Author Topic: not a three point shot made  (Read 4235 times)

Re: not a three point shot made
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Simmons is going to struggle to score early in his career (outside of transition). He's so good at other aspects of the game, though, he doesn't need to score to be an impact player.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Simmons is special in transition basketball.  In half court sets, he will face some of the same issues as Rondo unless he can start to hit an outside shot. His free throw shooting is awful, so am not encouraged. I thought Tatum did a decent job on him in the first game, did not see the 2nd game.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 04:20:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Simmons is going to struggle to score early in his career (outside of transition). He's so good at other aspects of the game, though, he doesn't need to score to be an impact player.
He won’t be the guy to score buckets when the Sixers need them, but I bet his point totals will be fairly high overall.  I could see him scoring 16 or 17 points per game, which will be as high as any other rookie.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Simmons is special in transition basketball.  In half court sets, he will face some of the same issues as Rondo unless he can start to hit an outside shot. His free throw shooting is awful, so am not encouraged. I thought Tatum did a decent job on him in the first game, did not see the 2nd game.

He was pretty much shut down again until we put out our non-nba guys.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Can see teams employing hack-a-Simmons strategies at the end of close games with Sixers.

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He won’t be the guy to score buckets when the Sixers need them, but I bet his point totals will be fairly high overall.  I could see him scoring 16 or 17 points per game, which will be as high as any other rookie.
I hill doubt he'll score that highly, unless Embiid misses a significant amount of time forcing Simmons to be the #2 or #3 option.

He's definitely behind Embiid and Saric in terms of shots, and might be behind Reddick
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I hill doubt he'll score that highly, unless Embiid misses a significant amount of time forcing Simmons to be the #2 or #3 option.

He's definitely behind Embiid and Saric in terms of shots, and might be behind Reddick
Embiid will miss plenty of time.  I think Simmons might take more shots than anyone other than Embiid when he is healthy.  Simmons is going to have the ball and he thinks he’s the man.  As long as he doesn’t become scared of the foul line he will keep attacking the rim in transition and the halfcourt.

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
A rookie of year, that can't hit  or take a three point shot  in preseason .0000000 on three attempts-that takes away so many options for Philly
Simmons then shoots 3.93% on free throws--and .490 from field

AND TATUM is in the mix to start against Cleveland.

There are three rookies  that have shooting woes from three point territory,one with no mid range and two that can't shoot foul shots.That's not even starting in on their defense
.Lonzo has got all his air time on a reality TV show and Fultz is nursing a sore shoulder

Min     Pts    Reb    Ast    Stl    Blk    Tov     fg%     3p%    ft% 
Tatum         24.3    8.3    4.0     1.5    1.0   0.5    1.3    38.2     33.3    60.0
Simmons     22.8  11.4    6.2     5.4    1.4   0.8    2.0    49.0       0.0    40.9

Tatum's preseason numbers don't look like a ROY candidate.  He's got to shoot a lot more efficiently to be in the conversation. 

There are plenty of successful NBA players that are not good shooters.  Simmons 3pt outside shooting needs a lot of work but it shouldn't be a top priority this season.  The focus should be finishing at the rim, running the half court offense and defense.  His free throw shooting is more important at this point than his outside shooting.   Simmons floor is a 6'10" 240lb Rondo which is not bad at all.

Thats a hard comparison. Tatum is option 4 or 5 with the starting unit. Simmons has the ball in his hands more often. While Simmons may win the ROY, he may not be the better of the two long term, and thats all I care about. ROY is overrated.

Also Simmons doens't shoot poor from the 3pt line, it's none existent, and he will get exposed if he doesn't get to at least 25%.

It's funny how people call Smart a bust because he shot around 30% so far, but improved every wheres else and plays top notch D, but when you have  a guy that shoots worse, and can't play D, he just needs time....
The OP referred to ROY.  I agree ROY doesn't matter much.  The time to judge rookies is at the end of their rookie contracts. 

Everybody knows Simmons shooting needs a lot of work.  It is his other skills that give him superstar potential.  Tatum on the other hand has to be good offensively.  If Tatum is not an efficient shooter as a 4th or 5th option that is going to be a much bigger issue for him. 

