Author Topic: Disabled Player Exception- which player will we target?  (Read 4700 times)

Disabled Player Exception- which player will we target?
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:23:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lets assume Hayward is out all season (may not be true):

What is Disabled Player Exception?
This exception allows a team to replace a player who has been injured and will be out the rest of the season or for the entire next season (if the injury occurs during the off-season).  This exception may also be used in the tragic case of a player's death.

The team's selected replacement player may be signed for a maximum salary of either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the mid-level exception for a non-luxury tax paying team, whichever is less.  Since this exception is dependent on a player being seriously injured, it requires an NBA-assigned physician to verify the extent of the injury.  An example of this exception in action is when the Portland Trailblazers used it to sign replacement players when number one draft pick Greg Oden went down with multiple knee injuries.  The new Collective Bargaining Agreement allows a team to sign a replacement player for only one year, down from five years under the previous CBA.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:34:35 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: Disabled Player Exception- which player will we target?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Have the doctors ruled him out for the season?

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
So if you sign a guy using this the disabled player can't possibly come back that year?

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
So if you sign a guy using this the disabled player can't possibly come back that year?
sounds like you can only sign a replacement for 1 year. So it's like a rental

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:37:53 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
i thought you can only use the disabled player exception when the injury occurs during the off-season?

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:39:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I think Houston got Trevor Ariza on a multi-year deal on the disabled player exception. Yao Ming's injury I think. It was an MLE level contract. If I remember right.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:37:29 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I think Houston got Trevor Ariza on a multi-year deal on the disabled player exception. Yao Ming's injury I think. It was an MLE level contract. If I remember right.
I think that was before the new CBA

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 01:40:03 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I now fully understand your question and I'm not sure of the answer.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:30:29 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I now fully understand your question and I'm not sure of the answer.
I think this one happened before. I forget who.

The exception is only granted if the medics (team + league office) believe the player won't be able to return this season but if they are wrong and the player manages to return, he is allowed to come back.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Whatever they do, you are not replacing Gordon Hayward with anybody off the scrap heap.  Brad and Danny know Morris is coming back soon and will take a forward spot, so they go get a big man instead.  Certainly don't need any more guards,

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Whatever they do, you are not replacing Gordon Hayward with anybody off the scrap heap.  Brad and Danny know Morris is coming back soon and will take a forward spot, so they go get a big man instead.  Certainly don't need any more guards,

We've said we don't need anymore guards like three guards ago  :(

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

This exception allows a team to replace a player who has been injured and will be out the rest of the season or for the entire next season (if the injury occurs during the off-season).  This exception may also be used in the tragic case of a player's death.

The team's selected replacement player may be signed for a maximum salary of either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the mid-level exception for a non-luxury tax paying team, whichever is less.  Since this exception is dependent on a player being seriously injured, it requires an NBA-assigned physician to verify the extent of the injury.  An example of this exception in action is when the Portland Trailblazers used it to sign replacement players when number one draft pick Greg Oden went down with multiple knee injuries.  The new Collective Bargaining Agreement allows a team to sign a replacement player for only one year, down from five years under the previous CBA.

I dont think Celtics will sign anyone. Which decent vet is available?

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Don't sign anyone, hope and pray that the reports are true that it's a clean break and there is no ligament damage.. seems the general consensus is if it is in fact a clean break, and if he rehabs well, a March return is not out of the realm of possibility.

That being said, don't sign anyone, and let's see what these young guys are about. If nothing else, the experience they get this year from this awful injury will make them that much better to come out and play next season.. hopefully with a fully recovered Gordon.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I dont think Celtics will sign anyone. Which decent vet is available?

Matt Barnes, Alan Anderson, Monta Ellis, Gerald Green, the Mikes (Miller and Dunleavy). That's probably the best guys out there now.

Too many inexperienced guys on our team. Not many guys Stevens could go to and trust. That's why I felt Ainge did a poor job constructing the backend of the roster with inexperienced players.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
We are still a lock for the post-season.

Apply for the exception now and sign a veteran waived by the end of the season or a player in the last year of his contract that underperformed during the year by the trade deadline: amir, joe johnson, Monroe, maybe even Bradley?