dirty, all 3 guys knew they were dirty plays and all did them to try to make the play difficult for the other player rather than to hurt them.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I am not seeing it. Heck from that angle I am not sure Crowder even touched him with anything but his arm. In that angle it looks more like the contact from Lebron through Hayward off balance, not that Crowder did.

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This video offers a better view. Looks to me like Crowder used his hip to push under Hayward. I'm sure he didn't intend to hurt Hayward, but I think some "blame" can be attributed to Crowder.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
This video offers a better view. Looks to me like Crowder used his hip to push under Hayward. I'm sure he didn't intend to hurt Hayward, but I think some "blame" can be attributed to Crowder.
Again, can't even be sure Crowder touched him except with his arm in that angle. It still looks like Lebron's contact is what threw Hayward off balance.