Author Topic: Brown is the best player from the 2016 draft  (Read 6032 times)

Brown is the best player from the 2016 draft
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:41:32 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Simmons is highly overrated. Outside of his flashy passes, he has virtually no game. His defense is atrocious. Terry Rozier was defending this guy successfully in the low post. Simmons right now CANNOT shoot. Teams play off him and totally stack the paint, and this will happen with Embiid in the lineup.There is no spacing right now with the Sixers. Their #1 picks have a lot to improve on.
Ben Simmons ain't no Lebron James. I still remember James' first game in the NBA where he dropped I think 23 and I remember saying "he is really good".Simmons right now his free throw shot is trash, and anything other than him finishing with his right hand at the rim is pretty horrible. How do you work out and train and put 100s of videos on instagram and dedicate your life to this trade and be a #1 pick but still not be able to shoot a free throw? Its amazing.

Ingram is another highly overrated player (outside of many laker fans coming to terms with his lackluster ability). Ingram cannot shoot. Period. His efficiency is terrible. He has no ability to get inside whatsoever (nor did he in college. Coming out of Duke Ingram had the same FG% at the Rim as 5'9'' Kentucky pg Tyler Ulis & it was something like 37% & that speaks Volums b/c its a Bad sign that u cant finish against college kids). The whole "he's still young" doesn't work because he has shown zero improvement from last year. He didn't develop. He still chucks a lot of jumpshot and seems a little step lost. Ingram repeatedly fail to beat Joe Ingles in preseason off the dribble, and even with a high ball screen

Brogdon is ok but got more minutes than jaylen but didn't produce significantly better than jaylen did.

No one else in the draft looked like a worthy player. Buddy hield seems sort of like a chucker but I don't know much else about him, he is a bit intriguing, and Jamal murray is an average player
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:50:29 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Brown is the best player from the 2016 draft
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:08:42 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Too early to tell imo but when all is said and done...Brown will be in the top 4 of his class...a very thin group though as I can easily see the class of 2017 completely obliterating last yr's selection by a mile.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:16:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This class isn't that good...I think Brown will be at least top 3 when it's all said and done, only think that Ingram and Murray have the potential to be better than him and both are longshots.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:26:38 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
TP i share your views on foul shooting it is so critical down the stretch and so disruptive to a teams game plan in 4th quarter. Add the inability to hit from outside.
I watched a breakdown of how and why scouts missed on Jaylen-it showed tape of his elite handles as well as shooting at high school level .His freshman season similar to Myles Turners second year influenced scouts as it was not standout.
There was tape of tournament games with Jaylen vs Simmons-with JAYLEN walking away with trophy.
Jaylen is still 20 with playoff experience and a big game against Lebron during rookie regular season..
There is a different kind of willingness to Tatum, as he is now being praised for how quickly he picks up defense .This is the advantage of playing with Marcus,Rozier and Jaylen
NO EXCUSES_LIKE I'M TOO YOUNG

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:28:01 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Right now, Simmons and Brogdon are probably both better.

Brogdon is like 25 tho, so you take Brown over him all day. Hield might be a little better today as well.

Ingram and Simmons are both probably still better prospects the Ingram-Jaylen gap is way tighter than it was a year ago. Hopefully Brown leapfrogs Ingram this year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
No great player looks to have come out of the 2016 draft. A lot of talented but flawed played and Brown could easily end up #1 or #2 out of this draft.

Be careful with Brogdon. He will turn 25 in Dec and has looked awful this preseason.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 08:25:39 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
The problem with Simmons is inevitably the problem we had with rondo. If your pg can't shoot you can play off him and deny lane entry and he's basically stuck. I was wondering how long it would  teams to figure it out but even in preseason he was f'ed. He's Rajon rondo at best. A young rondo is worth a top 10 lotto pick. He doesn't have the upside of brown. That said this post is way too early. Ingram can shoot. He's shot 40% from 3 in college. Simmons actually shot better than brown 33 vs 29. Brown has shown the most improvement out of the 3, which one could linearly conclude that he will end up the best. The Celtics have done an amazing job with Brown. The Sixers are the worst franchise for player development so unless you're a natural "hall of farmer" like Embiid, you're not going anywhere.

You're also forgetting Buddy Hield but it's not a fair comparison considering he's already in his mid 20s.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Too early to tell. Could be an All NBA caliber guy soon enough when he starts being more aggressive.
I think Jaylen could be the best player from this class. I think Buddy Hield could be too.

Time will tell.
One thing's for sure, it's way too early for hot takes like this ;)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Remember that Ingram is nearly a full year younger than Jaylen, and thus has more potential for growth.  Bender is even younger than Ingram.  As raw as so many of the top picks were last year, one season is far too early to make such a call.  That said, I love Jaylen, expect him to be an even bigger contributor this year than last, and am really excited about his future.  I’ll be very surprised if he’s not a top 5 player from his class when all is said and done.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:19:06 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Remember that Ingram is nearly a full year younger than Jaylen, and thus has more potential for growth.  Bender is even younger than Ingram.  As raw as so many of the top picks were last year, one season is far too early to make such a call.  That said, I love Jaylen, expect him to be an even bigger contributor this year than last, and am really excited about his future.  I’ll be very surprised if he’s not a top 5 player from his class when all is said and done.
Agree with all of this.  Way too early to tell who's going to be the best in the draft.  It's way to early to say that Brown will be awesome and way too early to say that guys like Simmons and Ingram aren't very good.  I'm happy with Jaylen and if he turns out to be the 3rd best in the draft Ainge did well for himself.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

This is why I am (sometimes) in favor of taking the older college player instead of the young freshman. Sometimes the older player has just already shown the improvement that you can only hope the younger player eventually will.

Sometimes the potential is worth the difference, but not always. Sometimes young guys don't fully develop. And when they don't, it seems weird how you knowingly took the inferior player on a prayer that he would become the superior player.

Somewhat ironically, I was using this reasoning for Buddy Hield at the time, not Brown.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Brown defends better and takes it to the rack better. The reason I think he will be the best is his work ethic, brains and His coach will teach him right too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
At this point my bet would be on Jamal Murray.

Could see him turning into a 20 ppg combo guard with elite shooting.

Might be enough to be the most valuable in that draft class.

I feel good about Brown becoming a 15 point, 5 reb, 2-3 ast, 1 blk, 1 stl type guy.  A really nice two way player with a little bit of playmaking thrown in.  Closest comp -- Andre Iguodala in Denver.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I feel good about Brown becoming a 15 point, 5 reb, 2-3 ast, 1 blk, 1 stl type guy.

I feel that could be him this season. He's gonna start all year.

I think he would be a valid #1 in a redraft. Ingram is still lanky, raw, and discombobulated. Simmons is basically bad at everything except passing. No other prospect proved himself useful in the playoffs like Jaylen did. He's a leader, a worker, a thinker. Versatile offense and potentially elite defense. I would totally take him first in a redraft.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 11:16:32 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Too early to tell imo but when all is said and done...Brown will be in the top 4 of his class...a very thin group though as I can easily see the class of 2017 completely obliterating last yr's selection by a mile.

I think I saw somewhere yesterday that Fultz is going to be benched because of his work ethics? I'll probably need to find it, but it does seem like Tatum is also the right pick as well