Smart is going into his 4th season.  He's not a bust.  He's a reasonably good role player.  Maybe his weight loss and being in better shape will lead to some improvement.   However his potential is a lot less than Simmons or Tatum.   Ainge apparently hasn't even made an extension offer to Smart which says a lot.

Tatum seems to be adjusted quickly than what I expected in defense and being or 4th option. He has ways to go, but I think he'll be fine in the long run.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 09:55:43 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Admittedly I haven't watched Simmons much, only some highlights on youtube and the pre-season games against the Sixers.  But other than his occasional explosive drives to and scoring around the hoop, I'm really not impressed, even beyond his lack of ability to shoot.

I didn't see any signs of good footwork.  It didn't seem like he knows how to use a jumpstop, which reminds me a lot of Jeff Green (no I'm not making a direct comparison).  I didn't see any advanced dribbles or moves.  He didn't look to be poised, which is understandable given his lack of experience, but it was downright terrible at times trying to force plays and make passes that weren't there.  I wasn't impressed with his defense either.

I'm not impressed by the Sixers, with exception to Embiid who truly is a beast but his health concerns make him a huge question mark.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 11:57:09 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
I do agree that Fultz is the one that they should be concerned about. I read a stat that he did not take a single perimeter shot over the 47 minutes he played during preseason games. Not just a 3pt attempt, no perimeter attempts period. His 24 shots taken were all on drives and he had a lot of open opportunities.

Check out the space Bayless is giving Fultz during a scrimmage. Bayless obviously is aware that Fultz can't shoot so basically gives him the Rondo free safety treatment.

Think of how many threads each day we would see about Fultz's jumpshot if we drafted him. It would be the only thing Celtics fans would be talking about. Examinations, dissections, advice, flow charts, etc. Fans would be going crazy about it. For that alone I am glad he isn't our problem. I always thought Fultz's ceiling was pre-injury Brandon Roy. A very good player but not elite or #1 pic worthy. Right now who knows what he is until he fixes that mess of a shot.

Despite him having a good 3pt % in college, his poor Ft% was probably a red flag. There has been some work showing that poor Ft% in college doesn't bode well for shooters transitioning to the NBA. So maybe this was going to happen.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:06:19 AM by DooVoo »

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 09:51:20 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Admittedly I haven't watched Simmons much, only some highlights on youtube and the pre-season games against the Sixers.  But other than his occasional explosive drives to and scoring around the hoop, I'm really not impressed, even beyond his lack of ability to shoot.

I didn't see any signs of good footwork.  It didn't seem like he knows how to use a jumpstop, which reminds me a lot of Jeff Green (no I'm not making a direct comparison).  I didn't see any advanced dribbles or moves.  He didn't look to be poised, which is understandable given his lack of experience, but it was downright terrible at times trying to force plays and make passes that weren't there.  I wasn't impressed with his defense either.

I'm not impressed by the Sixers, with exception to Embiid who truly is a beast but his health concerns make him a huge question mark.

This. The Sixers don't impress me outside of Embiid. Simmons looks hopeless as a shooter, and Fultz looks like a moron. Furthermore, the Lakers and Ingram/Ball don't impress me either. Brown and Tatum own their draft years. We might as well have picked #1 both years. And we might see Smart be the best of his class by year's end if his shooting is average or even better.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I do agree that Fultz is the one that they should be concerned about. I read a stat that he did not take a single perimeter shot over the 47 minutes he played during preseason games. Not just a 3pt attempt, no perimeter attempts period. His 24 shots taken were all on drives and he had a lot of open opportunities.

Check out the space Bayless is giving Fultz during a scrimmage. Bayless obviously is aware that Fultz can't shoot so basically gives him the Rondo free safety treatment.

Think of how many threads each day we would see about Fultz's jumpshot if we drafted him. It would be the only thing Celtics fans would be talking about. Examinations, dissections, advice, flow charts, etc. Fans would be going crazy about it. For that alone I am glad he isn't our problem. I always thought Fultz's ceiling was pre-injury Brandon Roy. A very good player but not elite or #1 pic worthy. Right now who knows what he is until he fixes that mess of a shot.

Despite him having a good 3pt % in college, his poor Ft% was probably a red flag. There has been some work showing that poor Ft% in college doesn't bode well for shooters transitioning to the NBA. So maybe this was going to happen.

I'm with you on this. Glad we avoided the 10k threads on what's wrong with Fultz.
ok fine