Author Topic: Season over- Hayward breaks leg in 1st quarter (ankle fracture dislocation?)  (Read 26035 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Imagine if the Hayward injury happened with the same roster from last season.  That would have truly been devastating as a fan.
Imagine if the Hayward injury happened while Thomas was still on the roster. We'd be looking for Jae Crowder to carry the team...

Of course, without the trade, the injury never happens.  For all we know, a never-traded Jae would have undercut a jumping Lebron and ended his season.

The injury sucks enough without going down the hypothetical road.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Crossing fingers season is not over... We will see what the doctors say
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:43:21 AM by triboy16f »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Waawaawaa.

My infant niece cries less than the sissies on this blog.

Hayward is a very good player, but he is certainly not Lebron.

This almost guarantees that Jaylen, Tatum, and Smart will get extended minutes this year, thus expediting their development.

If you thought that the Celtics were going to beat GS, you're crazy.

Waaaaaaa.

Not really helpful. A lot of us devote too much of our personal time - even during the summer - to researching, discussing, and watching the Cs. Expectations were high this season and to not even get a 1/2 quarter of basketball of our exciting new team is disappointing. People should be allowed to vent even if you think you are too cool to do so.

Not an issue of being cool. Just not being chicken little. The Celtics were not favored to win a ring yesterday, and they aren't today. The season is not over. I was pointing out that many are acting weak here. Many teams have overcome injuries to have good seasons. There are many potential positives that could come out of this season. To say that the season is over is foolish.

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

I'm almost positive Hayward could be back if they wanted him to come back.  While the dislocations and breaks are horrific looking injuries, they aren't the worst injuries.  Look at Kobe, you couldn't even tell anything happened to him other than his limp, but a torn Achilles tendon is something players have a really hard time coming back to their old selves from.   Edelman's knee injury didn't look bad at all, most of the time that is a two year injury before the player has all the explosion back he had before.

Seriousness wise, I don't think this injury is that bad.  Bones heal really well and remarkably quickly.  Often the bone is stronger after it heals than it was before.  Other than that San Fransisco pitcher, I think it was a guy named Black but I could be wrong, who had a tumor that weakened his forearm and Romo with is clavicle, I can't think of any athlete that has broken a major bone, not including something like the hamate bone for hitters, more than once.      Dislocations pop back in and as long as all the tendons aren't torn it is like a really bad sprain. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hayward back in late January or early February.  Athletes at this young age heal quickly.  How effective he will be could be another matter with his conditioning and skill loss from not playing.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What are the chances GH career is finished or he will never be the same again?

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
What are the chances GH career is finished or he will never be the same again?

Extremely high....if this were the 1920's

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Has anyone heard any updates on Gordy yet? I'm still praying it's less than six months to give him a reasonable chance of getting back on the court this season, even if he's rusty as all get out.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Has anyone heard any updates on Gordy yet?
I imagine we won't hear anything till ownership/management has been totally debriefed by doctors and med staff.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Has anyone heard any updates on Gordy yet? I'm still praying it's less than six months to give him a reasonable chance of getting back on the court this season, even if he's rusty as all get out.

All I've heard is he'll have surgery today, not in a couple of days as some reported.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Recent Speculation

Determining how long Hayward will be sidelined is difficult as injuries of this magnitude rarely have a good comparison, especially in the NBA. Initial associations to Paul George’s gruesome leg injury during the summer of 2014 are natural but the two injuries are drastically different. George’s injury was an open fracture of both the tibia and the fibula. Though a rod was eventually inserted to stabilize the fracture site, the break actually occurred in a favorable location. By breaking the bones near the mid-shaft, George was able to avoid extensive ligament and tendon damage. However, it is unlikely Hayward was as fortunate. His break occurred at the distal end of the tibia, a site that serves as an anchor site for multiple ligaments. Furthermore, it is rare that a dislocation occurs without some level of ligament or soft tissue damage. Damage to the articular cartilage of the talus must also be considered. – via In Street Clothes

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532

All I've heard is he'll have surgery today, not in a couple of days as some reported.
Guessing he's already had it. 

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not yet.

This article includes some speculation:

Determining how long Hayward will be sidelined is difficult as injuries of this magnitude rarely have a good comparison, especially in the NBA. Initial associations to Paul George’s gruesome leg injury during the summer of 2014 are natural but the two injuries are drastically different. George’s injury was an open fracture of both the tibia and the fibula. Though a rod was eventually inserted to stabilize the fracture site, the break actually occurred in a favorable location. By breaking the bones near the mid-shaft, George was able to avoid extensive ligament and tendon damage.

However, it is unlikely Hayward was as fortunate. His break occurred at the distal end of the tibia, a site that serves as an anchor site for multiple ligaments. Furthermore, it is rare that a dislocation occurs without some level of ligament or soft tissue damage. Damage to the articular cartilage of the talus must also be considered.

Surgery to fix the area will likely involve surgical screws and a plate, not a rod. These implants help stabilize the injury site as the associated ligament damage heals. Any complex ligament injuries may need to be surgically addressed as well.

The closest comparable injury in the InStreetClothes.com NBA Injury Database occurred during the 2006-07 season when 76ers forward Shavlik Randolph suffered a broken and dislocated left ankle. The injury occurred in practice and wasn’t televised but the scene was reported as “gruesome.” Randolph underwent surgery later that day and missed the remaining 68 games of the season.

http://instreetclothes.com/2017/10/17/understanding-gordon-haywards-gruesome-ankle-injury/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Here is doctor's take : https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2017/10/17/injury-analysis-celtics-gordon-hayward-back-late-season/

Thanks

But want to hear from the doctor on site that has access to xrays etc already

Not these from a far guesses.   Even by doctors

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Co-worker just mentioned we'll know more at 4:30 during Steven's press conference. Fingers crossed it's somewhat good news.
Prayers out for Gordon and his family.