Author Topic: Maybe Baynes should be a full time starter.  (Read 920 times)

Maybe Baynes should be a full time starter.
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »

Offline jackpercussion

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
I was reading the comments about Embid toward Drummond regarding Drummond not being able to play defense.  Embid scores over 30 against Detroit.  Against Baynes he really struggled.  You could tell Baynes "was in his head" all game, even when Baynes wasn't even on the court.  Then Porzingis last night, who is averaging 30 points had a tough shooting night starting against Baynes and others. 
Against the Bucks last week Baynes did not start.  The Greek Freek was unstoppable and the Celtics lost.  I'm not saying Baynes will should be guarding him all game.  However, the Freak is killing everyone inside.  Baynes could definitely bump and bruise him early enough inside which may get the Freak to think twice about heading to the hoop as much.

Re: Maybe Baynes should be a full time starter.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I was reading the comments about Embid toward Drummond regarding Drummond not being able to play defense.  Embid scores over 30 against Detroit.  Against Baynes he really struggled.  You could tell Baynes "was in his head" all game, even when Baynes wasn't even on the court.  Then Porzingis last night, who is averaging 30 points had a tough shooting night starting against Baynes and others. 
Against the Bucks last week Baynes did not start.  The Greek Freek was unstoppable and the Celtics lost.  I'm not saying Baynes will should be guarding him all game.  However, the Freak is killing everyone inside.  Baynes could definitely bump and bruise him early enough inside which may get the Freak to think twice about heading to the hoop as much.

I'd be happy with having him start, at least in most games. If there's an obvious matchup issue against a team that usually goes small with its starting lineup, then sure, don't start him. But despite the small-ball trend, many teams still use a traditionally sized center, and Baynes is just the type of guy the team needs in those situations.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Playing them together gives Horford freedom to do the things he does best, without having to bang with the biggest player on the court down low... like pass, play the pick and roll game, and stretch the floor etc.

Baynes, besides being a physical beast, knows exactly what his job is, and he seldom strays from it.

Good paring.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:56:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
don't know about Baynes starting every game.  More since Hayward injury and Morris seems out of sorts with his conditioning ....i really see no excuse but lazines.

I honestly don't think Marcus Morris , other than being a intimidating force to be used on some bullies can offer as much rebounding and scoring as Jason Tatum does as a 19 year old in his fourth game.

I like Horford , Tatum, Hayward , Brown and Irving . ....this is the group that needs to start when Hayward returns.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Keep starting Irving/Horford/Tatum/Brown and just match up with the 5th starter for now. Most nights Morris probably makes the most sense.

Kanter/Porzingis just made too much sense to have Baynes in there. I don't think we really want him against Maker/Giannis though for example

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I like thinking of Baynes in the same vein as Bogut for that Warriors team. Bogut was an instrumental piece for them, even though he played fewer minutes overall than other starters, and ultimately departed... I think that if Bogut stays healthy, they beat Lebron's Cavs. Lebron had to think twice about getting to the rim with elite backline menace Bogut roaming the paint. Having him in there to start games set the tone.

Now, Bogut was a way better player than Baynes. I'm a big Bogut fan - even with his injury history, that guy was always great. But Baynes is a similar type of player and maybe starting the game, putting in 15-20 minutes of setting the tone, blocking the paint, taking some pressure off Al at the beginning and so on might be a decent option.

Also, they're both Australian.

But ultimately... I trust Brad.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Don't forget Baynes is averaging 8.1 fouls per 36. He brings something important to the team and I can definitely see him continuing to start against certain match ups but I'm assuming when Morris is healthy, he'll be starting.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Yeah, so which teams should Baynes not start against is the better question..

I feel Horford is fine watching Zaza, but it depends on who you think the best matchup for Draymond is. Me personally, I would go with Marcus Smart on Dray. Let Hayward (Tatum in the meantime) deal with Durant, Jaylen can watch Steph, and Kyrie can run around with Klay.

Wow, that idea started off rational.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.