Author Topic: Shams: Smart & Celtics will not agree to deal by deadline tonight (luxury tax)  (Read 9928 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/919976135353688064
According to a league source, barring a sudden change, Marcus Smart & the Celtics will not agree to an extension prior to tonight's deadline

Shams: For Boston, hurdle in closing gap with Smart extension talks was luxury tax implication, league sources said. Now risk losing Smart in July’s RFA.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:01:09 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The team probably wants a discount against what Marcus MIGHT become while Marcus probably wants to paid what he thinks he MIGHT become.  So makes sense to wait I suppose.

I'm fine with it.  Let's see the proof Marcus.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I wonder if the next big free agency class is something danny is eying. Maybe he thinks at worst he lets him walk to make room for a star next free agency.  A free agent like dare I say avery Bradley is available lol

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I wonder if the next big free agency class is something danny is eying. Maybe he thinks at worst he lets him walk to make room for a star next free agency.  A free agent like dare I say avery Bradley is available lol
That's not it. Smart or no Smart we won't have cap room next year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I dont think smart will be a celtic after this season :(

Danny will need to the same thing he did to replace Crowder with Semi

And find another younger cheaper smart.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I wonder if offers have been made and they just far apart and if so how far apart.

Curious to see what each side thinks the value is there.
ok fine

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If Smart has a decent season, there will be at least one team out there (BKLN, Mavs, PHIL?) that will pay him more than we will be willing to match. We have to pay Kyrie max deal a year later, so there just won't be enough bread to pay Smart what at least one team will offer him. Too bad.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wonder if offers have been made and they just far apart and if so how far apart.

Curious to see what each side thinks the value is there.

Its all Denvers fault

I bet Miami trades Dragic by the trade deadline and signs Smart next offseason =(

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If Smart has a decent season, there will be at least one team out there (BKLN, Mavs, PHIL?) that will pay him more than we will be willing to match. We have to pay Kyrie max deal a year later, so there just won't be enough bread to pay Smart what at least one team will offer him. Too bad.

I'm afraid of this too. Someone convince me we would pay Marcus anyway, please!
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
I wonder how far off they are.

While I would love to lock up Smart long-term right now, it'll be pretty nice to have contract year Smart all year long. If a deal doesn't get done, I expect a major chip on Smart's shoulder all year long, which should translate to a stellar year.

I do question how smart it is for him, though, especially given his aggressive style of play that could force an injury and cost him millions.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This isn't really a big deal. The Celts probably offered a team-friendly contract, while Smart probably asked for market value for the player he projects to be.

Outside of max contracts, the majority of guys don't sign extensions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
This isn't really a big deal. The Celts probably offered a team-friendly contract, while Smart probably asked for market value for the player he projects to be.

Yeah, I think they'll negotiate in the offseason.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree. No big deal. Its better to let Smart and the market determine his value. If he is still shooting poorly this year, you wouldn't want to overpay him now for what he thinks he might become just because he got himself in shape.

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Brooklyn will definitely not have cap space for like the next 3 years. If anything, look for them to take another big contract for a young player/draft asset like they did with DeAngelo Russell.
Dallas would probably not want to pursue Marcus, considering their bargain guards (curry and dennis smith). Likely to pursue a wing or big (nerlens noel).
Philly would rather save their money for Robert Covington.

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is probably not terrible news for us, Marcus will be extra-motivated this season and the league-wide cap situation is shaping up to be a major buyers' market this offseason.