Poll

Who will be our 3rd leading scorer?

Al Horford
Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum
Terry Rozier
Marcus Morris

Author Topic: Who will be our 3rd leading scorer?  (Read 8170 times)

Re: Who will be our 3rd leading scorer?
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think it's a given that Gordon Hayward will be this team's second leading scorer.
I kind of thought it was consensus that Kyrie was going to lead the team in scoring, actually.
You thought I suggested Hayward will score more than Irving? LOL.
Sorry, I read that wrong. My bad.
Just to clarify, I think there's no doubt Irving will be our leading scorer. But I see a fairly realistic  scenario in which Hayward averages a quiet 17 ppg in a virtual tie with one or two other players. That's perhaps not necessarily likely, but won't be out of the ordinary, I think.

No chance.  Hayward is a stud and he took a leap of faith to join us AND his former college coach is our head coach. There is no world in which Gordon Hayward doesnt get the ball enough to score at least 18-20 ppg, and there is no world in which anyone besides hayward and irving are averaging more than 18 ppg this season (without injury to one of them).

Hayward COULD average 25 and Irving 22 though.  Hayward being our 1st leading scorer is WAYYYY more likely than him being our third leading scorer.  You've let the preseason cloud your view.
There absolutely IS a way. From what I've seen from Hayward, he can be pretty happy sitting in a corner and not asserting himself for long stretches. It's just that in Utah it was kind of hard to lose points to Rodney Hood and co.

Hayward may or may not be a stud, but his PPG hovered around 20 on a team that wasn't particularly top-heavy. So I can tell you right now that averaging 25 is not going to happen for him. If preseason is any indication, though, regressing back closer to 16 might.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think it's a given that Gordon Hayward will be this team's second leading scorer.
I kind of thought it was consensus that Kyrie was going to lead the team in scoring, actually.
Just to clarify, I think there's no doubt Irving will be our leading scorer. But I see a fairly realistic  scenario in which Hayward averages a quiet 17 ppg in a virtual tie with one or two other players. That's perhaps not necessarily likely, but won't be out of the ordinary, I think.

No chance.  Hayward is a stud and he took a leap of faith to join us AND his former college coach is our head coach. There is no world in which Gordon Hayward doesnt get the ball enough to score at least 18-20 ppg, and there is no world in which anyone besides hayward and irving are averaging more than 18 ppg this season (without injury to one of them).

Hayward COULD average 25 and Irving 22 though.  Hayward being our 1st leading scorer is WAYYYY more likely than him being our third leading scorer.  You've let the preseason cloud your view.
There absolutely IS a way. From what I've seen from Hayward, he can be pretty happy sitting in a corner and not asserting himself for long stretches. It's just that in Utah it was kind of hard to lose points to Rodney Hood and co.

Hayward may or may not be a stud, but his PPG hovered around 20 on a team that wasn't particularly top-heavy. So I can tell you right now that averaging 25 is not going to happen for him. If preseason is any indication, though, regressing back closer to 16 might.
have to agree.  I would expect Hayward's PPG to be 18-19 a night rather than over 20.  KI will be the leading scorer by a good 5-7 PPG.  that's not to say Hayward won't have nights where he leads the team or has 30+ points.

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Scoring prediction

Irving 27 ppg
Hayward 20 ppg
Horford 12 ppg
Smart 12 ppg
Morris 10 ppg
Brown 9 ppg
Tatum 9 ppg
Rozier 6 ppg
Baynes 4 ppg
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2017, 12:31:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Hayward averaged 21.9 a game last year on the slowest paced team in the league.  He did that shooting 15.8 shots a game (1.386 pps).   Hill was at 16.9 (on 12.4 shots) and Gobert was at 14 (on just 7.7 shots).  Hood has 11.3 shots a game but averaged just 12.7. 

Every single season in the league, Hayward was improved both his shots per game and his points per game.  EVERY SINGLE SEASON.  Obviously at some point both of those will regress, but I'm not sure this is the year as he is now on a team that plays significantly faster paced.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Hayward averaged 21.9 a game last year on the slowest paced team in the league.  He did that shooting 15.8 shots a game (1.386 pps).   Hill was at 16.9 (on 12.4 shots) and Gobert was at 14 (on just 7.7 shots).  Hood has 11.3 shots a game but averaged just 12.7. 

