Author Topic: Disabled Player Exception- which player will we target?  (Read 4694 times)

Re: Disabled Player Exception- which player will we target?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 08:27:19 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Let's wait for buyout candidates. I'm hoping for Tyson Chandler.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
We are still a lock for the post-season.

Apply for the exception now and sign a veteran waived by the end of the season or a player in the last year of his contract that underperformed during the year by the trade deadline: amir, joe johnson, Monroe, maybe even Bradley?
Have you looked into the future to guarantee everyone else remains healthy?  If Irving or Horford miss 20 games, we'd have to back into the playoffs by virtue of the other teams being bad. 

I don't see any of the players you mention getting waived.  If Bradley did, some team would certainly claim him. 

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd take the flyer on Bosh now. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Firstly Hayward has to be ruled out by doctors for the entire season, through the NBA finals.  So he’d have to require recovery time of a minimum of 8 months.  While that’s possible, I’m going to hope he has the potential for quicker recovery than that.

Secondly, the Celtics aren’t going to go into the luxury tax for a replacement, so the max we will sign a player for is $9 million (assuming we are awarded the exception to begin with).

Thirdly, we can also use it to trade for a player who is in the final year (including options) of his contract.

I think the best replacement we could get in the free agent market is Alexi Shved.  With $9 million to spend, we could certainly afford to buy him out of his final year in Russia and give him a raise from his current salary of around $3 million.

The most interesting players we could trade for are Jabari Parker and Aaron Gordon.  The cost might be steep, but Parker is certainly available, and Gordon could be too for the right draft picks.

But mostly I want to hear the Hayward will be ready to return in late March or early April.  We can get to the playoffs without him, and probably still nab a top 4 seed.

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Lets assume Hayward is out all season (may not be true):

What is Disabled Player Exception?
This exception allows a team to replace a player who has been injured and will be out the rest of the season or for the entire next season (if the injury occurs during the off-season).  This exception may also be used in the tragic case of a player's death.

The team's selected replacement player may be signed for a maximum salary of either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the mid-level exception for a non-luxury tax paying team, whichever is less.  Since this exception is dependent on a player being seriously injured, it requires an NBA-assigned physician to verify the extent of the injury.  An example of this exception in action is when the Portland Trailblazers used it to sign replacement players when number one draft pick Greg Oden went down with multiple knee injuries.  The new Collective Bargaining Agreement allows a team to sign a replacement player for only one year, down from five years under the previous CBA.

I dont think Celtics will sign anyone. Which decent vet is available?

Matt Barnes, Alan Anderson, Monta Ellis, Gerald Green, the Mikes (Miller and Dunleavy). That's probably the best guys out there now.

Too many inexperienced guys on our team. Not many guys Stevens could go to and trust. That's why I felt Ainge did a poor job constructing the backend of the roster with inexperienced players.
I am not sure what people are expecting from Danny Ainge.  He had a ton of draft picks and pretty much used them or traded them all (except LAL 2018 1st).  That means there will be rookies on the roster.  Did you want him to trade away Tatum, Brown, Semi-, Yabu, Theis, even Rozier for vets like Monta Ellis or Mike Dunleavy?  Come on, get real.

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
We are still a lock for the post-season.

Apply for the exception now and sign a veteran waived by the end of the season or a player in the last year of his contract that underperformed during the year by the trade deadline: amir, joe johnson, Monroe, maybe even Bradley?
Have you looked into the future to guarantee everyone else remains healthy?  If Irving or Horford miss 20 games, we'd have to back into the playoffs by virtue of the other teams being bad. 

I don't see any of the players you mention getting waived.  If Bradley did, some team would certainly claim him.

Those are players that could underperform and be traded for the Cs

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
Maybe some unexpected player will force a buyout, so that he can sign a nice big 1y deal with the Cs? Somebody stuck on a bad team that is not in it's future plans, but better than T.Chandler. I mean, get that buyout, Brook Lopez  ;)

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 08:20:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Who should celts target via trade

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Maybe some unexpected player will force a buyout, so that he can sign a nice big 1y deal with the Cs? Somebody stuck on a bad team that is not in it's future plans, but better than T.Chandler. I mean, get that buyout, Brook Lopez  ;)

I agree, I will wait.

The league now knows the Celtics can offer a little bit more money compare to most teams, it's not impossible to see some players to want to get a buyout and join us.

Right now, I like the Gerald Green idea. Bring him back, and leave one roster spot available for that buyout candidate. I like Brandon Rush here as well. If we want toughness, let's go for Matt Barnes (although he could be risky with his attitude).

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:04:11 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:03 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If we are granted the exception, I would like to see them target a 3 and D guy like Lance Thomas. I'm not sure Ojeleye is ready to play significant minutes with Hayward out.

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
We need floor spacing so badly, and are so young -- I'd even consider Ray Allen. 

Yes, that guy.

I mean, defenses would still have to respect the 3 right? 

And we could use another leaders voice. 

I know if it was me in the locker room, I'd have a hard time getting behind the new guy who, despite flying 3 days a week for work, isn't sure if we live on a round planet or not.

At the end of the day, any exception-signee isn't moving the needle. 

Bottom line, Kyrie needs to step up.  He has the talent.

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
If we are granted the exception, I would like to see them target a 3 and D guy like Lance Thomas. I'm not sure Ojeleye is ready to play significant minutes with Hayward out.

Has too many years left on his deal. I think we're limited to FAs/Buyouts/and Final Year guys all under 9 Mil.

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It is probably best to wait for a buy-out candidate. Wade and J Green would probably love the extra money to 'star' on the Cs team right about now.

Our 9-man rotation with Hayward and Morris was incredibly solid, but it has become a bit painful now that we are down to 7. I get that Stevens has no choice but to play other players or our 'top 7' will get totally burned out, but I get uncomfortable every time anybody else is out there.

It might be best to take a flier on G Green or Monta Ellis right now, then let an end of the bench player go if a buy-out veteran becomes available.

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I'd take the flyer on Bosh now.

Yes, please.

They won't though.

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We need floor spacing so badly, and are so young -- I'd even consider Ray Allen. 

Yes, that guy.

I mean, defenses would still have to respect the 3 right? 

And we could use another leaders voice. 

I know if it was me in the locker room, I'd have a hard time getting behind the new guy who, despite flying 3 days a week for work, isn't sure if we live on a round planet or not.

At the end of the day, any exception-signee isn't moving the needle. 

Bottom line, Kyrie needs to step up.  He has the talent.

He cant do it all