Author Topic: Predict the Eastern/Western Conference Playoff Teams  (Read 2656 times)

Re: Predict the Eastern/Western Conference Playoff Teams
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
East

Cleveland, Boston, Toronto, Washington, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Miami, Detroit

West

GSW, Spurs, Rockets, Thunder, Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets, Minnesota

Philly will turn the ball over a lot and struggle w/ outside shooting.  Not conducive to making the playoffs; I don't expect Embiid to play more than 55 games.

I've got the Clips out of the playoffs b/c of the inevitable Griffin / Gallo injury.
Charlotte over Philly I get, but with the Batum injury you still have them outpacing Detroit and Miami?

Maybe not Miami, but probably still ahead of Detroit.  Batum is only out 8-12 weeks.
I suppose.

If batum is back by mid december he still misses 20 games and Detroit should be much better this year. Last year that Reggie Jackson situation threw them all out of whack and AB is a big improvement over KCP and Drummond has looked better in preseason for whatever thats worth (basically nothing)
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
West
1 GS
2 San An
3 OKC
4 Hou
5 Min
6 Den
7 NO
8 Mem

East
1 Bos
2 Was
3 Cle
4 Tor
5 Mil
6 Cho
7 Phi
8 Mia

Man, if Cleveland was third and had to go through Washington without HCA before getting to us, that'd be pretty nice for us. Also like the Miami matchup, though I'm uncomfortable with the possibility of meeting the Bucks in the second round.
I just think Cleveland isn't going to have a very good regular season.  Thomas is out for months, Rose and Wade aren't a great fit and are old (though I like the Thomas and Wade potential pairing), and James will take many games off and already has an ankle injury.  I just don't see them getting much more than 50 wins.  I think they will get through the East playoffs relatively easily if Thomas, James, and Love are all basically healthy for the playoffs.  They just have too much talent to struggle with the Eastern teams in a best out of 7 scenario.

The Cavs only have one two way player, LeBron when he plays defense. That's going to be a real problem for them.
JR Smith and Jae Crowder can both play both sides of the ball rather well.

It is a little concerning that they have no guards who can defend the likes of Irving, Lowry, Wall, or even Dragic.
Love should do fine against most eastern centers on both ends as well (i.e. Love will be good enough defensively against Horford, Valanciunas, Gortat, etc.).  Thompson is limited offensively overall, but what he does offensively he does very well. 

But yeah the biggest weakness for the Cavs is defending opposing PG's, of course it isn't like the Celtics or Heat can effectively guard a healthy Thomas and I'm not so sure Toronto or Washington can either so I see that as basically a wash.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 05:20:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
West
1 GS
2 San An
3 OKC
4 Hou
5 Min
6 Den
7 NO
8 Mem

East
1 Bos
2 Was
3 Cle
4 Tor
5 Mil
6 Cho
7 Phi
8 Mia

Man, if Cleveland was third and had to go through Washington without HCA before getting to us, that'd be pretty nice for us. Also like the Miami matchup, though I'm uncomfortable with the possibility of meeting the Bucks in the second round.
I just think Cleveland isn't going to have a very good regular season.  Thomas is out for months, Rose and Wade aren't a great fit and are old (though I like the Thomas and Wade potential pairing), and James will take many games off and already has an ankle injury.  I just don't see them getting much more than 50 wins.  I think they will get through the East playoffs relatively easily if Thomas, James, and Love are all basically healthy for the playoffs.  They just have too much talent to struggle with the Eastern teams in a best out of 7 scenario.

The Cavs only have one two way player, LeBron when he plays defense. That's going to be a real problem for them.
JR Smith and Jae Crowder can both play both sides of the ball rather well.

It is a little concerning that they have no guards who can defend the likes of Irving, Lowry, Wall, or even Dragic.
Love should do fine against most eastern centers on both ends as well (i.e. Love will be good enough defensively against Horford, Valanciunas, Gortat, etc.).  Thompson is limited offensively overall, but what he does offensively he does very well. 

But yeah the biggest weakness for the Cavs is defending opposing PG's, of course it isn't like the Celtics or Heat can effectively guard a healthy Thomas and I'm not so sure Toronto or Washington can either so I see that as basically a wash.
Yes, but Wall, Beal, Brown, Smart, Rozier(eh maybe not actually), Lowry and Powell are all better point guard defenders than anyone Cleveland has save maybe JR Smith.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
The Clippers and the Heat are way underrated.  Portland, Memphis, Denver, N.O. and Minnesota are not distinctly better than L.A.C..  They should finish at least 6th with an outside shot of as high as 3rd with a break or 2.  The Heat were the best team in the east the 2nd half of the year last year (30-11) and lost no one of consequence.  They are very likely a top 5 defensive team overall and maybe finish best in the east.  They are 21-3 in the last 24 games with both Dragic and Waiters.  Olynyk will make them better.  They won't finish lower than 6th and could conceivably be a top 3 team record wise in the regular season in the eastern conference.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think this Cavs team is a 47 win caliber team minus IT.

If IT is slow to come back, I could see this Cleveland team finishing anywhere from 3rd to 5th in the East this season.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 10:23:01 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
With Hayward out, this team will be a #4 seed at best.

No veteran scoring wing.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
With Hayward out, this team will be a #4 seed at best.

No veteran scoring wing.
I think that's exactly what they are. 4 seed with 46 wins.

EDIT: 46 probably isn't enough to get the 4th seed, so 5th seed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:41:04 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Toronto
4. Washington
5. Milwaukee
6. Miami
7. Charlotte
8. Philadelphia

1. GSW
2. OKC
3. Spurs
4. Houston
5. Minnesota
6. LAC
7. Portland
8. Denver

Updated:
1. Toronto
2. Cleveland
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. Milwaukee
6. Miami
7. Charlotte
8. Detroit

1. GSW
2. Houston
3. Spurs
4. LAC
5. OKC
6. Minnesota
7. Portland
8. Memphis
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Milwaukee will turn heads witht the play of GA...what a beast he has become and will be in the MVP conversation..only Injury to GA will derail the bucks from a top 3 position in the East.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Toronto
4. Washington
5. Milwaukee
6. Miami
7. Charlotte
8. Philadelphia

1. GSW
2. OKC
3. Spurs
4. Houston
5. Minnesota
6. LAC
7. Portland
8. Denver

Updated:
1. Toronto
2. Cleveland
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. Milwaukee
6. Miami
7. Charlotte
8. Detroit

1. GSW
2. Houston
3. Spurs
4. LAC
5. OKC
6. Minnesota
7. Portland
8. Memphis

Are you really jumping on the Raptors train after they beat the Bulls and the Embiid-less Sixers? Lol

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 04:24:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Toronto
4. Washington
5. Milwaukee
6. Miami
7. Charlotte
8. Philadelphia

1. GSW
2. OKC
3. Spurs
4. Houston
5. Minnesota
6. LAC
7. Portland
8. Denver

Updated:
1. Toronto
2. Cleveland
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. Milwaukee
6. Miami
7. Charlotte
8. Detroit

1. GSW
2. Houston
3. Spurs
4. LAC
5. OKC
6. Minnesota
7. Portland
8. Memphis

Are you really jumping on the Raptors train after they beat the Bulls and the Embiid-less Sixers? Lol
He moved them from 3rd to 1st, which is fairly reasonable after the Hayward injury.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip