Author Topic: C's sign Daniel Ochefu  (Read 5911 times)

Re: C's sign Daniel Ochefu
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Ochefu..... :o

Gesundheit ! 

:)

TP Funny....

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 05:39:35 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He's a steal... for the Red Claws.

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
step in the right direction but I'd much prefer to get t rob back from russia. can't see why we didn't nab him.

at this point, I'd take tiago splitter if this guy goes to maine.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 11:09:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
It's all I could really find of him in the NBA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9LouXSYahE

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 11:27:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Kinda fits in the mold of high IQ/ character guys that Danny and CBS are bringing in.

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 02:16:42 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Beat LA should be pleased.

I should add, I expect he might be released again so the Celtics can send him to Maine.  This would help him gain familiarity with the system, but he’d be free to sign with anyone who offered him an NBA deal.

Lol, thanks man - TP.  I agree though, he's probably just going to spend the year in Maine if he doesn't get a better offer after being released (I'm assuming, anyway) on Monday, as you said, but I'll enjoy this for a little while nonetheless.  Thanks for letting me have this one for a day or two, haha.

Who?

Oh, no one of consequence, just the guy who anchored Villanova's defense when they upset UNC in the 2016 NCAA Championship game ::).

10 minute pre-draft video 2016 - Didn't get drafted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGrUEdKDI8

Article about Wizard's Summer League...mention of Ochefu.
https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/7/15/15971204/washington-wizards-summer-league-nba-2017-player-development

"Daniel Ochefu raised some eyebrows with his play too. He wasn’t as flashy or nearly as athletic as Mac but was able to muster 7.2 points and 6.4 rebounds in just 21.2 minutes of action per night......"

...."However, when he was matched up against the up-and-rising talent in Bam Adebayo of the Miami Heat, Ochefu turned in his worst game of the tournament while Adebayo put up a rock solid 16 point, 7 rebound performance."

For what it's worth, Wizards' fans over at Bullets Forever hated him and couldn't understand why he was ever on the roster, although his summer league performance seemed to temporarily placate them, lol.

That said, the account of Bam Adebayo scoring 16 points against Ochefu is rather misleading.  Yes, the former Wildcat did commit a ridiculous 9 fouls :o, but Bam didn't make a field goal in the first half of that game, going 0/3 from the field (two of which were very close to the rim), and shot just 4/10 overall, although he did make 8/10 from the line, and while I didn't see the game, myself, in looking over the play-by-play, Ochefu was out there for at least Bam's first two shots and played most of the first half, so I'm not saying that he locked Adebayo up or anything, but he must have done something right :-\.

Here are the highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsd7vAzxk9Q

My opinion: Rather decent passer...Brad will like that. Somewhat disruptive defender...deflecting passes and blocking shots. Seems decent offensively near the hoop.

Not super athletic... will be pushed around by stronger players. He'll have to work on his shooting, quickness and awareness on the court.

I like the signing....maybe he's just a G-League pickup for now?

He's at least a very good passer, imo, and has a nice jump hook over both shoulders in the post, plus a little jumper that he rarely uses, but yeah, defensively is where he makes his impact, despite his propensity to foul, although he has been much better with that during the preseason, and while he's probably just a decent athlete, he runs the court pretty well for a guy his size, imo.  Where I disagree with you is in terms of his lacking strength, as that's one of his, well, strengths, lol.  If the guy can successfully gain position against and score on guys like Kennedy Meeks, at 275 pounds in college, Bam "The Bodybuilder" Adebayo, AJ Hammons, and even Perk, as you'll see, I don't think that he'll have any problem posting up in the NBA, if he ever gets that chance, anyway. 

His lateral quickness, too, is a major selling point with him, imo, as he moves his feet extremely well and is everywhere, defensively, even against Cleveland this past Sunday.  If you look at his stat line, it's rather pathetic, lol, as he had just 2 points on 1/2 fg with one rebound (defensive), assist, steal, block (of the chase-down variety on Richard Jefferson), plus a turnover, each, to go along with 4 fouls in 24 minutes, but Washington was +5 with him on the court during that time.  Again, I didn't see the game, but even from these highlights you can see his effort and intelligence, imo.  He switched out effectively off of a pin down and got his hand up, which took away from Korver's vision and at least helped force a turnover, didn't concede a dunk to R.J., got his right hand in the passing lane and deflected what was supposed to be a pass to Kay Felder, and, overall, just seems to know where to be on defense, imo.  Thibs would probably call him a "multiple efforts" guy or something.  So yeah, he's not perfect, and he did miss that dunk, lol, but in terms of being able to move his feet, I mean, he stayed with Kay Felder.  Well, I like him, anyway :-\.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBDS5eB5xk

Oops, almost forgot - I thought that he played really well in last year's season finale against the Heat in Miami, which, to date, represents his only outing with extended minutes if you want to call it that, lol :laugh:.

http://www.espn.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400900599

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qylJCsmcZAU

We'd also do well to sign Peter Jok, imo.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:46:44 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 04:41:25 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
step in the right direction but I'd much prefer to get t rob back from russia. can't see why we didn't nab him.

at this point, I'd take tiago splitter if this guy goes to maine.

Because Robinson has never done enough to stick anywhere in the NBA and likely got some nice cash to play for Khimki Moscow. They now have a number of former NBA talent on their roster and want to make a Euroleague run. Ochefu is just a body and should never play one second for the Celtics. Just a G league player until something better comes a long.

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 04:47:14 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Who?  I think it's the first time I hear this name.

Thanks for the detailed write up Beatla.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Ochefu has a 16% rebounding average in the NBA.
And then there is this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znGFvgRfD7w

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 12:09:26 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Ochefu was waived according to HoopsRumors: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/10/celtics-waive-daniel-ochefu.html

And I was just about to make a dad joke about us already having one Daniel.. :(
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 11:34:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Deng, I thought that they'd waive him at midnight, instead.  Oh well, it was fun while it lasted :laugh:.