Author Topic: Bucks (0-0) at Celtics (0-1) Game #2 10/18/17  (Read 44079 times)

Re: Bucks (0-0) at Celtics (0-1) Game #2 10/18/17
« Reply #450 on: October 18, 2017, 10:33:04 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Holy hell, people need to chiiillllllaaaaxxxxx. This is virtually a brand new team playing a really tough double-double to start the season. Oh, and we're literally down two starters who happen to play the same position as the guy that's killing us, not even mentioning the Hayward incident...

They deserve time, but Kyrie is still the same player he was in Cleveland. If you're relying on that player to take you places...good luck.

Dude had 22 pts, 10 assists, 4 rebounds, and 3 steals last night. It's a little arbitrary to pick this one out of the hat on the second night of a back to back... the second night of the sesaon with a brand new team... against a really good defensive team... and down two starters.

He played well yesterday (on the assists, though, rewatch them and honestly tell me that you think he's a good passer). Again, Kyrie is a very good player. Very good players have down nights. His style, however, is constant, and it's not a style that's conducive to winning.

You're not giving him enough credit or the benefit of the doubt. He had a terrible night, but given the context it's understandable. It's going to take awhile for him to get acclimated to this system and out of the iso-heavy system he spent six years in with Cleveland.

How has he earned benefit of the doubt? He's always been this player. Why do you expect him to radically change all of a sudden? Say what you want about Brad's system, but more so than ball movement, the central tenet of the system has always been player maximization. Brad's not going to try to change what Kyrie's good at (isolation scoring), he's going to try to maximize it. And I'm sure he will, but that skill maximized is not good enough to win. So, sure, Kyrie will likely get better as the year progresses, but the long-term health of this franchise is in jeopardy if all our eggs are actually in the Kyrie Irving basket.

How are they all in the Kyrie basket anymore than they are in the GH basket or the Al Horford basket?  I don't understand that.  We got 3 max guys on the team now, two stud young players.  everything doesn't come down on Kyrie's shoulders.  Our poor ball movement and poor player movement tonight isn't all on KI.

We didn't trade one of the best contracts in the NBA, an All-NBA Second Teamer, and the most valuable draft asset in the league for Hayward or Horford.

Man we have been over all this stuff over and over and over again in other threads.  Do we really need to re-litigate the trade in the game threads now too?  give me a break.  We have the team we have. 

Sorry that it didn't work out how you liked, but blaming DA, saying we threw everything in the KI basket is just really over the top for one bad game.

It's not about one bad game. If you think it is, you're just not listening to me. Bad games are fine. The style of play that created the bad game is not fine.

The style of play is not all on KI.

His style of play is on him. That's who he is and always has been.

oh man, the statements are getting even more outlandish.  The C's style of play is mainly set by Brad.  We didn't lose this game because of KI's 'style of play'.  We lost it because we didn't play good enough team def to stop giannis, and because our spacing, ball movement and player movement on offense was poor.  that comes from the whole team not just one player.  KI was getting doubled a lot of the time tonight, other guys gotta move their butts and get to an open spot and attack the double team. 

if you wanna blame every loss on one player this season is going to be a long one for you.

Not sure what's unclear about this. I could not care less about losing one game or Kyrie struggling in one game. I care about the way he plays--it's not conducive to winning.
hahaha..

oh wait.. you're serious

i thought he won a championship a year ago?

i guess he was just a lowly role player

*edit* but seriously he's definitely going to have to step it up for us to have a good year

he'll need some time. i think he can do it
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #451 on: October 18, 2017, 10:39:50 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Lotta props to this team for all they've been through.  Brighter days ahead

« Reply #452 on: October 18, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Down 5 with 45 seconds to go? Nah, we're too cool for timeouts, a contested Irving pull-up will do.

This type of "coaching" is infuriating.  >:( >:( >:(

TP. Don't understand Brad's philosophy with not calling timeouts in those situations either.
And it's not like we were rolling offensively either. If I recall correctly, the previous possession ended with a horrible looking Smart three.

Brad is an absolute consensus top 5 coach, most people believe he is top 3.

How on earth do you think (and this is going back years with you) you know better than he does?

Brad is an A- coach that is very young. I cannot state strongly enough how foolish your critiscms of him come across.

We are incredibly, incredibly lucky to have Brad on the sideline.

Are we really going to do the "no criticism of Brad" thing again this year? You'd think he was Jesus incarnate from your posts harping on any who dares to *gasp* criticize the almighty Brad Stevens.

He can be both an excellent coach and still make mistakes. And, yeah, one of his main flaws is to not call timeouts in those situations, especially given his ATO play-calling abilities.

Comparing anyone, player or coach, to perfection is a fool's errand.

Add to that, do you think, if you met with Brad, he wouldn't have a good explanation for his decisions?

You can disagree with things he does, but chances are you are wrong.

Coaching is simply not a problem on this team, and to harp on it, is something I just don't get it.

And kozlodev constantly acts like Brad is just this terroble coach, it isn't simply critizing a decision that was made.

« Reply #453 on: October 18, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Holy hell, people need to chiiillllllaaaaxxxxx. This is virtually a brand new team playing a really tough double-double to start the season. Oh, and we're literally down two starters who happen to play the same position as the guy that's killing us, not even mentioning the Hayward incident...

They deserve time, but Kyrie is still the same player he was in Cleveland. If you're relying on that player to take you places...good luck.

Dude had 22 pts, 10 assists, 4 rebounds, and 3 steals last night. It's a little arbitrary to pick this one out of the hat on the second night of a back to back... the second night of the sesaon with a brand new team... against a really good defensive team... and down two starters.

He played well yesterday (on the assists, though, rewatch them and honestly tell me that you think he's a good passer). Again, Kyrie is a very good player. Very good players have down nights. His style, however, is constant, and it's not a style that's conducive to winning.

You're not giving him enough credit or the benefit of the doubt. He had a terrible night, but given the context it's understandable. It's going to take awhile for him to get acclimated to this system and out of the iso-heavy system he spent six years in with Cleveland.

How has he earned benefit of the doubt? He's always been this player. Why do you expect him to radically change all of a sudden? Say what you want about Brad's system, but more so than ball movement, the central tenet of the system has always been player maximization. Brad's not going to try to change what Kyrie's good at (isolation scoring), he's going to try to maximize it. And I'm sure he will, but that skill maximized is not good enough to win. So, sure, Kyrie will likely get better as the year progresses, but the long-term health of this franchise is in jeopardy if all our eggs are actually in the Kyrie Irving basket.

How are they all in the Kyrie basket anymore than they are in the GH basket or the Al Horford basket?  I don't understand that.  We got 3 max guys on the team now, two stud young players.  everything doesn't come down on Kyrie's shoulders.  Our poor ball movement and poor player movement tonight isn't all on KI.

We didn't trade one of the best contracts in the NBA, an All-NBA Second Teamer, and the most valuable draft asset in the league for Hayward or Horford.

Man we have been over all this stuff over and over and over again in other threads.  Do we really need to re-litigate the trade in the game threads now too?  give me a break.  We have the team we have. 

Sorry that it didn't work out how you liked, but blaming DA, saying we threw everything in the KI basket is just really over the top for one bad game.

It's not about one bad game. If you think it is, you're just not listening to me. Bad games are fine. The style of play that created the bad game is not fine.

oh man, the statements are getting even more outlandish.  The C's style of play is mainly set by Brad.  We didn't lose this game because of KI's 'style of play'.  We lost it because we didn't play good enough team def to stop giannis, and because our spacing, ball movement and player movement on offense was poor.  that comes from the whole team not just one player.  KI was getting doubled a lot of the time tonight, other guys gotta move their butts and get to an open spot and attack the double team. 

if you wanna blame every loss on one player this season is going to be a long one for you.

Not sure what's unclear about this. I could not care less about losing one game or Kyrie struggling in one game. I care about the way he plays--it's not conducive to winning.
hahaha..

oh wait.. you're serious

*edit* but seriously he's definitely going to have to step it up for us to have a good year

There's a big difference between being LeBron's sidekick and carrying a team yourself. Kyrie can be a part of a winning team; he can't carry one.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #454 on: October 18, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Sucks that our first two games are against teams we could really use Hayward and Morris.

« Reply #455 on: October 18, 2017, 11:49:39 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

hahaha..

oh wait.. you're serious

But, serious question: If you swapped out Kyrie, how many players are there in the league that would have won a championship with CLE in 2016? 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #456 on: October 18, 2017, 11:50:21 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
You guys amaze me...

Aren't we allowed to lose even if our arguably best player is out for the season?

This team is being forced to adjust on the fly the loss of GH..2 straight games we lost because we didn't really expect GH to be out yet we played these extremely talented teams at a very good level.

We need the some days off to somehow game plan ourselves for the rest of the season...heck we might even start 0-5 before we get our first win...GH is a very important element in what this team will try to accomplish this yr and now that plan will be thrown out the window.

