Author Topic: Kyrie is vegan  (Read 7931 times)

Re: Kyrie is vegan
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's not going vegan, he's cutting supplementing more veg over meat. I'm sure he'll have some chicken or fish hear and there, and cheese and eggs are probably part of the plan for protein.

We've been heading into that route. Small portions of meat, usually chicken, beef of occasions, more salads with meals, and an other veg. Even switched over to veggie pasta, which is actually quite good. We tried wheat pasta, but the texture was gross.

Also gone over to making our own bread, cutting out the chemicals store bought bread has. We aren't 100% in on everything, don't have the time, and I like my cool Ranch Doritos now and then But eating the stuff that isn't quite as good for you in moderation.

By body hasn't changed much over the last few months,  lost maybe 5lbs with out working out, but I need to lose weight before I start work outs to save my back and knees. But mentally its been a big improvement. Less mood swings, less down moments, and less blow ups from stress. My head feels lighter more often than not, and it's been great.

Oh yeah, bacon, can't cut that out. :)

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He is known for liking nightlife so I wonder if he is a Pistol Pete type vegan- veggies and booze ;) 

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
He is known for liking nightlife so I wonder if he is a Pistol Pete type vegan- veggies and booze ;)

lol nothing like a nice falafel after rigorous boozing!!

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
https://www.si.com/eats/2017/10/12/kyrie-irving-celtics-plant-based-diet

Interesting. I wonder if it's really a vegan diet or just vegetarian with dairy and eggs included.

I like how he says our young players have old souls.

He is plant based ... its becoming a trend in the NBA now because its stops inflammation,helps recovery, increases energy, and helps maintain ideal playing weight... the eggs and dairy are heavy animal proteins that would just negatively affect the process.. Look at Wilson Chandlers story, pretty amaing..

This.

I'm a 63 year old long distance cyclist and a plant based diet has helped me roll back the clock about 20 years.

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 02:26:12 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
In all seriousness, being vegan should add a couple of years to his prime years and to his overall years in the league. It should also help his performance every year.  A proper vegan diet decreases inflammation and helps maintain joint health.

I don't suppose you have anything resembling actual research or evidence to back this claim up?

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 02:26:30 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
they are literally as charming as the dogs and cats we learn to love

This. Although I have decided recently after 12 years of vegetarianism to eat fish if need be, after staring down a protein deficiency. Fish are not quite charming enough. But I will definitely never eat another mammal again. Way too charming. Every pig we ever consume has just as much personality as the dogs we love as family.

Anyway, I'm sure whichever diet Kyrie decides on, it will be informed by and supplied by chefs and nutritionists to match his needs as an athlete perfectly and be really delicious at the same time.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Good for him! It's hard being a vegan. Can't survive without my meat! Of course, I do have a fair share of veggies/salad/fruits too...  :P

You could dude... its really more of a mental thing than anything.. but I understand everyone is different and do not want to make that commitment... but the food is progressively much better and more attainable.. The new veggie burgers from Impossible and Beyond Meat really mimic the texture and taste of the real thing...

Its really refreshing to see the positivity from this thread on this topic..
It gets old when you talk about a plant based or vegan and some child rebuttals "bacon"..
to our health.. cheers

Wow, I would swear that there would be some people on here debating how "goofy" or "girly" vegetarian/vegan diets are. It is comforting that fewer people are likely to argue against healthy practices at the expense of looking a certain way.

I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, but I do know that I would be healthier if I pursued this path. If I made protein a priority, I don't believe that I would have to consume as much meat as the average American. In this country where obesity is becoming the norm, it is refreshing to see people focus on healthy living.

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
Good for him! It's hard being a vegan. Can't survive without my meat! Of course, I do have a fair share of veggies/salad/fruits too...  :P

You could dude... its really more of a mental thing than anything.. but I understand everyone is different and do not want to make that commitment... but the food is progressively much better and more attainable.. The new veggie burgers from Impossible and Beyond Meat really mimic the texture and taste of the real thing...

It gets old when you talk about a plant based or vegan and some child rebuttals "bacon"..
to our health.. cheers
It is also an enviromental and for some a moral issue.

At it's core, veganism is an ethical code.  Most people simply equate it to a dietary choice, when in fact it's ethics that drive those choices.

As PaulAllen wrote, veganism addresses many of the biggest issues facing our world today:
- Environmental degradation (even if you don't believe in global warming, to which animal agriculture is a major contributor, the manure lagoons are tangible enough)
- Human suffering - exploited human workers, often immigrants who can be paid below minimum - severe physical injuries, on the job deaths, mental health conditions including PTSD in slaughterhouse workers
- Incalculable amounts of animal suffering in concentrated animal feeding operations

But let me take it a step further and assert that the way we produce food in this country is a direct contributing factor in global food insecurity.  I wrote a paper filled to the brim with references about this, but I'll give you the short version.  In sum, 75% of the world's agricultural land is dedicated to animal agriculture and the absurd amount of inputs it requires, most notably food inputs primarily comprised of GMO corn and soy.  According to USDA and other data, approximately 1/2 of the world's coarse grains and soy are dedicated for animal feed, while only 1/3 is used for actual human food.  For corn in the US, only 12% or so was used for actual human food, with the rest of it going to either animal feed or for biofuel production.

Think about that for a second.  We're feeding millions of dollars worth of food (and far more total food) to animals instead of people - an incredibly inefficient process of food production due to the sheer amount of food needed to produce an equivalent amount of food by weight of animal flesh.  Some estimates assert that we could feed 4 billion additional people if we stopped feeding these crops to animals stuck in concentrated animal feeding operations and fed people instead.

Further, these food inputs are heavily subsidized by our government, along with other inputs - energy, petroleum based fertilizers, antibiotics, etc.  Direct subsidies of commodity crops such as corn, wheat, barley, soy artificially suppresses world prices of these foods, meaning that farmers in peripheral economies (3rd world countries) cannot grow their own food competitively to earn a living.  It's estimated that 2.7 billion people rely on small-scale agriculture for their own food and subsistence.  There's no way for these people to compete.  They don't have the resources/capital to do so.

It can be difficult at first, but if you internalize the reasons to commit to (or trend towards) veganism - such as the things written above - it actually is really easy.  Easier than ever before  because there's so many good recipes out there and the market for vegetarian/vegan products has exploded.  There's cashew (or other nut) based cheeses (which are incredibly delicious) and meat replacement products have come a very, very long way.  But certainly it's all up to what you feel comfortable with, and even cutting back on some animal products goes a long way.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I hope he accidentally eats red meat, is made aware of it afterward, and shames himself.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White

to our health.. cheers

Wow, I would swear that there would be some people on here debating how "goofy" or "girly" vegetarian/vegan diets are. It is comforting that fewer people are likely to argue against healthy practices at the expense of looking a certain way.

I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, but I do know that I would be healthier if I pursued this path. If I made protein a priority, I don't believe that I would have to consume as much meat as the average American. In this country where obesity is becoming the norm, it is refreshing to see people focus on healthy living.

I agree - I'm a bit surprised there haven't been any negative comments here because veganism still does catch a lot of flack, mainly because it can be quite a touchy subject especially for people who don't like having their dietary choices questioned.  That and some vegans can be obnoxious about it, which understandably turns people off.

Now I'm not sure Kyrie is actually vegan, but there are some athletes heading in that direction.  Damian Lillard for one.  David Carter and Trent Williams of the NFL.  Colin Kaepernick (not sure if he still is.  not a particularly good QB, but a heck of an athlete).  Even some MMA fighters - Mac Danzig and Jake Shields.  I don't think these people are considered pansies.

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 09:44:49 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
In all seriousness, being vegan should add a couple of years to his prime years and to his overall years in the league. It should also help his performance every year.  A proper vegan diet decreases inflammation and helps maintain joint health.

I don't suppose you have anything resembling actual research or evidence to back this claim up?

It's difficult to truly assess systemic inflammation as it pertains to diet, but it does have a strong biochemical theory to support it.

There are small studies showing people that follow vegetarian and vegan diets who have lower levels of biochemical markers of inflammation in their bloodstream such as C-reactive protein, such as http://dlweb01.tzuchi.com.tw/DL/AcdActive/content/research/document/home/long/Total%20cardiovascular%20risk%20profile%20of%20Taiwanese%20vegetarians.pdf
https://arthritis-research.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/ar2388
There was a better study than these that I read in the past but I can't find it.

There's also the poorly understood link between the microflora of the gastrointestinal tract and inflammation (additionally, ~75% of the immune system is in the GI tract), but there's many hypotheses that the western diet high in sugar, animal products, and total calories contributes to poor digestive health and an imbalance of pathogenic bacteria, which in turn promotes systemic inflammation.  Vegan and vegetarian diets are thought to contribute to a healthy gut microflora and better digestive health.

Finally, obesity itself is a condition of low-grade systemic inflammation.  Numerous cross-sectional studies have shown that vegans and vegetarians are far more often within a weight range that is considered to be healthy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:01:14 PM by SCeltic34 »

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 10:17:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yabuey is eaten

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 10:21:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Like, omg, total deal breaker ::).

nah probably haagen daaz or ben and jerrys almond based ice creams...
kale ice cream **** is that?

I misremembered. It's avocado ice cream, a Tom Brady specialty.  TB eats kale in everything else.

Barf, and kale gives you absolutely nothing, but enjoy that yoga food ::).

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
If anyone has any good resources/websites for some vegetarian recipes, I'd greatly appreciate them sharing them.

My wife and I have been talking about going vegetarian one or two days a week for awhile now (really just to be more healthy and to do our part in cutting out excess and help the environment), but it's hard to make that step given how focused on meat the typical Western diet is, especially those from the rural Midwest.

I'm also an avid lifter with higher protein needs, and I don't really eat fish or seafood, which has also been somewhat of a roadblock and made us more reliant on poultry and red meat.

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
https://www.si.com/eats/2017/10/12/kyrie-irving-celtics-plant-based-diet

Interesting. I wonder if it's really a vegan diet or just vegetarian with dairy and eggs included.

I like how he says our young players have old souls.

He is plant based ... its becoming a trend in the NBA now because its stops inflammation,helps recovery, increases energy, and helps maintain ideal playing weight... the eggs and dairy are heavy animal proteins that would just negatively affect the process.. Look at Wilson Chandlers story, pretty amaing..

This.

I'm a 63 year old long distance cyclist and a plant based diet has helped me roll back the clock about 20 years.
about the same, minus the biking. but as noted above, eating mostly veggies makes you physically and mentally healthier. less depression, less feeling down, more energy. i just dont feel as heavy or sedentary.

plus, i still eat most types of foods i did before reducing most meats. pizza? yep. pasta? easy. sandos? a tomato sando with mustard and mayo is yummy. soups? love them. and since i eat a lot of korean food, that gives a lot of variety of veggies as well as great tofu dishes. (something most americans have not yet figured out.) add indian, thai, and other cuisines and reducing meat is not that hard.

it is not as if life is reduced only to salads.

so....goooooooooooooo veggies!!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva