Author Topic: Silver: "change will come to One and Done age limit"  (Read 4760 times)

Silver: "change will come to One and Done age limit"
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

the days of prospects like Kobe and Lebron entering the NBA straight from high school may return
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:09:53 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Silver: "change will come to One and Done age limit"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

Not clear if it'll be lowered or increased. Yahoo speculates the days of prospects like Kobe and Lebron entering the NBA straight from high school may return
Gotta think its the opposite. Owners don't want to be paying teenagers millions to develop their talents. They would rather have them develop their skills for free in college. I think they bump up the age limit by at least one year.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:22:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Not clear if it'll be lowered or increased. Yahoo speculates the days of prospects like Kobe and Lebron entering the NBA straight from high school may return
Gotta think its the opposite. Owners don't want to be paying teenagers millions to develop their talents. They would rather have them develop their skills for free in college. I think they bump up the age limit by at least one year.

I agree

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Yeah but the players union wants to lower the age limit to 18. The CBA  isn't decided by only the owners. Its an agreement by the NBA Owners and NBA Players Union. Increasing the age limit doesn't help the whole corrupt college situation. Lowering it to 18 does though

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hopefully this means the end of the one and done rule, that rule is a farce.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:45:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah but the players union wants to lower the age limit to 18. The CBA  isn't decided by only the owners. Its an agreement by the NBA Owners and NBA Players Union. Increasing the age limit doesn't help the whole corrupt college situation. Lowering it to 18 does though

What concession is the NBAPA going to make to get the owners to agree? And, since the membership is made up of current players - rather than high schoolers - why would they give up something of value to help out non-members?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
With the two way player contracts I see no reason to still have a one and done rule. That rule is not needed anymore. Make guys who are under 19 only able to sign two way deals and it solves the issue for owners and college cheating. Train them up in g league.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The NBA owners don't care about the corrupt college system. They benefit from it. One and dones take years to develop. The owners want it to happen on someone else's time.   

So yes, the Player's Union might want to do away with the rule but in the next CBA the owners will probably hold this over the players head to make them agree to get something else that will benefit vet players,

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
They should do what a hybrid of baseball with the option of going oversees. A player can either enter the draft after a year of playing oversees or do at least three years in college. The game will have much more mature and developed players entering the NBA with a better polished game that translates relatively quickly to the NBA arena.

If the kid does not want to go to college for three years, the oversees option may be an alternative. Not sure how the logistics of all that works but I do think the one and done system is fading out.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Have to agree, I remember an NBA analyst talking to Zach Lowe some time ago and he was saying that the owners have wanted the age limit increased since the one and done rule was in place because they kept stuffing up their picks on young unproven talent, they essentially want guaranteed top level talent in the lottery range without any real risk.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Eliminate the age thing altogether. 15 year old good enough? Throw him out there. or get an even more legit minor league going.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 10:29:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Have to agree, I remember an NBA analyst talking to Zach Lowe some time ago and he was saying that the owners have wanted the age limit increased since the one and done rule was in place because they kept stuffing up their picks on young unproven talent, they essentially want guaranteed top level talent in the lottery range without any real risk.
hard to see the players union allowing the age limit to increase. That's another 1-3 years eliminated from a career in salary for no reason.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Once every NBA team has its own affiliate (almost there), they could easily expand the G-League to be more competitive with the best young prospects and give another slight increase in pay. They could also make it so that the players don't begin their rookie contracts until they've amassed enough time in the big leagues.

I am not sure why teams wouldn't want to develop their own players rather than having them develop overseas. It would also benefit teams to have the best players skip college altogether and begin development right away in their own system.

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 11:05:55 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
They should do what a hybrid of baseball with the option of going oversees. A player can either enter the draft after a year of playing oversees or do at least three years in college. The game will have much more mature and developed players entering the NBA with a better polished game that translates relatively quickly to the NBA arena.

If the kid does not want to go to college for three years, the oversees option may be an alternative. Not sure how the logistics of all that works but I do think the one and done system is fading out.

I think they do baseball but no need for overseas.  You either go straight to the pros or you stay in college For at least three years.  Guys shouldn't feel forced to play in college when they have no intention of ever being a student.

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This thread is filled with people who didn't listen to the interview?

The one and done is going away.  The age limit is not being increased.  And no, the NBA Union will not have to fight for it, as pointed out they have no real reason to.  The NBA and the Owners will be pushing for this rule to go away.

You guys think scouting highschool prospects is a cost Billionaire owners are worried about? Nah, maybe 15 years ago. There is a massive built in network of highschool scouts ranking these prospects on a national level that actually works pretty well, the internet and networking has come a long way in 15 years.

Want to know what worries the NBA and Owners even more then paying a couple scouts?

It's these colleges, getting their hands on top level talent, implanting their people around them, before the NBA and these teams get them.

The NBA wants their hands on these Blue Chippers before the NCAA can dig their talons into them.