Poll

Who will be our 3rd leading scorer?

Al Horford
Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum
Terry Rozier
Marcus Morris

Author Topic: Who will be our 3rd leading scorer?  (Read 8208 times)

Re: Who will be our 3rd leading scorer?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 01:30:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't think it's a given that Gordon Hayward will be this team's second leading scorer.
Lol forgot how much you irrationally hate Gordon Hayward
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think it's a given that Gordon Hayward will be this team's second leading scorer.
yeah he might be 1st
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Any answer other than Horford from your list means we have changed something offensively thats not for the better in all likelihood.  The other possibilities include a Horford injury which will knock us down under 40 wins. Point is that we have to establish Horford so our inside out game will work, otherwise Kyrie and Hayward get mostly nothing but contested jumpers from outside.

There is also a possibility of Hayward  being our 3rd with Horford 2nd.

I will concede Kyrie as our leading scorer.
Why does big Al not being #3 mean we've chaged something substantially? Last year he edged out Crowder(a pretty mediocre scorer himself) by just .1 ppg.
I think most would agree that our offense runs most efficiently when run through AL Horford.  This puts him in a position to get 15+ shots per game. He will get those shots and make a high percentage of them this year as well. He may even get more because of Hayward presence spreading the floor much better than Crowders.

Is there any indication we are changing our offensive approach away from using Horford as one of the most efficient focal points?

I think Kyrie will get 18-20 shots, Hayward 15-18 and Horford  15-18 shots in our offense. It will take a change in philosophy to get a 4th player more shots per game than a healthy Horford.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:23:15 PM by billysan »
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 03:12:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
yeah he might be 1st
That's just about as likely as Irving being our third scorer.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I think Kyrie will get 18-20 shots, Hayward 15-18 and Horford  15-18 shots in our offense. It will take a change in philosophy to get a 4th player more shots per game than a healthy Horford.
Horford averages 11.5 shots for his career. He been averaging less than 13 for the last three seasons. The likelihood that he'll average 15 shots this season is about the same as Brad Stevens suiting up for the backup PG spot.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I kind of thought it was consensus that Kyrie was going to lead the team in scoring, actually.

I picked Al, because I think he'll be a little more aggressive this year as he'll have more traditional/slower centers on him than he had last year when those defenders were stashed on Amir (at least at the start of games).

Smart or Morris wouldn't surprise me in the least. I also wouldn't be surprised if Tatum winds up being the go-to scorer on the second unit and has a sixth man season a la Ben Gordon '05.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I kind of thought it was consensus that Kyrie was going to lead the team in scoring, actually.
You thought I suggested Hayward will score more than Irving? LOL.

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Sorry, I read that wrong. My bad.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2017, 04:35:44 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Horford averages 11.5 shots for his career. He been averaging less than 13 for the last three seasons. The likelihood that he'll average 15 shots this season is about the same as Brad Stevens suiting up for the backup PG spot.

I thought of Stevens as more of a wing player anyway.

Guess we'lll have to wait and see. Good chance IMO that he gets that 15 this year.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Just to clarify, I think there's no doubt Irving will be our leading scorer. But I see a fairly realistic  scenario in which Hayward averages a quiet 17 ppg in a virtual tie with one or two other players. That's perhaps not necessarily likely, but won't be out of the ordinary, I think.

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Just to clarify, I think there's no doubt Irving will be our leading scorer. But I see a fairly realistic  scenario in which Hayward averages a quiet 17 ppg in a virtual tie with one or two other players. That's perhaps not necessarily likely, but won't be out of the ordinary, I think.
Yeah, I agree.  That's not very likely.

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
My gut wanted to go with Smart after seeing how well he was playing in the preseason, but I think Horford's efficiency is the safest bet. He won't blow anyone's mind per usual, but I think another 14 point season is reasonable, with many of our other key players right behind him (i.e., Smart, Morris, Brown, maybe even Tatum).

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd like to see it be either Brown or Tatum but I don't see Brown taking many shots because he seems passive at times and I don't see Tatum getting the minutes until late in the year.  Hence, my pick Horford.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
yeah he might be 1st
That's just about as likely as Irving being our third scorer.

That's just dumb. The gap between Horford and Hayward is greater than the gap between Kyrie and Hayward.

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:29 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

No chance.  Hayward is a stud and he took a leap of faith to join us AND his former college coach is our head coach.  There is no world in which Gordon Hayward doesnt get the ball enough to score at least 18-20 ppg, and there is no world in which anyone besides hayward and irving are averaging more than 18 ppg this season (without injury to one of them).

Hayward COULD average 25 and Irving 22 though.  Hayward being our 1st leading scorer is WAYYYY more likely than him being our third leading scorer.  You've let the preseason cloud your view.