Every single season in the league, Hayward was improved both his shots per game and his points per game.  EVERY SINGLE SEASON.  Obviously at some point both of those will regress, but I'm not sure this is the year as he is now on a team that plays significantly faster paced.
Not sure what to make out of this post , except to point out that outside of Hayward, the two best scorers on that Jazz team were Rodney Hood(!) and George freaking Hill(!!). I'm afraid that people who think Hayward can come to play alongside Irving and Horford and average 25 (or even 20) ppg without skipping a beat are up for a rude awakening -- pace or no pace.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:46:34 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
i wonder if this poll changes any after tonights contest.

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Horford

Irving, hayward, horford then the rest

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
i wonder if this poll changes any after tonights contest.
Yes,  I will stop back after Hayward scores 11 points on 3-9 shooting :P

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Not sure what to make out of this post , except to poing out that outside of Hayward, the two best scorers on that Jazz team were Rodney Hood(!) and George freaking Hill(!!). I'm afraid that people who think Hayward can come to play alongside Irving and Horford and average 25 (or even 20) ppg without skipping a beat are up for a rude awakening -- pace or no pace.
Bradley had 14.1 shots a game last year.  If Hayward got that at a similar percentage as last year, he would score 19.54 ppg.  I can't see how Hayward doesn't get at least 14 shots a game on the team with the system.  He might not score quite effectively but there is no way he isn't at least second on the team in shots or points.

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Not sure what to make out of this post , except to poing out that outside of Hayward, the two best scorers on that Jazz team were Rodney Hood(!) and George freaking Hill(!!). I'm afraid that people who think Hayward can come to play alongside Irving and Horford and average 25 (or even 20) ppg without skipping a beat are up for a rude awakening -- pace or no pace.
Bradley had 14.1 shots a game last year.  If Hayward got that at a similar percentage as last year, he would score 19.54 ppg.  I can't see how Hayward doesn't get at least 14 shots a game on the team with the system.  He might not score quite effectively but there is no way he isn't at least second on the team in shots or points.
was just going to mention Bradley.

the Koz Hayward hate has led to Koz heavily implying that Avery Bradley is a superior offensive player.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yes, and if he can't replicate his efficiency from last year, and is more like the year before instead, he'll score more like 18.5. And that's purely a mathematical projection assuming he's completely unaffected by playing with Kyrie Irving and his 30% usage rate. So I see 18-19 ppg as a realistic scenario, and 20-25 as something that is probably not happening.

It's also worth pointing out that on a per-36 basis, Hayward averaged 14 pts (on 14.5 shots) in preseason play, and Horford 17. But then again, Smart averaged 20+, so there's that :P

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2017, 04:43:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Yes, and if he can't replicate his efficiency from last year, and is more like the year before instead, he'll score more like 18.5. And that's purely a mathematical projection assuming he's completely unaffected by playing with Kyrie Irving and his 30% usage rate. So I see 18-19 ppg as a realistic scenario, and 20-25 as something that is probably not happening.

It's also worth pointing out that on a per-36 basis, Hayward averaged 14 pts (on 14.5 shots) in preseason play, and Horford 17. But then again, Smart averaged 20+, so there's that :P
So realistically you think someone else is scoring more than 18 or 19 ppg on this Boston team or else Hayward is pretty clearly the 2nd leading scorer.  I find it hard to believe you think someone else is averaging that much so you have basically been trolling this entire thread.

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
the Koz Hayward hate has led to Koz heavily implying that Avery Bradley is a superior offensive player.
So are you comfortable with the way Hayward has played so far?

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

So realistically you think someone else is scoring more than 18 or 19 ppg on this Boston team or else Hayward is pretty clearly the 2nd leading scorer.  I find it hard to believe you think someone else is averaging that much so you have basically been trolling this entire thread.
All I said is that Hayward is not a given. I can easily see both Hayward and Horford scoring 16 apiece. Is it the most likely outcome? Probably not. But is it a long shot? Absolutely not.

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So are you comfortable with the way Hayward has played so far?
0 games into the season?

absolutely.

are you comfortable saying Avery Bradley is better as a scorer?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.