Author Topic: Deandre Ayton final piece of the puzzle?  (Read 4435 times)

Re: Deandre Ayton final piece of the puzzle?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
When was the last time you seen a center move like Ayton?  His footwork, athleticism, overall skills

Last year - Justin Patton.

Doesn't even look like is trying very hard and could dial it up another notch.  Shooting stroke short, compact, functional.

And that's what worries me, not to mention that his 1.3 bpg is kind of alarming given his physical profile, imo.

Either way, it's too early for this stuff, lol.

Patton didn’t move like Ayton and Ayton is far more skilled and athletic. I wouldn’t think to compare these guys.

Patton went to a non power school and was not highly touted in HS, and he got drafted out of the lottery last year. Ayton has been on the radar for years and might go #1 over a “generational” player in Marvin Bagley.

That said, I’d certainly like to see more before I crown him.

Exactly...

Celts could use a real big... Horford is not the answer  vs bigger centers

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 04:31:35 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
He'd be great, but it doesn't matter, we aren't going to get him. We'd need the #2 or #3 pick, but barring the injury bug hits LAL the way it has us, we don't have much of a chance to get a pick that high.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
He'd be great, but it doesn't matter, we aren't going to get him. We'd need the #2 or #3 pick, but barring the injury bug hits LAL the way it has us, we don't have much of a chance to get a pick that high.

Never bet against a trade, my friend.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 04:44:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Is it fair to say we're waitin for Ayton?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I love ayton and his offensive ability but I'm starting to question his defense. Arizona is getting scored on tremendously. This has made me start leaning toward Wendell Carter, who has a well balanced 2 way game

This is someone's critical take on aytons defense:

It's not that he's a big who can't protect the rim. He's clueless. KAT is struggling to defend in the NBA, but he tries. He doesn't miss every rotation, he's not lost on every switch, he knows when to block and when not to (actually, that 's not entirely true)l ike ayton does. Ayton doesn't box out properly, has no feel for waiting for the perfect moment to contest, doesn't communicate on defense...

And to me, the biggest flaw of his (and other bad defenders that make me cringe) : He has no idea what tendencies are. He guards elite 3pt shooters the same way he guards slash-only guards. He doesn't direct traffic or forces guys to their weak hand, or sags off bad shooters...he just...sticks around until a shot is made.

Okafor, who is heavily criticized, has all those instincts but his motor and physical tools limit his defensive upside. He'll never be a great defender. But Ayton has it all. He reminds me of Kansas Wiggins; all the tools

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'd disagree that Okafor has those instincts, but it's clear that Ayton isn't showing them.  The question is can he develop them.  Watching him over the whole season and seeing if he improves over the course of the season will be a big part of what I pay attention to. 

FWIW, Bagley's defense hasn't looked good either.  But both guys certainly have the tools.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 11:13:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I'd disagree that Okafor has those instincts, but it's clear that Ayton isn't showing them.  The question is can he develop them.  Watching him over the whole season and seeing if he improves over the course of the season will be a big part of what I pay attention to. 

FWIW, Bagley's defense hasn't looked good either.  But both guys certainly have the tools.
i agree that Bagley doesn’t either. I’m liking what I see from Wendell carter though. He seems the most complete 2 way big from the draft

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 11:15:25 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Carter's a solid defender imo, but he has an old school Z-Bo offensive game that I don't think plays up well.

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Carter's a solid defender imo, but he has an old school Z-Bo offensive game that I don't think plays up well.
you know what’s funny? They said the same exact thing about Tatum. "old school post moves. Don't know if he has 3 pt range."

Just like Tatum, Carter has a nice shooting form that has shown occasional flashes from 3 (at a lesser frequency than Tatum).