Poll

If you were in Marcus Smart's shoes what would you do regarding a contract offer?

Anything north of $12 million/year I'd sign..... a career ending injury could be catastrophic
10 (47.6%)
I'd wait, I could possibly make $5-15 million/year more that if I have a good year.
9 (42.9%)
I'd sit out the season and hang with Larry Sanders
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 18, 2017, 12:27:39 PM

Author Topic: If you were Smart...would you sign or wait?  (Read 1134 times)

If you were Smart...would you sign or wait?
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
When it comes to these sorts of contract decisions I often think back to Nomar Garciaparra's decision to turn down the Red Sox's $60 million contract offer. He was hoping to get a contract like Derek Jeter (10 years $189 million). He ended up getting hurt, then traded. Never made close to that amount afterwards.

If I were Marcus I would take the money. Sure, he might make more money if he waits. Then again, if he gets hurt that's a whole lot of cash down the drain. Keep in mind he's been hurt each year he's been here. Fortunately, he keeps bouncing back. 

Another example might be Isaiah's injury situation...although, that's not quite the same as we don't know if he'll make a complete recovery. 

Re: If you were Smart...would you sign or wait?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I wouldn’t sign for less than $15 million per year.  The less I sign for, the more likely Danny trades me for Anthony Davis.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If I'm Smart and I truly believe that my shooting will be improved this year, then I probably wait it out.  I mean, it depends on what Danny's willing to offer, but I doubt he'd offer enough without solid proof that Smart has improved
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Himmelsbach is reporting that there will be no deal barring a last-minute change (which is the outcome I’ve expected since the Gary Harris signing).

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 01:23:17 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
$16.5M and $74M for 4 years same as Gary Harris (who has $10M in unlikely bonuses which Danny can throw in too). Harris is a much better shooter, but Smart is a much better player otherwise, especially on defense.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Himmelsbach is reporting that there will be no deal barring a last-minute change (which is the outcome I’ve expected since the Gary Harris signing).

[Expletive]

Here's hoping we match whatever he's offered. Even the max, if he improves so much he gets a max offer. Here's hoping it's just in the 17-20 range.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
$16.5M and $74M for 4 years same as Gary Harris (who has $10M in unlikely bonuses which Danny can throw in too). Harris is a much better shooter, but Smart is a much better player otherwise, especially on defense.

I agree. I think Smart can yield over 20m per year. He should wait. Danny should try to sign him now. If he goes to FA and gets top dollar, cya bud. I still think that he can become a very good NBA player, but I don't want to pay him until he shows it. I would feel the same way if I were a Twolves fan too- I wouldn't want to pay Wiggins until he proves he can play defense.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
When it comes to these sorts of contract decisions I often think back to Nomar Garciaparra's decision to turn down the Red Sox's $60 million contract offer. He was hoping to get a contract like Derek Jeter (10 years $189 million). He ended up getting hurt, then traded. Never made close to that amount afterwards.

If I were Marcus I would take the money. Sure, he might make more money if he waits. Then again, if he gets hurt that's a whole lot of cash down the drain. Keep in mind he's been hurt each year he's been here. Fortunately, he keeps bouncing back. 

Another example might be Isaiah's injury situation...although, that's not quite the same as we don't know if he'll make a complete recovery.
Sander would be the way to go for me
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd wait for 16 per 4 years. Or 18 per 3 years

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I find it hard to believe that Ainge will end up paying Smart what he can probably earn elsewhere.  He just cleaned house by cashing in his defensive-minded, high character guys for more talent.  Smart falls in the former camp. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC