Poll

Who does Brad use in the rotation?

Top 9 (Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Morris, Al, Smart, Rozier, Tatum, Baynes)
Top 9 + Yabu
Top 9 + Theis
Top 9 + Semi/Nader
Top 9 + Yabu/Theis + Semi/Nader

Author Topic: Poll: Who does Brad use in the rotation?  (Read 2056 times)

Poll: Who does Brad use in the rotation?
« on: October 12, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Brad traditionally plays a lot of guys, but seeing as how he's played Tatum more at the 4 than the 3 (which I'm not sure I agree with yet) I wouldn't mind a 9 man rotation.

Kyrie 32 / Rozier 16
Brown 28 / Smart 16 / Rozier 4
Hayward 32 / Smart 16
Morris 22 / Tatum 22 / Horford 4
Horford 26 / Baynes 22
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Re: Poll: Who does Brad use in the rotation?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:48:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would bet money that Nader has played his way out the rotation somewhat.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Brad traditionally plays a lot of guys, but seeing as how he's played Tatum more at the 4 than the 3 (which I'm not sure I agree with yet) I wouldn't mind a 9 man rotation.

Kyrie 32 / Rozier 16
Hayward 32 / Smart 16
Horford 26 / Baynes 22

I think Theis has played himself into some situational time share with Baynes.   Plus Baynes seems to use those fouls up in a hurry.  I don't know if it was just because it was the pre-season, but Stevens let him stay in there with a 3 quick fouls, which I'd be ok with with Theis begind him.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:09:45 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Those 9 are hopefully our playoff rotation, but in the regular season we need an additional big.

Since Yabu has looked as bad as anyone in pre-season, I will pencil in Theis for now.

I also think Semi could earn some minutes as a 3 & D combo forward.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:30:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Those 9 are hopefully our playoff rotation, but in the regular season we need an additional big.

Since Yabu has looked as bad as anyone in pre-season, I will pencil in Theis for now.

TP - I went with the last option and also believe that Theis and Semi seem like the best choices to come off the [deep] bench. You need more than a 9 player rotation in the regular season - and this doesn't even take into account injuries.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:34:42 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I prefer Theis but I picked Yabu because I think that's what they're leaning toward, from the pre-season games. Based on the last few games. Yabu is playing earlier. Theis had that strong first game, coming in early, but since then he's been pushed to the back end of the game.

I just get a sense Yabu is ahead in the rotation right now. Maybe they like his bulk and aggressiveness on the boards. Theis to me is the more polished player and looks in better shape.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
He is going to use a lot of guys to start the season, he will be Tinkerman like he always is or wants to be (until IT4 and Jae complained).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 12:13:11 AM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ

TP - I went with the last option and also believe that Theis and Semi seem like the best choices to come off the [deep] bench. You need more than a 9 player rotation in the regular season - and this doesn't even take into account injuries.

Bingo!

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 01:52:02 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Its brad Stevens.. He's going to use all 15. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see jabari bird called down in an injury situation

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 02:55:02 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Kyrie 32 / Rozier 16
Hayward 32 / Smart 16
Horford 26 / Baynes 22

I think Theis has played himself into some situational time share with Baynes.   Plus Baynes seems to use those fouls up in a hurry.  I don't know if it was just because it was the pre-season, but Stevens let him stay in there with a 3 quick fouls, which I'd be ok with with Theis begind him.

I don't see Baynes being able to play 20 minutes a night because of his fouling and I suspect they'll manage Horfords minutes moreso than in the past. Theis is much more polished than Yabu, so I think he ends up as 10th man with Larkin picking up 3rd PG minutes as the 11th. Think the 3rd PG role has to be developed and Smart will have enough on his plate as leader of the second unit and lead defender at the end of games (taking over AB's role) to reduce his PG minutes this year.

Also expect Irving and Hayward to have their minutes managed a bit given the depth the Cs have.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Its brad Stevens.. He's going to use all 15. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see jabari bird called down in an injury situation
I think this might be the year the trend stops. In past years the talent pool was such that there wasn't much separation between the #5 guy and the #12 guy so night to night Brad was always tinkering. I think this team has a clear top 9 and Theis looks like a smart, hard-nosed defender who can knock down a shot when needed so I expect him to get leftover backup big-man minutes.

But other than Thies, I think this year we're going to see a more regular rotation of those 9-10 guys.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would bet money that Nader has played his way out the rotation somewhat.

I think that presumes he was in the rotation to begin with.  He’s always been my pick for most likely to play with the Red Claws when everyone is healthy.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think this might be the year the trend stops. In past years the talent pool was such that there wasn't much separation between the #5 guy and the #12 guy so night to night Brad was always tinkering. I think this team has a clear top 9 and Theis looks like a smart, hard-nosed defender who can knock down a shot when needed so I expect him to get leftover backup big-man minutes.

But other than Thies, I think this year we're going to see a more regular rotation of those 9-10 guys.

I’d argue that it wasn’t really going to be the trend last year, either, but for the constant injuries that necessitated a lot of lineup shuffling.  The last two on the roster (Mickey and Jackson) barely saw the floor.  With 1-3 of our top rotation guys out many nights, it meant there were a lot more opportunities for the 11-13 men on the roster (Zeller, Green, and Young) to be in the rotation on any given night.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 41

Kyrie 32 / Rozier 16
Hayward 32 / Smart 16
Horford 26 / Baynes 22

I don't see Baynes being able to play 20 minutes a night because of his fouling and I suspect they'll manage Horfords minutes moreso than in the past. Theis is much more polished than Yabu, so I think he ends up as 10th man with Larkin picking up 3rd PG minutes as the 11th. Think the 3rd PG role has to be developed and Smart will have enough on his plate as leader of the second unit and lead defender at the end of games (taking over AB's role) to reduce his PG minutes this year.

Also expect Irving and Hayward to have their minutes managed a bit given the depth the Cs have.

If he adheres to his career average of roughly a foul every 7 minutes of playing time, he should have no trouble playing as often as Brad Stevens desires.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Just simple math dictates that they are going to need to use both Theis and Yabusele.   It's a long season and you need around 6000 minutes of 'big man' time, even if you play "small ball" about 50% of the time.

Al only played just under 2200 minutes last year and I'm doubtful Brad will want to play him more than ~2400 at the top end.   That means some ~3600 minutes need to be covered by Baynes, Theis & Yabusele.   Baynes has never played over 1233 minutes in his career so asking him to deliver much more than the ~1600 that Amir played last year is probably a stretch.    If he plays 1600, then that leaves around 1000 minutes each for Theis & Yabusele.   Maybe a little less.  Maybe a little more.

I note a comparison to the 2008 roster, which similarly had 4 true bigs (2 vets + 2 youngsters) eating most of the C/PF minutes in KG, Perk, Powe & Davis.  They totaled up in similar fashion, with Powe & Big Baby combining for 1700 minutes.   That team did later add PJ Brown and he, Scal and Pollard collectively combined for another 900 minutes of 'big' time, but my assumption is that difference today is probably made up with more small ball.

The point being, Theis and Yabusele will very likely each end up with somewhere between 800-1000 minutes, which is a pretty decent amount for a rookie.   If we play less small ball than last year, they both could get more.   Personally, I'm so sick of small ball I would like that.

Though at least this year, when we play 'small' it will more likely be with 3 wings and not with 3 guards (which is what we did a lot of last year).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:52:39 PM by mmmmm »
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.