Smart has to improve. Offensively im still seeing the exact same Smart from last season.

Kyrie and IT are two extremely talented players but two different styles as well...KI seems to me avoids contact. IT on the other hand relishes it and that is why he scores a bunch of points. I still don't think Brad has gotten the opportunity to maximise Kyrie's talent yet.

Brown is looking more and more like our defacto best player right now just because he is practically the only one who can shread the teeth of the defense and is able to score at will. Hopefully the refs would start respecting his game to give him the DWade treatment...he looks like he is almost always fouled whenever he drives to the hoop...Im also interested in giving JB plays where he posts himself up..so far in 2 games he is under utilized offensively and yet managed to be our best offensive weapon on both occasions.

And by the way...we lost because we stunk at the FT line...yup. Sink half of all of those misses and we win this game.

« Reply #457 on: October 18, 2017, 11:55:01 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen

hahaha..

oh wait.. you're serious

There's a big difference between being LeBron's sidekick and carrying a team yourself. Kyrie can be a part of a winning team; he can't carry one.
there's like 15-20 players ever who could "carry" a team to a championship
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #458 on: October 18, 2017, 11:57:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Rozier after the game:

"We messed up on a lot of plays," said Terry Rozier, who notched 15 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two steals in the defeat. "That can't happen. Like (Stevens) said after the game: We're professionals, so we better learn the plays or we won't play."

"We just got a lot of guys that can play multiple positions, so when we call out the plays, some guys just run to the spots that they can play, and it just kind of messes us up," Rozier said. "But like I said, we just gotta get it right. We're professionals, we gotta just play off one another."

People shouldn't be overreacting.  I think the bolded point from Stevens suggests how off they were.

Kyrie as well:

Asked how to address the issue, Kyrie Irving said simply, "Learn the plays."

"Just understand the perception that we need in our preparation comes way before the games," Irving continued. "Like I said, it's going to come in waves and you see out there, we got Nader out there now, we got Shane (Larkin) out there, and to be honest with you, we haven't even, in the first group, practiced with those guys. Now they're out there playing big-time minutes and we need to utilize them and they gotta be in spots and know their spots 1 through 5. The reliance comes on the vets on this team and it trickles all the way down to the 15th guy. We gotta ... remain confident, unwavering in our approach, and we'll be fine."

From Jay King's article.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:06:59 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #459 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:20 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen

hahaha..

oh wait.. you're serious

But, serious question: If you swapped out Kyrie, how many players are there in the league that would have won a championship with CLE in 2016?
i don't know and i don't care

hypothetical questions about the past don't matter
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #460 on: October 19, 2017, 12:00:13 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Yup.  This sudden "Kyrie is a superstar and should be carrying the team alone" narrative all the sudden is silly.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #461 on: October 19, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen

Yup.  This sudden "Kyrie is a superstar and should be carrying the team alone" narrative all the sudden is silly.
agreed

TP
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #462 on: October 19, 2017, 12:21:14 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Rozier after the game:

"We messed up on a lot of plays," said Terry Rozier, who notched 15 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two steals in the defeat. "That can't happen. Like (Stevens) said after the game: We're professionals, so we better learn the plays or we won't play."

"We just got a lot of guys that can play multiple positions, so when we call out the plays, some guys just run to the spots that they can play, and it just kind of messes us up," Rozier said. "But like I said, we just gotta get it right. We're professionals, we gotta just play off one another."

People shouldn't be overreacting.  I think the bolded point from Stevens suggests how off they were.

Kyrie as well:

Asked how to address the issue, Kyrie Irving said simply, "Learn the plays."

"Just understand the perception that we need in our preparation comes way before the games," Irving continued. "Like I said, it's going to come in waves and you see out there, we got Nader out there now, we got Shane (Larkin) out there, and to be honest with you, we haven't even, in the first group, practiced with those guys. Now they're out there playing big-time minutes and we need to utilize them and they gotta be in spots and know their spots 1 through 5. The reliance comes on the vets on this team and it trickles all the way down to the 15th guy. We gotta ... remain confident, unwavering in our approach, and we'll be fine."

From Jay King's article.
Always beneficial to understand the perception that we need in our preparation.  This perception, it comes way before the games.

« Reply #463 on: October 19, 2017, 12:23:47 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
how many points did Kyrie score tonight?

« Reply #464 on: October 19, 2017, 12:25:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
how many points did Kyrie score tonight?
How many shots did he miss though?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA