Author Topic: Report: Kaepernick files grievance for collusion against NFL  (Read 4068 times)

Re: Report: Kaepernick files grievance for collusion against NFL
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 08:30:02 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
TPs to chicagoceltic and Ilikesports.

I agree that if Kaepernick was just an ordinary dude he would probably be a 3rd stringer somewhere, but teams have likely [individually] decided that it is not worth the distraction or fan outrage. I think some people are greatly overvaluing his current talent level.

I understand what he is doing and more power to him for bringing an issue to the forefront he thought deserved attention, but there are sometimes consequences for protests. The fact is, if Kap really was a generational talent, then he would be signed; even Michael Vick was given another opportunity.

Excellent point. Basically if you have talent, some team will take a shot on you. I mean look at Greg Hardy. That dude literally threw a woman half his size into a tub. LITERALLY threw her. And the Cowgirls gave him a shot.
#JKJB

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
TPs to chicagoceltic and Ilikesports.

I agree that if Kaepernick was just an ordinary dude he would probably be a 3rd stringer somewhere, but teams have likely [individually] decided that it is not worth the distraction or fan outrage. I think some people are greatly overvaluing his current talent level.

I understand what he is doing and more power to him for bringing an issue to the forefront he thought deserved attention, but there are sometimes consequences for protests. The fact is, if Kap really was a generational talent, then he would be signed; even Michael Vick was given another opportunity.

I think he's better than a third stringer, but I agree he's not worth signing. Teams aren't going to anger a vocal 15% of their base or so (and a less vocal 35% - 45%) for a guy who probably won't impact wins much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Kap opted out of his contract. What a joke. Publicity stunt for the for-profit racism industry

I originally thought that too but if you've noticed he hasn't done a single interview this whole period. Usually if you are out for money you would be doing the media circuit, I have also heard that Kap gives a lot to charities and works within poor communities.

Like someone earlier stated, collusion is very hard to prove but it is quite obvious that the NFL owners (and most likely Goodell) have made a pact not to sign Kaepernick because of his polarising protests. Multiple less qualified QB's have been signed and traded for and Kaepernick hasn't even been asked to any training camps or workouts. When Colts knew Luck would be out for the first several weeks of the season and would rather put in their abysmal back ups and then trade for Pats third string QB Brissett...I personally knew the fix was in.

Kaepernick not being asked to workout for teams is simply not true. Seattle and Baltimore both worked him out this past off season. If reports are true, Baltimore was on the verge of signing him until Kaepernick's idiot girlfriend blasted Baltimore's owner and best franchise player in a racist tweet.

Let's also not forget that Miami was no longer an option after Kaepernick wore a Fidel Castro t-shirt during a news conference to discuss the oppression of African Americans. When a reporter questioned him about Castro, he ended up praising the man.

To top it all, he is the face of the movement to kneel during the national anthem, which the NFL is desperately trying to get rid of. He would be too much of a distraction for any locker room, especially when it came to reporters. Can you imagine being a teammate who has put in all the work during the offseason and this season, and they suddenly go from answering football game related questions to Kaepernick questions every week?

Also, one of his biggest drawbacks as a quarterback, was the fact that he had zero touch on his passes. He would either run with the ball or throw it 100 mph, whether his receiver was 5 or 50 yards away.

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Kap opted out of his contract. What a joke. Publicity stunt for the for-profit racism industry

It takes an impressive level of commitment to see a guy lose probably 7 figures of salary due to his political actions and still conclude it's all just being done for profit.

I don't know enough about employment law or the NFL CBA to know the likelihood of his case succeeding, but I'm guessing some interesting stuff will come up during discovery regardless.

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:06 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He almost certainly got collectively railroaded by the NFL owners.  I just don't think it can actually be proven.

He should have a job in the NFL as a backup somewhere.    Some of the guys that actually do have jobs right now kinda proves that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think there was collusion at all.  I just think by and large the owners all reached the same conclusion that signing Kaep just wasn't worth the headache from a business standpoint.  The Ravens, for example, seriously considered signing him during the preseason when Flacco was out, but even when that story broke, they got a lot of mail on both sides and determined that Kaep just wasn't worth the headache as a backup (since they figured Flacco would be back for Game 1 and he was).  Now maybe if Flacco was going to be out for the first few weeks, the Ravens might have signed him because Kaep is most likely better than Mallet.  At the end of the day though, the NFL is a business and the owners are always looking out for their own bottom line and Kaep just isn't good for business right now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
So all of the teams deciding to pass on a headcase for their Quarterback (leader) = collusion?

It's so much easier to be the victim isn't it?

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
He almost certainly got collectively railroaded by the NFL owners.  I just don't think it can actually be proven.

He should have a job in the NFL as a backup somewhere.    Some of the guys that actually do have jobs right now kinda proves that.

The biggest difference between Kaepernick and QB's currently on NFL rosters, is that those QB's make the team the priority and are willing to contribute in whatever way they can. Kaepernick wants to be an activist first, and then be a QB to bring his brand into the spotlight.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Like others have said, I think his talent level is high enough that his not being on an NFL roster is conspicuous but not enough to make me think it definitely outweighs the media headache he brings with him. If he was better, I would be more likely to believe collusion.

As usual with this kind of thing, if he had been left alone (by politicians and the league) he'd just be some third-string QB kneeling during the anthem and there would be no story and maybe no one else even joining him. But the reaction to the protest has kind of validity of the need for the protest, to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008