Author Topic: Kyrie is vegan  (Read 7926 times)

Re: Kyrie is vegan
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If anyone has any good resources/websites for some vegetarian recipes, I'd greatly appreciate them sharing them.

My wife and I have been talking about going vegetarian one or two days a week for awhile now (really just to be more healthy and to do our part in cutting out excess and help the environment), but it's hard to make that step given how focused on meat the typical Western diet is, especially those from the rural Midwest.

I'm also an avid lifter with higher protein needs, and I don't really eat fish or seafood, which has also been somewhat of a roadblock and made us more reliant on poultry and red meat.

Vegan or vegetarian?  I realize that this probably won't help much in terms of health, lol, but vegan blueberry muffins and pies at Whole Foods are awesome.  Trust me, I was completely surprised.  That was a couple of years ago, though, in terms of pie, so idk what they have now, but with the blueberry muffins, for some reason they're actually moist, as opposed to the normal ones which tend to be on the dry side, imo.  Don't ask me why that is, though.

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 11:02:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
If anyone has any good resources/websites for some vegetarian recipes, I'd greatly appreciate them sharing them.

My wife and I have been talking about going vegetarian one or two days a week for awhile now (really just to be more healthy and to do our part in cutting out excess and help the environment), but it's hard to make that step given how focused on meat the typical Western diet is, especially those from the rural Midwest.

I'm also an avid lifter with higher protein needs, and I don't really eat fish or seafood, which has also been somewhat of a roadblock and made us more reliant on poultry and red meat.
it is not hard. try something called google. i hear it helps find things for you.  ;D

soups = start off with porcini mushrooms, rinsed. let them sit in warm water for 1/2 hour. then add them and the water to boiling water. 5 minutes later, add white mushrooms. 5 minutes later add shi take mushrooms. 5 minutes later add oyster mushrooms. 5 minutes later add some other mushroom or any veggie you like...any will do. if you like it, cut it up and put it in. let cook  on low heat for 45 minutes...dont boil.

add salt, pepper, basil, maybe a hot pepper if you like spicy. ta da!! mushroom soup.

pizza = do them as you usually do, but dont add meat. instead, mushrooms, tomato slices, basil, garlic, etc.

tofu = the most misunderstood food in the US.  :P buy good tofu, korea makes some of the best so go to your local korean market. take it out of the package and rinse quickly. then, on a cutting board, gently slice it into flat rectangles (maybe 2" by 2") and fry in olive oil until nicely brown on both sides. let drain. you can put it in curry, make sandos with tomatoes, etc. add some soy sauce if you want. or thousand island dressing, ranch, whatever, as a dip.

this aint rocket science.

and google capri salad. great stuff as a side dish.

oh, and if you go organic with all this, you get bonus points.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 11:08:45 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55

honestly the best thing to do is just use google... if you want something particular just type "vegan" in front of desired meal .. ex vegan pad tai.. but if you want just random recipes tryveg.com or even go to larger commercial sites like food network etc... If you are eating out use yelp.com and just type vegan...cheers

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

it is not hard. try something called google. i hear it helps find things for you.  ;D

soups = start off with porcini mushrooms, rinsed. let them sit in warm water for 1/2 hour. then add them and the water to boiling water. 5 minutes later, add white mushrooms. 5 minutes later add shi take mushrooms. 5 minutes later add oyster mushrooms. 5 minutes later add some other mushroom or any veggie you like...any will do. if you like it, cut it up and put it in. let cook  on low heat for 45 minutes...dont boil.

add salt, pepper, basil, maybe a hot pepper if you like spicy. ta da!! mushroom soup.

pizza = do them as you usually do, but dont add meat. instead, mushrooms, tomato slices, basil, garlic, etc.

tofu = the most misunderstood food in the US.  :P buy good tofu, korea makes some of the best so go to your local korean market. take it out of the package and rinse quickly. then, on a cutting board, gently slice it into flat rectangles (maybe 2" by 2") and fry in olive oil until nicely brown on both sides. let drain. you can put it in curry, make sandos with tomatoes, etc. add some soy sauce if you want. or thousand island dressing, ranch, whatever, as a dip.

this aint rocket science.

and google capri salad. great stuff as a side dish.

oh, and if you go organic with all this, you get bonus points.  ;D

Beans, lentils, chic peas, etc are an excellent source for proteins, without the cholesterol. They can be made to be very tasty in several ways, so many recipes.

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997

I'll PM you some in a sec.

As far as protein needs, it's generally not as big an issue as many people think.  Any well-balanced diet provides more than adequate protein even for athletes, vegetarian, vegan, or meat-based.  It's true that in general plant proteins are less complete, but again balance will provide all the essential amino acids you need.

I'm a professional human nutritionist by the way and I am vegan.  I also lift weights regularly and anecdotally, I'm pound for pound stronger than ever since I've gone completely plant-based.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
Good for him! It's hard being a vegan. Can't survive without my meat! Of course, I do have a fair share of veggies/salad/fruits too...  :P

You could dude... its really more of a mental thing than anything.. but I understand everyone is different and do not want to make that commitment... but the food is progressively much better and more attainable.. The new veggie burgers from Impossible and Beyond Meat really mimic the texture and taste of the real thing...

