Author Topic: Jayson Tatum is very very good at team defense  (Read 6180 times)

Jayson Tatum is very very good at team defense
« on: October 16, 2017, 01:47:08 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
https://youtu.be/a_DkqCtVDR4

This YouTube video talks about Tatums two way potential.  I was particularly impressed by the footage in the second half of the video where he goes into Tatums precocious defensive smarts.

How good can Tatum be on defense?

Also, is playing the four going to slow down his development guarding on the perimeter?

Re: Jayson Tatum is very very good at team defense
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:05:43 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
He’s not that good at defense. He’s just not completely lost like a lot of rookies are, which is a big plus. But as far as being “very, very good at team defense” is just wrong. He’s solid at team defense for a rookie.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:05:13 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
He’s not that good at defense. He’s just not completely lost like a lot of rookies are, which is a big plus. But as far as being “very, very good at team defense” is just wrong. He’s solid at team defense for a rookie.

He has his opinion. You have yours. But until we see actual stats on how well Tatum is performing on individual and team defense both are meaningless.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
What? I watched all preseason games and he basically got torched in all plays. He looked like James harden. The opposing team was making it a habit of going at him... because he's a rookie playing against starters.

It's one thing to overhype our players but this is just disgustingly inaccurate. He's a rookie. His defense will suck for a while. Potential, we'll see.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:12:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you only consider highlights, you can turn anybody into a very good defender.  I think Tatum has some good instincts but he's got a long way to go before he's good at NBA defense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
If you only consider highlights, you can turn anybody into a very good defender.  I think Tatum has some good instincts but he's got a long way to go before he's good at NBA defense.

This. Tatum is another case of a young player having a few of the tools you need to be good at defense. In my opinion he is still a ways away. He will be the worst defender of our starting 5, and with Kyrie out there, that's saying something.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Thanks for the link, that was a pretty thorough look at his play so far. 

Very, Very good seems a stretch, but I'm optimistic that he's going to have a solid rookie season. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He looks to me like a future two-way player, although it's easy to overstate how good he is right now: rookies are almost always below average on D, and Tatum will be no exception.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Especially since even in the highlights he was getting taken off the dribble 1v1, not being able to navigate screens effectively. They would have open looks and miss the shot and consider that "good defense" because the guy missed.

He looked better in Summer league, but the 3rd overall pick should look good in summer league against 2nd rounders of relatively same age.

He has to develop better lateral movement to get in front of the player like Smart does to be considered a very, very good defender. Getting blown by and relying on help defense / relying on the player to miss the shot is not good defense. He still a long way to go.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think he's got a lot of work to do on man to man defense. However, because he's long, he'll learn real quick and no better time to throw him in the fire against the Cavs. Don't coddle him like these other teams, let him get comfortable and by Xmas he'll be much improved. He's a excellent rebounder though.

He'll be fine

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 10:05:38 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

He has his opinion. You have yours. But until we see actual stats on how well Tatum is performing on individual and team defense both are meaningless.
Again, it’s been established you don’t watch the games. So no, we don’t need to wait for advanced stats to come out to tell us who is a good defender or not. Because some of us here actually watch the games and know basketball. You just don’t.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 02:03:46 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Biggest candidate for ROY. I know Ball will have better stats, but generally, on a tanking team, just as Lakers are, I disagree to choose a player for ROY. It's a different level of responsibility in play of a strong team (I won't say contender) as Celtics and some tanking-mode team. It's just not fair.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 07:00:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Tatum gets no respect for the refs on D, that is to be expected.   But he has enough athletic ability to do his rotations and move around.   Some of our previous guys had to rely a lot on anticipation to defend.  Tatum has some of that and some athletic ability.   I like the fact that the team is becoming more athletic across the board.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He's been pretty active on the defensive end so far. For a guy that was supposed to be all scoring, I've been very impressed with him defense. In 2 years, when he's filled out and more capable of holding his ground, he'll be even better.

All encouraging signs for me, so far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:13 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
The video that was linked to above nailed it. He does a lot of the little things very well on defense -- knowing when to switch/help/recover, going after defensive rebounds, staying in front, not biting on pump fakes, etc. Of course he's got a learning curve, but it's amazing how mature he looks on the defensive end. And of course, just being intelligent and fairly athletic with super long arms can get you really far as a defender in the NBA.

I felt like Avery Bradley was an excellent on-ball defender, but wasn't a great team defender (in part because he was a 6'2" shooting guard). Tatum can be the exact opposite: Not at all sexy, but exactly the kind of switch-everything, team defender that you need given the way the game's played nowadays.

Your eyes aren't fooling you: this kid is legit.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com