Its really refreshing to see the positivity from this thread on this topic..
It gets old when you talk about a plant based or vegan and some child rebuttals "bacon"..
to our health.. cheers
It is also an enviromental and for some a moral issue.

At it's core, veganism is an ethical code.  Most people simply equate it to a dietary choice, when in fact it's ethics that drive those choices.

As PaulAllen wrote, veganism addresses many of the biggest issues facing our world today:
- Environmental degradation (even if you don't believe in global warming, to which animal agriculture is a major contributor, the manure lagoons are tangible enough)
- Human suffering - exploited human workers, often immigrants who can be paid below minimum - severe physical injuries, on the job deaths, mental health conditions including PTSD in slaughterhouse workers
- Incalculable amounts of animal suffering in concentrated animal feeding operations

But let me take it a step further and assert that the way we produce food in this country is a direct contributing factor in global food insecurity.  I wrote a paper filled to the brim with references about this, but I'll give you the short version.  In sum, 75% of the world's agricultural land is dedicated to animal agriculture and the absurd amount of inputs it requires, most notably food inputs primarily comprised of GMO corn and soy.  According to USDA and other data, approximately 1/2 of the world's coarse grains and soy are dedicated for animal feed, while only 1/3 is used for actual human food.  For corn in the US, only 12% or so was used for actual human food, with the rest of it going to either animal feed or for biofuel production.

Think about that for a second.  We're feeding millions of dollars worth of food (and far more total food) to animals instead of people - an incredibly inefficient process of food production due to the sheer amount of food needed to produce an equivalent amount of food by weight of animal flesh.  Some estimates assert that we could feed 4 billion additional people if we stopped feeding these crops to animals stuck in concentrated animal feeding operations and fed people instead.

Further, these food inputs are heavily subsidized by our government, along with other inputs - energy, petroleum based fertilizers, antibiotics, etc.  Direct subsidies of commodity crops such as corn, wheat, barley, soy artificially suppresses world prices of these foods, meaning that farmers in peripheral economies (3rd world countries) cannot grow their own food competitively to earn a living.  It's estimated that 2.7 billion people rely on small-scale agriculture for their own food and subsistence.  There's no way for these people to compete.  They don't have the resources/capital to do so.

Good for him! It's hard being a vegan. Can't survive without my meat! Of course, I do have a fair share of veggies/salad/fruits too...  :P

It can be difficult at first, but if you internalize the reasons to commit to (or trend towards) veganism - such as the things written above - it actually is really easy.  Easier than ever before  because there's so many good recipes out there and the market for vegetarian/vegan products has exploded.  There's cashew (or other nut) based cheeses (which are incredibly delicious) and meat replacement products have come a very, very long way.  But certainly it's all up to what you feel comfortable with, and even cutting back on some animal products goes a long way.

Im glad you added this... Animal agriculture is tearing down the size of a football field every second of the day basically just to provide more room for livestock and feed.... In the end our population will continue to grow therefore our land will start to shrink.. Rainforests are in danger.. The ozone is in danger... We are doing a terrible job providing a future for the generations that have yet to come..

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 11:23:07 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
As far as protein my intake is about 60 grams a day.. and yes I workout..
most beans or lentils are around 15grams, peanuts 25, tofu 15, greens like broccoli, kale, collards etc are 5-8 so its easy to get your desired amounts .. Heck I eat those Beyond Burgers all the time now and they are about 25 grams..

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 12:30:39 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Seriously though good for Kyrie. He's seemingly taking care of himself at a young age.

I don't know KG's diet but he seemed serious about taking care of himself as well - all the way up until the very late 30's when he retired.

When dude put us on his back and helped us get to the ECF in 2012 he was what? 35 or 36?

It can be done with discipline.

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 01:28:11 AM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Im  vegan as well and after this news I got so freaking excited.   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Go Paleo.  "Eat like a predator, not like prey".

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

I'd respect a diet like that more if you were eating predators, if the menu were alligator, bear, shark. Instead of tame harmless cows.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton

I'd respect a diet like that more if you were eating predators, if the menu were alligator, bear, shark. Instead of tame harmless cows.

lol predator huh?

Predators kill with their hands and teeth. You go to the store and purchase.
Predators eats the flesh raw. You cook it it with butter and lots of salt.
Get real man you are not alpha or macho by eating meat you are just setting yourself for an early death. Real men show compassion.

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2017, 10:49:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
NOTE we do have incisors, they are not terribly effective to hunt with.

Predators kill with their hands and teeth. You go to the store and purchase.
Predators eats the flesh raw. You cook it it with butter and lots of salt.
Get real man you are not alpha or macho by eating meat you are just setting yourself for an early death. Real men show compassion.

But man has always used tools to kill his prey.  It has placed us, when we have these tools at the top of the food chain.   

I am taking your man card, so that people don't have to hear this drivel from a psuedo real man.  You are a fake real man!   JK

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Do you know how many bugs, snails and slugs cows devour without any regard to their very existence?

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
NOTE we do have incisors.

Gorillas, hippos, and baboons have some of  the largest incisors... they eats plants